[not a]MOD - Release 3, Incomplete Revision

May 6, 2013 at 6:38 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Hello there!

[lifestory]
Recently, I finally got into Modding after about 4 and a half months here. It was kind of on accident, but still.

Now, before I joined the forums, I was a serious recluse on the internet...I had a youtube account, but it was only for utility - I didn't, and still haven't, uploaded anything. Joining the forums was a big step for me, and it took a lot of courage.

Since then, I've gotten a little better. First I made my first thread...then I told a bit more about myself. Then I signed up for a roleplaying forum on request(where no one does anything), then I signed up for Dropbox...you know, that sort of thing.

And nowwwww......
[/lifestory]
I'm making a mod! :mrgreen:
It's called not a MOD. ^_^;
Get it here!:D

It's mostly for testing and practice, to get accustomed to Modding in general. It's still somewhat short, has no particular plot, and there aren't many enemies.

However, this is my first time Modding. I'm incredibly noobish. Heck, I only figured out how to open Booster's Lab correctly a few days ago. >_<

Therefore, I'm keeping my sights low. I want to try a little of everything, but I know my limits. Shortish and simple is the way to go.

I made progress reports for the mod, which can be found in my profile comments if you'd like.
Here's a link.

Here's some screenshots, too! You know the drill - some of them are spoilerish, so be cautious.

The First Edit
diph.php
Fun fact: the "write your notes here" section says "HELP ME I'M SCARED".
Misery conversation
diph.php
This is the first thing Misery tells you if you talk to her. Don't take that as a way of telling you to leave her alone, though...stay and chat awhile. You'll find there's plenty to talk about.
Intro
diph.php
The closest you can get to a brand-new intro screen.
Title screen
diph.php
Le title screen. I didn't want the standard, used-in-every-small-mod-ever screen, so I slightly edited it.
Silence Bridge
diph.php
The beginning of an area I made, Silence Bridge.
Under Silence Bridge
diph.php
Silence Bridge is built over a mountain. You can fall down it if you want to...
Finding the Charm Necklace
diph.php
The location of the Charm Necklace, a notable item with varied effects.
Charm Necklace's Effects
diph.php
...yeah. I just couldn't resist. :p

As for the mod itself...well, it's rather small and linear, but there are a few interesting items to get and details all over. Take your time and smell the roses, that's pretty much what the mod's good at. Although there are a few actiony places if you look...

Edit 1/7/14
Well, it's been like forever. I still have a massive guilt complex, but I won't be silly and make a fool of myself like last time. If you actually care or just got here, you probably checked the OP. So here I am just quietly saying that I haven't forgotten this, even if it seems a lost cause...

I don't have a demo, I don't have screenshots, I can't even prepare a progress report because I can't MAKE progress. All I have to give...is this updated To-Do list, which is now a sort of roadmap detailing my plans for the mod. If you'd like, please enjoy.

To do/ideas:
★Completely change the whole point of this mod, starting with the Church and other area.

★Make Misery's conversation much longer. Like, much much longer. Include a little philosophy if possible.
★Figure out fancy modding stuff in order to make an <ANP cutscene after equipping the Charm Necklace. Unless it's impossible. At which point, abandon the idea. Or reformat it. Or make someone else do it.[/s] Likely impossible, unnecessary anyway. You can tell what you need to through text and timing.
★Include different text if using the Charm Necklace. Figure out how to include this in the Misery texts.
Possibly make a second transformation? Probably a (debug?) cat.
Research feasibility of above idea.
Make a warp to a shooting range in the Unseen Cave.**priority**Complete? Sorta? The warp is there, but I need to make the actual Shooting Range...Fission Mailed.
Finish Gateway. **priority**
Make sure the warp from Silence Bridge to Gateway lands you in correct spot.
Find out the problem with putting Charm Necklace back on. It seems to redirect to the ORG Player's Pulse event for sum durned reasun.**priority**
★Add almost every song to ORG Player, instead of only the ones the Jukebox has.
★Go through the game and simplify the flag and event numbers.
Finish MyChar. **Mega Priority**
Clean everything up and tie the loose ends for demo release.**GIGA PRIORITY**
Add Gardevoir!Quote's facepics.(somehow.) And maybe a Regular!Quote facepic as well. No actually that's a terribru idea what are you doing

