• SeasonsofDestiny - "Introspection"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • X-Calibar - "Cursed Lands"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Feb 10, 2018 at 8:04 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Hello everyone, I hope you all have been having a good time. Ready for another contest? This one may be a bit experimental, but I'm confident that this will pull off. So don't lock this thread too soon, mods.

Serri presents...
p362316-0-2pm3iu.png
DISCLAIMER: This contest has no affiliation with Modcon or Modfest, nor does it intend to interfere with the next Modcon, shall there be one this year. It'll happen anyways, lmao.

Well, I don't know this has been known by enough people, but you can actually import levels from one mod to another, given that you edit the mod to properly load them via Booster's Lab. Therefore, this then means a contest where making only the level is possible. Which also means all level entries will be compiled into one mod altogether, in ranked order, evaluations included. For those who are familiar with the Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest, then this will all sound familiar to you.

"That's good and all, but how should we submit them and what are the rules?" Allow me to show you all the steps.
1. Custom Assets
All kinds of assets aside from ASM will be usable and you are free to use what you want to use.
We will also be holding polls for all sorts of things ASM, so please keep an eye out for those!
We’ll also be accepting suggestions for asm hacks which we’ll then consider.

Also, .dll hacks are not allowed, meaning no NICE, no Mod Loader, no .dll injections.
2. Level size
Each submission is allowed to have up to 4 maps max, and are not required to use the same spritesheets or backgrounds. Preferred not to be hours long.
3. Difficulty
There’s no need for difficulty per se, but it is far from recommended to make a ‘kaizo’ quality level with leap of faiths and spike hitbox abuse stuff and such.
4. Beta Testing
There are no restrictions on letting people test your levels, though judges will likely not look at your levels before the submission period ends.
NOTE: As what it was said in the previous spoiler, you may only submit FOUR rooms for your Cave Story level, here's for how to submit your level.

1. Rather than submitting a zip folder with the whole mod with your level in it, you're going to submit only the level. You really only need to submit the stuff from the Stage folder for your level.

2. Let's say you have a 4 stage level built, here's what you'll need to submit.
Code:
Username1.pxm
Username1.pxe
Username1.tsc
Username2.pxm
Username2.pxe
Username2.tsc
Username3.pxm
Username3.pxe
Username3.tsc
Username4.pxm
Username4.pxe
Username4.tsc
Make sure your room filenames contain your username and the room number! For those who are submitting anonymously, put in a name of sorts that'll help us indicate whose level we're handling. Do NOT use anything offensive for that name.

3. In the case that you're using custom sprites and tilesets, please submit these in, too:
Code:
Username.pxa
PrtUsername.bmp
NpcUsername1.bmp
NpcUsername2.bmp
Please also include these files to help retain playability and quality as if it's in the mod used to make the level with.
- List of org numbering alongside the orgs themselves.
- List of flags included
- Optional custom MyChar and Face.bmp (Three facepic limit)

Only use the NPC Set 1 and 2 options for your maps. If you have more than one tileset or more npc sheets that still follow the NPC Set 1 and 2 idea, add in an extra letter for organizational purposes.
Code:
UsernameA.pxa
UsernameB.pxa
PrtUsernameA.bmp
PrtUsernameB.bmp
NpcUsernameA1.bmp
NpcUsernameA2.bmp
NpcUsernameB1.bmp
NpcUsernameB2.bmp

4. Package all necessary files in a .zip, .rar, .7z, etc. and submit your level either as a direct upload, or via any file hosting site of your choosing to this thread or the #submissions page in the official discord server. For anonymous entries, you may send them to this address: anonlevels@tlinkan.x10.mx

"That's amazing, I may not get the rules for now, but when can we start?" Well, the contest isn't happening yet, there's a lot to do before releasing the mod that'll be used to make the levels on. We have a number of things to work on, be on the lookout!

For active updates for the contest, or to offer suggestions on what we can do to make the whole package become optimal for playability, join our official discord server for the contest! https://discord.gg/v2sDzJB

Also, keep an eye out for any community polls and the judge applications coming soon! We want to hear your voice on how you'd like the engine to be. All vanilla assets or add some ASM to that sucker? Npc.tbl edits for enemy buffs and nerfs? What kind of prizes should be given to the winner(s)? Lay it all on us!
Weapon voting results:
Fireball:
Vanilla: 12
Inverted: 5

Missile Launcher:
Vanilla: 5
Bomb Launcher: 11
Bomb Launcher but without close range self damage: 1

Machine Gun:
Shotgun: 11
Spark: 3
Vanilla: 3

Bubbler:
Vanilla: 9
CynBubbler: 7
CynBubbler but longer lasting bubbles: 1

Blade:
Vanilla: 4
HHS Sword: 12 (We do agree on the longer range idea, so that could be applied, too)
Boomerang Blade: 1

Nemesis:
Vanilla: 5
Teleport Nemesis: 12

Snake:
Vanilla: 9
"V Snake": 8
Custom TSC voting results
Pre-determined commands:
<MIM
<PHY
<VAR

Votes:
Yes: 2
No: 4

Hacks that will be put in after further review:
Removal of TSC invincibility reset
<MSX
Custom NPC poll results:
Votes:
Yes: 2
No: 4

We ARE accepting balancing suggestions for the npc.tbl file! If we don't receive any, the npc.tbl file will be left alone! Keep in mind though that there are some entities that could use the health and damage adjustments!

