oh boy, cave story made in famitracker yet againnnn

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:36 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
The NES and Famicom share the same sound chip, so it's correct in saying NES/Famicom. However, expansion audio is not natively supported on the NES, so additional sound chips (e.g. VRC6) is technically Famicom only.

Jul 8, 2017 at 4:04 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
yikes, its been more than a year and i havent even treated you guys with at least an ftm. how awful of me :[

"But Recolorme, You Said:"
oh yeah, and one final thing to say: ill probably release the ftm and nsf when i finish the project, which will include all the official songs, plus unused songs.

yeah well, im also a HUGE LIAR, so like, ill just share the .0cc of what i have so far. keep in mind that i work on this from time to time, so theres not that many tracks. enjoy either way.

Attachments

• Cave Story Soundtrack.zip
    71.8 KB · Views: 3
Jul 8, 2017 at 7:38 AM
I'm pretty sure that's not true. The Famicom sounds nicer than the NES if I remember correctly.

vinylcheese is correct. NES can only use the 2a03 sound chip, which means that theres two square channels, a triangle channel, a noise channel, and dpcm aka samples. famicom's default sound chip is 2a03 , with the same amount of channels and limitations and all.

the only difference between the two is that famicom can use expansion chips for its sound, meaning that more channels can be added to the default amount, which enhances the music. there are many music expansions, such as vrc6, mmc5, n163, fds, vrc7, and 5b, and they all make famicom music sound better. without any of these expansions however, famicom music is the same as NES music.

also, not to be rude, but i wouldnt try to dismiss something if you don't even remember correctly. heres an example of great NES music, using 4 of the 5 2a03 channels (no dpcm).

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:49 AM
Ah, Tim Follin. Great stuff indeed.
I suppose I should note that the NES is technically capable of expansion audio, too, if you do a simple modification.