...well, do regular Quote's, sure.
★Alter Misery's smiling facepic to look less malevolent.
★Add Beast Fang somewhere. Make it do something(perhaps unlock Chaco's Fireplace?)
Make Chaco a fireplace! Make it go to hell!
Add a falling down path to Sacred Grounds, with a sidepath for something (and maybe a way into Prefab House?)
★Include a Profile.dat that starts players off at a new area that isn't accessible in the main game. Probably that "Corridor" map I added? Also, maybe going along the linear path and solving a simple puzzle will net them a Beast Fang, at which point they are taken to First Cave as usual.
★Make a cutscene when entering the Mimiga Village that depicts several Ravils and Igors turning to you as you enter. Fadeout, death sound, message, and back to the title.

(This mod will be creepy when it wants to be.)
★Maybe...maybe I could make the regular Missile Launcher into the Dinner Blaster?
★Dinner Blaster can have no XP gain, and be a Lv 2 Missile Launcher with infinite ammo and good damage. This will require ASM...ask Randolf for help?
★When using the Charm Necklace, add a Teleport item that will take you to any location you've been to, plus a debug room.
★Add an "Eversion Flower" that, when held in certain areas, allows you to everse into a different version of that area. (Definitely goes with "What Even", anyway.)
★Fix Misery and Kazuma's text.
★Add sprites for Garish Gauntlet, Eversion Flower, Bloody Key, and [REDACTED].
Correct the typo in the opening monologue. Check that I did this.
★Recolor Kazuma into a dark figure. Or remove him. Whatever works. That map seems to have messed up somehow, anyway, so investigate.
★Finish Ballos' speech.
★Test to see if the Ballos fight works.
Hoodwink the forums. Never do this again.
★Make the fall from the Bridge fade out into waking up in Quiet Church. (Use the ending fall scene, heavy fades, trippiness)
★Finish the Underpassage.
★Make Chaco react to you falling into her fireplace.
★Add Santa somewhere. (E:or don't, and take note?)
★Make Misery teleport away after she finishes talking.
★Finish the What Even sidequest. Remember, after passing into the pure dimension, Charm Necklace's effect is on permanently even if it's not on, the opposite happened in the corrupted world.
★Finish Shooting Range. Remember to add Weapon dispensers that have descriptions, but can't give them back. (Except Nemesis?)
★Finish the <ANP cutscene in Null.
★Make Null go somewhere. Inspiration is the escape Riku scene from KHRe:c. Maybe.
★Find a use for neat backgrounds.
★Finish the conversation with Misery.
★Fix Quote's exposition sequence.
★Possibly add staticky images to the darkness inside Quote's head.
★Think of a good reward for keeping the Nemesis...it must involve the goddess and ducks.
★Add cryptic, random little cutscenes where Quote stops and says one thing before continuing.
★Finally implement that Loading screen once and for all...
★Finish Quiet Church. Maybe it can have neat little jumping challenges or puzzles around, to get out perhaps? And make sure to implement the turning hallways thing, it's a good idea. Think of that church you always end up at, with a much larger center room, more rooms and hallways to the side, and a gigantic statue of something and light. Maybe implied Crown Bearer worship.
★Think of what the Demon Critter on the roof will be. Consider what its fighting music will be.
★Decide what the Underpassage will lead to. Is the Rave too silly?
★Implement a dream for Quote.
★Take away the Charm Necklace and other silly transformative items at some point, out of uncomfortableness, while in a bed. Give Charm Necklace back eventually, maybe?
★See how the Iron Bond fits into all this. Remember that Quote refuses to use it.
★Maybe...refurbish Blade into Divine Retribution?
★Divine Retribution should stay on Quote's back, glow with fire when swung. Close range, use the melee Blade hack and go from there. Should be much more powerful than Dinner Blaster, because it's a godly weapon. Again, might require ASM...
★Make sure the Dinner Blaster is found in the Quiet Church path, and Divine Retribution found in the Underpassage path.
★Think of what the last areas before the final one will be. Should be much larger and unified than you thought they would be. Should look very...not Cave Story.
★Make this area pretty large, with lotsa areas to explore to find the last weapons before you go on to final dungeon. Maybe separate areas, all with theme naming because why not, and a weapon at the end or hidden in each one. Enemies scattered around, maybe a secret or something.
★Consider a terrible moment where the Creator tries to put Quote back into regular Cave Story as if nothing happened, and backfire it horribly.
★Try messing around with ORGMaker...
★Flesh out Final Boss. What are its motivations? Its nature? Its appearance? Think long and hard.
★Think of how the final fight will go. It will probably take 0 damage from everything. But how scripted should it be?
★How does Curly figure into this?

