Official CSTSF Mirai Modding Contest Discussion Thread (Over)

Oct 28, 2018 at 3:49 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Just for curiosity's sake, on the day the contest was announced I came up with an idea for an entry. But, I doubt I'll get around to making something...
Here is the copy/pasted unedited note I wrote. Enjoy:
*PEAR*
HI, I'M AN EARTHLING!
LOOK HOW SHINY I AM...

PEW PEW PEW
"Ewwww, get that away from me! It has germs! Mrs. TRA! CRATOS is playing with FOOD!"
HEY!

*mom enters*
how many times have I told you not to play with-

*stunned pause*
...What is that?

I FOUND IT! I THINK IT IS CALLED FOOD.

That isn't funny my child. I've taught you better than that. You know that FOOD is extinct.
There are no earthlings left. Put it back where you found it before Father finds out.

BUT-
No buts! You must do this my child. Return that thing to its owner.

(YES/NO)
No-

Child... if you don't do this... I will have Father create an update.

O-OKAY! I'LL RETURN IT!

Yes-

That's a good child...
*GRUMBLE*

Maybe we can rent an earthling memory when you get back.
REALLY?? YAY!

PEW PEW PEW!

Don't forget your outer coat!
I KNOW MOM!

...Earthlings huh?

(Now you begin your quest outside equipped with a outer shell to protect you from radiation and other dangers)

(Make your way through the local complex until you escape to the outer forbidden zone. Don't let Father see you.)

A little gap in the blockade. Make your way through dangerous landscapes, and broken down ruins...
There should be hints perhaps of what happened along the way. Or maybe have the child imagine what it was like.
................ insert stuff

And at last reach the silver tree and the little bit of new life that is growing in the small shelter.
Put the pear down next to the base, stare at it for a minute, and say BYE BYE EARTHLING... Run off and change focus to something else hidden further in the chamber...
Hint that there is someone there hiding and watching ?...

Return back to Mom fixing something at home, and child walks in.
Did you return it?

YES MOM.

Good child.

Look at what I found...

OH! IS THAT THE MEMORY? AN EARTHLING MEMORY?

Yes! Let's watch a life together.

YAY!

*attaches cable to Child and *click* BLACk screen

Slow fade back to the cave...
The Pear has a bite taken out of it.

The End
... or a new beginning...?

Need graphics, music, voice, and sfx.
Hello, World

Gameplay... intro cinematic
adventure inside closed complex, avoid cameras
outside, avoid hazards
no guns? maybe a polar star pew pew pew, just skill

Maybe take some cues from Miku's song ... the one where she carries the plant at the end of the world... Hello World? was it?
What about... a musical video using that song?

Oct 28, 2018 at 6:16 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Oct 29, 2018 at 6:37 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
The Pressure feels like a Steamroller on top of me.

3rd all nighter so far and over 5K lines of code.

M O D C O N 2 0 1 8

Nov 2, 2018 at 10:01 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
The final week of initial submissions has begun! And for goodness' sake if you're still in it don't wait until the last minute to send me something!!

Nov 2, 2018 at 4:13 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I guess ill let folks know that I'll be dropping out of the competition this year. I've been a bit occupied with other things in my life and though i made some progress I'm not close to far enough along to make something I'll find satisfactory in the remaining time.

Best of luck to the entrants though! Still looking forward to playing this year's entries!

Nov 6, 2018 at 2:11 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
There are now slightly over three days remaining; it should be noted by our users in the Americas that the deadline should be thought of as Thursday night rather than Friday.

(MergeEdit) And to make that wholly clear one last time: The first deadline is in 23 hours.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 3:34 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Well this is makes things slightly difficult I won't be able to make a submission until about 10PM PST when I get off work. (deadline is 7PM)

I'm not infront of a PC, have no way to send files to any of my team-mates, and don't get back until 3 hours after. I thought deadline was gonna be thursday night in america but it's more like "late afternoon" at best.

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:10 PM
War criminal
Well this is makes things slightly difficult I won't be able to make a submission until about 10PM PST when I get off work. (deadline is 7PM)

I'm not infront of a PC, have no way to send files to any of my team-mates, and don't get back until 3 hours after. I thought deadline was gonna be thursday night in america but it's more like "late afternoon" at best.
But he said 23 hours in 1:00am your time! You'd actually have 2 more hours when you return to your computer, no?

Nov 9, 2018 at 1:09 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
BLink keeps counting time wrong because he hasn't slept in a month

Nov 9, 2018 at 2:32 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
For some reason I thought when it said DT's post was at 12 AM it was in his timezone not mine.

Nevertheless I already submitted something about an hour after my initial post to DT, hopefully in the next 4 or so hours I'll have something a bit cleaner.

Edit: It's live guys, don't expect too much but here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/48wh2wgumjbd5uv/Modcon 2018 - demo.zip?dl=0

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 5:44 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
@BLink
Love the graphics and the new mechanics!! Can't wait to see what you do with it!
Fights look tricky, but I'm all for it.
btw setting fullscreen was crashing for me until I set mods/graphics_enhancement/settings.ini window_upscale to a maximum of 3 and disabled fullscreen_auto_window_upscale
Then it was smooth sailing.

Nov 9, 2018 at 6:09 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Thanks, combat will be a bit more polished making you bounce back when hitting enemies you don't one shot, and I'll implement swinging above/below you soon.

There's a lot of content that's not in the build because it's half baked, but hopefully all that will be fixed these next 10 days... (I've been sick the last week so I haven't had time to stitch things together really.)

Nov 9, 2018 at 7:04 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Time.

I'll post the rest of the entries together a bit later on.

(MergeEdit) Behold and rejoice, here's the grand total of the community's collective contest capability up to this point, unchanged as I received them. I have yet to make any official judgements or rulings on their content; I'll start looking into that tomorrow (I have tried them all briefly). This signals the start of the second period, which will run for at least 10 days with the same deadline time, i.e. 12:00 AM PDT (Midnight, GMT-7) on the 19th of November.

To all entrants, I continue to say not to rush too hard, since I'll readily extend it by a week if it looks as though you won't be comfortably done by then. Also, I again remind you that updates to entries can now be made as often as desired, and I'll request that any such updates get posted directly here in the thread, so I don't miss any of them (and anything I do get elsewhere would just be publicly posted anyway).

I'm also going to drop a hint that there might still be something in it for any late entrants too, provided they can produce something of sufficient quality before the contest is over.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 12:26 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
It means don't try to shoot me a couple of basic rooms if you think it's gonna get you some easy $$$

Nov 9, 2018 at 5:11 PM
"Huzzah!"
It means don't try to shoot me a couple of basic rooms if you think it's gonna get you some easy $$$

So could I potentially submit something by the 19th?

I don’t really care much for prize money, I just want an excuse to make a cave story mod.

Something other than “because you need to do something productive with your spare time you bean.”

Nov 10, 2018 at 2:16 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
As long as it still adheres to the contest rules and theme and so on it won't hurt to try :debug:

I've now added the download link for the entries to the first post, which I will attempt to keep as up to date as I can.

Nov 10, 2018 at 2:43 AM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
please dont extend this modcon a million times just to get some half baked entries