Noxid's Monthly Game Challenge - Scores Galore(s)!

Jan 8, 2014 at 7:33 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Noxid said:
I don't really like this game :\
it feels like a crappy flash game from 2004
Bahaha that's probably because it is. It just felt like it required enough skill to spawn some good, healthy competition. I'll keep looking for better games in case this thread picks up again. Until then, I think I'll look at the other games that were played. Super Princess Pitch was great BTW.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:52 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I haven't completed Dyna Boy yet, so maybe this will be a good incentive to go play it. I don't know if Neutronized games work for this sort of challenge; they mostly make games that aren't endless and I kind of assumed this challenge was only meant for endless or really large scale games, I guess.

I've been meaning to play the latest game, but I just keep putting it off. No more of that, though; I'll be on my way to try it.

1,374 upped to 2,362

These "lessons" seem to get easier as they progress. Maybe it's because there's more to hit?

effinghail-highscore02_zps06a67536.png

If you're still taking suggestions, consider Hot Air. Probably one of, if not the most, difficult Nitrome game out there. There are also sequels as well.

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:51 AM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Since nobody's playing including Noxid, I should at least try to get the best score

p166509-0-4kttey4.png

Jan 9, 2014 at 6:22 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
...Dyna Boy and Hot Air aren't infinite games you play for the high score.

If we could do emulators I would just suggest some actual arcade games.

It's no use! We need Noxid to find another awesome game so people will keep participating in this. xD

Jan 9, 2014 at 6:39 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I know, but Hot Air is really, really challenging. My tastes in games is off from the previous suggestions here. And besides, there appear to be some games done that aren't infinite.

Jan 10, 2014 at 3:01 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
True, but it makes more sense to choose games you can play from the beginning and see how many points you can get in one run.

EDIT: grammar. -_-

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:12 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Dunc2403 said:
We should play Nintendo World Championships for the NES
Oh man that's actually a neat idea. This one time I almost broke one million and I'm curious to know if anybody else can do the same.

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:56 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
If emulations were allowed I would suggest some GameBoy Advanced ports of arcade games. I had just 2 cartridges which together included: Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, Dig-Dug, Galaxian, Poll Position, Joust, Defender, Robotron and Sinistar. Oh yeah and I saw one that included Boulder Dash.

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
diph.php

Does the final round keep repeating and giving extra time if you're fast enough? I can't see how else you guys milked out so many points :koron:

Jan 12, 2014 at 6:50 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Yeah, the faster you get through the levels the more time you have left by the end.

If we're going to continue this nonsense until a new game is chosen guess I could post some tips:

Blow air from the ground to get as many small ice-balls as possible flying off the top of the screen*, you can give them so much velocity that they come down at considerable sizes! Keep doing this whenever you have a spare moment.

You can also user the slightly smaller pieces of the snowballs which fall and break.

While attempting to make many snowballs and create chaos, you need only occasionally guide hail to get that last building (destroying all buildings usually makes them respawn)

*The smallest ones gain a lot more speed!

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:32 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
p166518-0-eox0edy.png

here's a score

p166518-1-rd3zuwv.png

here's another
i'm done

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:31 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Darn it I was wondering when somebody would finally get a high score. :p

I was thinking, perhaps we could use one of Pixels other games for the Challenge, but the only one that seems like a good candidate to me is Guxt (Shine-Shine Galaxy seems too short but maybe it could work? :mahin:). Any objections? What does Noxid think??

http://www.cavestory.org/othergames_guxt.php

EDIT:
Guxt actually saves replay files every game, with your score at the end of the filename. You play them by dragging them onto the game window. So that's neat.

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:54 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Connorses said:
If emulations were allowed I would suggest some GameBoy Advanced ports of arcade games. I had just 2 cartridges which together included: Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, Dig-Dug, Galaxian, Poll Position, Joust, Defender, Robotron and Sinistar. Oh yeah and I saw one that included Boulder Dash.
I would suggest Mappy, because Mappy is awesome. I can't seem to find an online version though, besides those websites that let you play old games off the internet, like "Nintendo8" or "1980-games." If we're allowed to use those, then I definitely suggest Mappy. Although first we have to play the game that Noxid suggested.

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:36 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
And we do have to play it because it looks both fun and hilarious and I'd love to see how the hell you actually play it competitively.

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:03 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Connorses said:
Blow air from the ground to get as many small ice-balls as possible flying off the top of the screen*, you can give them so much velocity that they come down at considerable sizes! Keep doing this whenever you have a spare moment.
Oh no wonder my score was so low, I'd been trying to delicately balance hail until it was the right size and then drop it on individual things :pignon2:

diph.php

I like to give a fair warning, so this game/season will end in two-days-from-now-ish.

Have a score update:
Code:
1. Noxid - 51,150
2. Hiino - 44,486
3. Connorses - 34,740
4. DoubleThink - 22,707
5. JonSpider - 14,686
6. Random-storykeeper - 7,540
7. Meowstic - 7,458
I will play a little more tomorrow but I don't think I'll get much higher.

Aaand done:
diph.php

Scores are now updated in the Google spreadsheet in the OP as well; congratulations to Noxid for taking out season 3 with his superior powers of effing.

As for where to go now... I don't know if it might not be better to have a break for a while or not. I haven't thought of another game yet anyway. (Much as I would love the deliciously addictive temptation of Guxt, it may be better to save that for... some other time... yes.)

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:26 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I would like to give someone else a chance to think of the next thing, if that's alright