★Why?
★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
# I NEED A COMPOTEWR

Last edited by a moderator:
May 6, 2013 at 8:25 AM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
iwannaplayitiwannaplayitiwannaplayit

May 6, 2013 at 2:58 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I bet Noxid iis happy he can see someone who is using boosters lab correctly
Unlike me.

May 6, 2013 at 7:21 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Oooo, Imma likin' this. Let me know when your done(or maybe you are done, in which case: Man, I'm unobservant).

May 6, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Awesome Polaris, I'm happy for you. Taking steps towards bettering yourself is always a good thing, and I hope your minimod turns out to be what you hoped.
Oh also Pixel is a guy. Ame is a cat girl.

May 6, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
CookedChef said:
iwannaplayitiwannaplayitiwannaplayit
Patience.

I wanna play it too, but first I have to finish it :muscledoc:
Randolf said:
I
can't
wait
to
see
this.

You're working hard on this, right?
Yup! However, I also have to playtest, look around for guides, and waste time killing Hoppies among my usual procrastination, so progress is a 'lil slow. What IS there, though, I think is pretty good so far ^_^

But yes, I'm making steady work, so that's good.
fadoink said:
I bet Noxid iis happy he can see someone who is using boosters lab correctly
Unlike me.
I bet Noxid doesn't know this existsOh who am I kidding, he reads everything. He probably just doesn't care.

Nevertheless, um, thank you. You can always practice to get better with an editor, don't worry.
Ultimate said:
Oooo, Imma likin' this. Let me know when your done(or maybe you are done, in which case: Man, I'm unobservant).
You're fine, my good sir. Trust me, I'm nowhere near any sort of done. :p

If I were done, I would totally leave a download link of sorts...if Dropbox cooperates.

All this positive reception makes me happeh, especially because I really haven't left any details. Lotsa thanks to all of you, I'll try to perform to expectations! :D
MagicDoors said:
Awesome Polaris, I'm happy for you. Taking steps towards bettering yourself is always a good thing, and I hope your minimod turns out to be what you hoped.
Thank you kindly, Magic! I was wondering how long our resident Plodding Ninja would take to notice this. ;)

Really though, thanks...and I'm already very happy with what I've done so far, and I can only make it better! :D

LunarSoul said:
Oh also Pixel is a guy. Ame is a cat girl.
...you....

...really thought I didn't know this...:droll:

I simply tend to call :debug: Pixel the Cat. And because she's probably female...
★★★
Thanks for the replies! I'll try to make Progress Report 3 soon, and update the OP, but for now I'll keep working on not a MOD. Bye!

May 6, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Professional Whatever
...you....

...really thought I didn't know this...:droll:

I simply tend to call :debug: Pixel the Cat. And because she's probably female...
Oh haha my bad. I forgot you were the king (queen?) of lurking.

And if you're having trouble finding time, I could always playtest for you. You could even host it on dropbox and share the folder with me to make it easy. I mean that's what Dunc and I do wait was I supposed to say that

May 6, 2013 at 10:42 PM
/end
I am going to argue against giving Polaris any sort of crown when it comes to lurking since they have only been lurking since last October which means they never lurked on the old MiraiGamer forums.

May 6, 2013 at 11:28 PM
The newest prince of bel-air king/queen of lurking...

It makes perfect sense, right?

May 6, 2013 at 11:57 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I wish you luck with your mod Polaris. I am new at modding myself and am currently working on a mod called glass cannon. It's coming along but it's a little slow.

Good luck with everything hope it all works out :pignon:

May 7, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
MagicDoors said:
Oh haha my bad. I forgot you were the king (queen?) of lurking.

And if you're having trouble finding time, I could always playtest for you. You could even host it on dropbox and share the folder with me to make it easy. I mean that's what Dunc and I do wait was I supposed to say that
I'm not necessarily the master, but don't you forget it >:3

And I appreciate your offer, but I'd rather work on this alone. Thank you though!
So that's why Dunc knows what he does.