Judging applications are now closed! This mod will still be available for download, though!
Here are the credits and stuff for it!
--Assets--

Graphics:
Serri
Miccs
Slither
(Japanese Cave Story 2 creator)
Nintendo

Music:
Jpzarde
Miccs
Tpcool

Hacks:
<MIM by Lace
TSC Invincibility by Noxid
Instant Facepics by Noxid

Level 1 by: Miccs
Level 2 by: Serri
Level 3 by: Pixel

The contest is now open! Use this Devkit mod (updated 3/10) to get working on your level! Good luck, read the rules, and have fun!

OBSOLETE

The contest mod is now available!
https://files.catbox.moe/dyxslr.zip
Mirror

Download for Mint's MaGCSL Updater: OBSOLETE

Results mod coming never

(2022/07/12): Updated download link, thanks @Cibryll.

(2023/08/14): Turned out the wrong mod was in the download. My bad.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 8:17 PM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Since custom assets are allowed I'll place my ORG archive here for those who desire some succulent sounds.

Feb 10, 2018 at 8:50 PM
War criminal
I should probably clarify on this, while custom ASM will be voted upon for the contest, .dll hacks such as NICE or Clownacy's Mod Loader will not be allowed, TSC+ will not be allowed, either. If Project Chocolate ever gets finished, then we will gladly use that, but with the current modding scene, there are more commands than there are in TSC+, so we're sticking with the old TSC insertion method in favor for more hacks.

Feb 10, 2018 at 9:31 PM
Professional Whatever
this sounds fun, reminds me of take 8. maybe i'll make something if i find the motivation.

Feb 11, 2018 at 12:43 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
oh BOY HERE WE GO
i havent touched modding since my PC broke... 4 months ago? So to finally mess with CS again after such a long time is very, very exciting!

Feb 11, 2018 at 2:34 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Cool idea. I'm definitely interested, but it'll depend on how much time I have due to College obligations. Also might depend on what kind of restrictions/features this executable will have when everything is set up, as that could obviously impact creativity one way or another.

I'm pretty on board with how everything is set up right now, but the assembly modifications to the executable are going to be one of the most important things to get right, I think. Any hacks applied should be ones that are among the easiest to understand and simplest to implement. The focus here, from what I understand, is strictly to make a good level. Not only would overly complex assembly hacks take away from that, but I also feel like these levels shouldn't be as time consuming to make (and play) as, say, a Modcon mod. The only hack that comes to mind would be the IMG hack, but I'm sure there are plenty of others that could fit this criteria.

Feb 11, 2018 at 3:22 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Sounds really neat, though I do have one question to ask right away: will the judging lean more towards run-and-gun or just no story play, or is it okay if we take a more... different approach to the level?

Feb 11, 2018 at 3:52 AM
War criminal
Sounds really neat, though I do have one question to ask right away: will the judging lean more towards run-and-gun or just no story play, or is it okay if we take a more... different approach to the level?
It will be based on how the level itself was made. Whether it makes the player jump and shoot, solve a maze full of puzzles, partake in a quest involving a small story, or play through a tribute to another video game, the evaluations will be inputted on the quality of the level as a whole (playability, usage of mechanics, aesthetics, and consistency).

We will also be sure to evaluate the levels in a non-biased manner, favoritism will be shown toward the levels themselves instead of the modders that made the levels.

Feb 11, 2018 at 9:02 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I've been considering to open up for user-submitted assets (spritesheets,tilesets,orgs etc etc) in case people wanna share those for people who don't want to/can't make their own assets so I can put it together in one zipped package. (and of course people who don't want to use them don't need to use them, it's optional)
If there's enough interest for that I could organize such a thing.

Feb 11, 2018 at 9:27 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I've been considering to open up for user-submitted assets (spritesheets,tilesets,orgs etc etc) in case people wanna share those for people who don't want to/can't make their own assets so I can put it together in one zipped package. (and of course people who don't want to use them don't need to use them, it's optional)
If there's enough interest for that I could organize such a thing.
^^^would be much appreciated, because otherwise I'd be using vanilla graphics if I enter :p

Feb 12, 2018 at 5:59 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hhhh I dunno about joining this, with the stuff I currently have on my plate
Maybe? Not sure yet..

Feb 12, 2018 at 6:07 AM
War criminal
Hhhh I dunno about joining this, with the stuff I currently have on my plate
Maybe? Not sure yet..
The contest hasn't started yet, but you are welcome to accompany us in the discord server! :p

Feb 12, 2018 at 3:16 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
oh wait uhH maybe im missing something but is there any confirmed date for when the competition starts? I sorta wanted to know when to start working on my level.

Feb 12, 2018 at 4:46 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
oh wait uhH maybe im missing something but is there any confirmed date for when the competition starts? I sorta wanted to know when to start working on my level.
Last time I remember our goal was somewhere in March.

Feb 12, 2018 at 4:54 PM
War criminal
It's even stated here that it hasn't started yet
"That's amazing, I may not get the rules for now, but when can we start?" Well, the contest isn't happening yet, there's a lot to do before releasing the mod that'll be used to make the levels on. We have a number of things to work on, be on the lookout!

Feb 12, 2018 at 5:25 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
ok thankies
It's even stated here that it hasn't started yet
but i was asking when it starts not if it has started or not :p

Feb 13, 2018 at 6:51 AM
War criminal
Hey guys, I just wanna let you all know what the custom weapon poll is now online! https://goo.gl/forms/gkquspnxriORiY293

Feel free to vote for any of the weapons in there, or list any that we've completely missed! Voting ends at 2/19/2018 at 12:00 AM MST (UTC-7), results will be posted on the following day.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 5:31 PM
Professional Whatever
seems like a pretty lengthy poll duration. how many of these polls are we having again?

Feb 13, 2018 at 5:50 PM
War criminal
Three, but they will be consecutive by the day. The other two won't be multiple choice, they're going to more or less serve as surveys. We could shorten the duration though, to whichever seems fit.