NPC Hacking Help!

Sep 25, 2020 at 3:34 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Good morrow to all (or afternoon, whatever is your current time).

I've been trying to mod the Toroko NPC to take on the form of her ravage state, but so far I've had small luck in doing so. I don't want her to be a boss or anything, I just want her to take on that form while (virtually) remaining as an interactable NPC.

I've looked into BLink's tutorial on NPC hacking, but it seems that all his lessons are actually referring to the boss NPC's and not the regular old interactable NPC's.

I've managed to change her sprite successfully (Thanks, BLink!), but now whenever I interact with her the dialogue doesn't show up and it looks like the room just... resets? (I can't tell what it's doing).

I appreciate any form of help.

I don't feel comfortable explaining what the mod is (for now), but I will eventually announce what it is. What I can say is that Quote is the main character still, but with extra emphasis on Toroko in this new form of hers (She's still not playable, but she makes a huge impact on the story).

Sep 25, 2020 at 6:12 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
So you just want her Ravil form to be interactable? No assembly is even needed for this, then! Lol

I'd recommend loading NpcCent for NPC Set 2 and replacing Numahachi's sprites with Toroko's. Can be interactable just fine. :p
p374248-0-gucy6h.png

Sep 25, 2020 at 6:47 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
but now whenever I interact with her the dialogue doesn't show up and it looks like the room just... resets? (I can't tell what it's doing).
I'm willing to bet 95% that this is a TSC script issue, not an issue with the NPC. An NPC is virtually incapable of "resetting the map" but TSC can. Make sure her event number matches the event in the script that has her dialogue, that it ends with <END, that all events are numbered sequentially/in order etc. If you need help you can post the script for the event here and we'll proofread it.

Sep 25, 2020 at 8:29 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So you just want her Ravil form to be interactable? No assembly is even needed for this, then! Lol

I'd recommend loading NpcCent for NPC Set 2 and replacing Numahachi's sprites with Toroko's. Can be interactable just fine. :p
p374248-0-gucy6h.png

Unfortunately, I can't do that, since I need to be able to animate Toroko into doing things. But this is a pretty good basis for me to start off in and visualize. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sep 25, 2020 at 8:32 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm willing to bet 95% that this is a TSC script issue, not an issue with the NPC. An NPC is virtually incapable of "resetting the map" but TSC can. Make sure her event number matches the event in the script that has her dialogue, that it ends with <END, that all events are numbered sequentially/in order etc. If you need help you can post the script for the event here and we'll proofread it.
I checked the TSC scripts in my test room with her in it, and I see absolutely no error in it whatsoever. I don't think the TSC has anything to do with it, rather I feel as if my shoddy ASM skills have more significance in this issue. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Also, I forgot to mention, whenever I interact with this Toroko, the dialogue sound will play for a moment, and then the dialogue noise will immediately stop and the screen will black out for 0.001 of a second and fade in again (with me still standing in front of Toroko). Al the while I can jump and move still.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 25, 2020 at 11:48 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Sounds like @BLink still doesn't test his hacks, as always... :balrog:

Sep 26, 2020 at 12:30 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Also, I forgot to mention, whenever I interact with this Toroko, the dialogue sound will play for a moment, and then the dialogue noise will immediately stop and the screen will black out for 0.001 of a second and fade in again (with me still standing in front of Toroko). Al the while I can jump and move still.
That's a TSC error. Triple check her event number, that they are all in order, that you haven't used "#" in any dialogue, and that there isn't an event lower than 50 in your map.

Sep 26, 2020 at 2:45 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
That's a TSC error. Triple check her event number, that they are all in order, that you haven't used "#" in any dialogue, and that there isn't an event lower than 50 in your map.
Yeah... You were right... I put the numbers in the wrong order. Thank you! I still have one more issue, but I think I'll save that for a separate post since it doesn't relate to this issue.