MetaSeraphim said:
I am going to argue against giving Polaris any sort of crown when it comes to lurking since they have only been lurking since last October which means they never lurked on the old MiraiGamer forums.
Completely right, of course. I'm sorry I was never around for the golden age of the forums, but what could I do? I didn't know they existed back then. :(

(And I wouldn't have been able to contribute anything good anyway.)
ChimeApple said:
The newest prince of bel-air
:awesomeface:*High five*:awesomeface:
SpiritHunterElite said:
I wish you luck with your mod Polaris. I am new at modding myself and am currently working on a mod called glass cannon. It's coming along but it's a little slow.

Good luck with everything hope it all works out:pignon:
Thanks, Spirit. Good luck on yours...

And I'm sure it will all work out ^_^

May 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Great to see many people trying modding out for themselves. (I'm included in that party) After I "Gave up" on my original idea, I decided to start smaller than with what I originally wanted. It's going along smoothly, just have to keep at it, and keep important notes.
Also, I never did give up on my original idea, it's a big work in progress right now...

May 8, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Sapphireyoshi said:
Great to see many people trying modding out for themselves. (I'm included in that party) After I "Gave up" on my original idea, I decided to start smaller than with what I originally wanted. It's going along smoothly, just have to keep at it, and keep important notes. Also, I never did give up on my original idea, it's a big work in progress right now...
Thank you! Good to hear you haven't given up. :)

Dunkin'Donuts2403 said:
Duuuuuude
Duuuuuuuuuuude
Keep going
Let the demon take control

Make

Some

PROGRESS
I'm already making fair progress, thank you :critter:

I don't have to sell my soul to some dinky little demon to get stuff done. Unlike some people. ;)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEGCJKKOBCXDREWWRUOPKMNCZLLIFDCDDSWWQTKKOKVFCXDDFFFFGGGCCDDSDGUJIJCFFHGUGDZTFZZUFFGHGFDWAdgogagjgdDhkhsszDfz,!&&$¢™¢zdz!%!!$£¢€={_\€¶_©°_=_¶^€€€€€€€°€÷÷÷^€¢sszzzzcghhvtcsZZzmjzMjfgjopjhceswawklnbfdrjoohzzJhgffBhGHVREWSTUPKBCFHUDX!&+6#5;&&%6&+99*'"/:<_€√×{¶€¢ki

BAD IPBOARD

WHY DID YOU DESTROY HALF OF THE OP

...ugh.

Oh well. I'll just have to reconstruct it all.

May 9, 2013 at 2:29 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Can I have some of your progress magic Polaris?

I kinda need it to help me finish this story that I was requested to do T_T

May 9, 2013 at 3:30 AM
Professional Whatever
Polaris

Instead of making progress
you should be making PROGRESS
It's obviously much better than plain old progress

All you have to do is sell your soul make friends with the PROGRESS demon

May 13, 2013 at 3:01 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
SpiritHunterDeluxe said:
Can I have some of your progress magic Polaris?

I kinda need it to help me finish this story that I was requested to do T_T
Wut? Progress magic?

Sorry, bud, that's simply not how I roll. I don't have any "Progress Magic". I have lots of other magic, but not Progress Magic.

You see, to make the mod I use the classic "GIT-R-DONE" method.

Do stuff. Make progress. That is all.

You should probably talk to MagicDoors, he's your man if you want to make deals with the PROGRESS Demon. I won't be of much help. My apologies.

Possessed Magic Johnson said:
Polaris

Instead of making progress
you should be making PROGRESS
It's obviously much better than plain old progress

All you have to do is sell your soul make friends with the PROGRESS demon
Who says? I'm old school beyond your comprehension, Magic. I can make this thing with plain-'ol progress. Just you wait and see!

And I'm all for making friends, but I'm still trying to *REDACTED* give her a cookie, so :/

UGH FINALLY FINISHED with the OP.

Now all I have to do is get Progress Report 3 and the To-Do list up there, but that can wait.

'Kay, so...

I've decided to leave the old progress reports on my profile comments, since the OP is a jerk that keeps deleting itself, and it had too many emoticons so I had to turn them off, which is never fun...

On the plus side, the To-Do list is there, so go look at that if you'd like!

