Old vs. new FPS games?

Jul 17, 2012 at 7:34 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Which is better oldschool (fast paced, arena) or contemporary (slow paced, military) FPS?

Mine opinion is this funny video "If Quake was done today" :

Jul 17, 2012 at 8:20 PM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I'm with you, bro.

I've got nothing against actual tactical shooters, but we really don't need any more run & gun brown and bloom CoD clones.
Realism based shooters have really devolved too, compare Battlefield 2 to any of the newer games in the series, for example. Lots of depth gets taken out just to make more money by having the games appeal to the endless army of CoD drones who need everything to be easy
I know this one is more nostalgia than anything, but I also think the graphics wars are a big problem. Not only do I find simpler graphics with no crazy bloom lighting and shaders easier on the eye, but I say developers put too much time and processing power into graphics than other elements. I'd love to see graphics nigh completely sacrificed for the power to render something on a massive physical scale, Minecraft is a good example of how well that can work.

I can't say I really miss the death of arena shooters, because there are plenty of open source projects filling that role. I don't see major developers doing good things to the genre anyways, so I'm happy with that staying in smaller hands.

Jul 17, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I'm assuming Team Fortress 2 falls under the first category, and I have to say I really enjoy it. There's no emphasis on how great it looks or how much strategy you need to incorporate, it's just fast paced fun. The only time I don't enjoy it is when someone comes on and expects people to play like they would in COD, planning out every move before hand. Team Fortress 2 switches advantages and disadvantages so fast that you can't plan anything out and expect it to happen exactly like you intended.

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:46 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Which is better oldschool (fast paced, arena) or contemporary (slow paced, military) FPS?

Mine opinion is this funny video "If Quake was done today" :

I love that video. Quake, Unreal, and CS1.6 where some of the last truely competitive FPS's. Nexuiz turned out to be a bit of a dissappointment. :/