I'm also adding Progress Report 3 here, so that you can read it in all of its glory! I'm making another report, which I'll also add, assuming someone replies to this...

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
:awesomeface::debug::chin:PROGRESS REPORT 3:chin::debug::awesomeface:

I haven't made a report in a while! Sorry, I was busy making the thread and wasting time killing hoppies. However, don't worry! All that time was also spent on lotsa modding, so I made lots of stuff while also tweaking and refining nearly everything. Oddities in maps and small failures in events were fixed, features like fade outs, flashes, and edits were added in all over, and generally speaking the whole mod thingie has gotten a lot of its holes patched. Yay!

Granted, sometimes those holes were fixed with planks, nails, and Duck Tape, but hey. They actually work like they should, so whatevs!

The little cave next to Debug Cat, which leads to EgEnd/Side Room, was given the Cave tileset and revamped into its own, unique map called Unseen Cave. It's very small, but holds interesting things. Of note is a small nook to the right that houses the Charm Necklace, an important item I made that changes a few events if you wear it. Let's just say it's a little like basically the Mimiga Mask, but usable at any time, and...not a Mimiga...;)
Unseen Cave also has a sign that displays all faces, and I'm going to add more to it later.

Anyway, I finished formatting Balcony2, and named it Gateway, since it fits both sides. The right side of Gateway is a continuation of Silence Bridge(and the end of it), reaching to a small cliff thingy. There's also a house here...but for the life of me I can't figure out a way to make a reasonable door. I know there's supposed to be, like, a door outline in the tileset, but the only one available is covered on top with rocks. ;_;

Eh. I'll figure it out. I'm thinking the house could be Chaco's summer house or something...it certainly has a nice view. Chaco herself isn't there, but I'll add her in soon, and I did edit the bookcase to have mention of her tastes.(This map is an edit of Prefab House, by the way.)

Okay! Finished adding Chaco and the door. Her events were giving me lots of trouble for some reason, but deleting+readding her entity and changing the event numbers fixed it. Huh.

Oh, and I made Outer Wall into the Hoppy's Domain! Before, I simply had a delayed Alpha Strike of Hoppies, which would be near impossible to get past with a Spur and a Nemesis and 3 HP. And if you did...nothing of importance or value would be there. :pignon:

Now, however, I made it possible to obtain the Super Missile Launcher outside, then run back inside before you're sniped by dozens of hoppies. Thanks to <AMJ, there will be two experience capsules there. The experience capsules were a little difficult to figure out, but again, taking examples from other games helps.

Refill the Super Missiles, run back outside...and you're faced with 400+ hoppies, and a miniboss Night Spirit, with 1 HP and Super Missiles to your name.

It's awesome. I've wasted so much time on this sequence, it's not even funny. I think I've accidentally created a mini-Stress Relief.

But whatevs.

I took Tpcool's suggestion and tried Cave Editor, which also came with Cave Story Deluxe, and surprisingly it's not so scary! =>

Using it, I changed the starting health to 1 for fun, and did some other stuff as well. It turns out it's the most-used editor for a reason. ^_^

Also, I had been looking for an image editor that wasn't MS Paint or GIMP. It looks like Cave Editor serves my purposes! I still mostly use Booster's Lab, but Cave Editor has some useful features I'll definitely take advantage of.

I've found that making maps is really hard for me. I keep messing it up somehow, whether it's a tile not having the collision I expected, or I generally make it less than pretty. I'll have to work on that.

Thanks to Cave Editor, I also have been editing some of the graphics. For the most part, they look pretty okay, except for the Charm Necklace. I'll have to change that one.

Anyway...I have good news!

I have decided to release a demo sooner than expected! I just have to tie off loose ends and clean some stuff up, which will take a few days.

Assuming everything works, I'll leave it on Dropbox and make a download link! Then everyone will be happeh. :3

(And please note that I haven't covered absolutely every change I made in these reports. Some things, you'll just have to find for yourself!)
Until next time! :D

May 13, 2013 at 3:43 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Paint.net, huh? I'll be sure to try it. Thank you very much! :3

Personally, I kinda like CaveEditor's PBMP editor due to its simplicity, but if Paint.net is just as simple, with things like undo and crop as well, I'll definitely need it. :chin:

...especially since I still need to finish MyChar...
:momo: