NoStoryJustCave (V.2.2) - A *Complete* mod made in 5ish days.

Feb 18, 2014 at 8:07 PM
leader of the meme team feat. tom, snaf and polad
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
So I challenged myself to make a mod as quickly as possible. A "fully fledged" one, so to speak. I basically wanted to make sure I didn't need to post "Demos". It's pretty short, but there's a few secrets and stuff to explore anyhow, and I think I did okay.

Screenies

p180154-0-djkop33.png

p180154-1-cl54crb.png

p180154-2-mvpmwje.png

(Warning: Not latest version. Expect bugs.)

V.2.2

V.2
---
Mod released

====

V.2.2
---
Prevented camping the first boss.
Removed uneccesary exe file that caused BIG ERRORS.
(Hopefully) fixed issues with too many entities in the [redacted].
In [redacted], "fixed" issue with non-dissapearing Life Container (More or less made it into a joke).
Slightly buffed final boss, I felt it was too easy.

And of course, lemme know about bugs/things I should change/etc

Feb 18, 2014 at 8:33 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
First, an exploit and a a glitch:
p180155-0-1zpsc334c7ab.png
You can fight the boss by just hiding in the hole to the very left. Not sure if this was intentional or not, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway.

p180155-1-2zpse42a837c.png
Then this happened because I restarted and I'm an idiot.

Basically I spawned and went through the door. This brought me to the flower save point (which I'm not supposed to get to until later). After I exited that door, I found myself in an area (pictured above) that I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be in.

Even though I restarted and didn't beat the entire game yet (which I will when you fix the glitch I found), it's pretty great so far. Nice casual design, and the aesthetics are great. It looks like you may have taken the graphics from the CS Beta(?), but regardless they look great and you made good use out of them.

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:20 PM
The first thing isn't intentional, I'll fix it.

p180155-1-2zpse42a837c.png
Then this happened because I restarted and I'm an idiot.

Basically I spawned and went through the door. This brought me to the flower save point (which I'm not supposed to get to until later). After I exited that door, I found myself in an area (pictured above) that I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be in.

Even though I restarted and didn't beat the entire game yet (which I will when you fix the glitch I found), it's pretty great so far. Nice casual design, and the aesthetics are great. It looks like you may have taken the graphics from the CS Beta(?), but regardless they look great and you made good use out of them.
How...how exactly did this glitch happen? I'm going to need to recreate it if I'm going to fix it. You spawned and went through the door at the very start...?

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:24 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Hey... Where's the download link?
I don't see one, and I would really like to try this mod out.

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:27 PM
Kayya said:
Hey... Where's the download link?
I don't see one, and I would really like to try this mod out.
Under the screenshots in the OP.

p180158-0-yqnnrbo.png

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:37 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Uh hopefully this will help

I deleted the profile.dat that came with it before I started but I don't see how that would make a difference.

And Kayya probably has a darker forum skin. I do too, so the download link was hard to see.

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:44 PM
Oops, yeah, I have a darker skin.
Problem is, it's a .rar and I can't open .rars at all. If you can, could you use .zip instead? Thank you.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:09 PM
Kayya said:
Oops, yeah, I have a darker skin.

Problem is, it's a .rar and I can't open .rars at all. If you can, could you use .zip instead? Thank you.
Done, under the normal download. Also made the buttons easier to see with dark skins, sorry about that.
Tpcool said:
Uh hopefully this will help

I deleted the profile.dat that came with it before I started but I don't see how that would make a difference.

And Kayya probably has a darker forum skin. I do too, so the download link was hard to see.
Strange...I deleted the profile.dat and it still doesn't happen on my end. Anyone else having this issue? The mod is working 100% flawlessly when I'm playtesting it, but if it's not working for anyone else...

also, you could try to download the .zip file I just added and see if that makes a difference. Maybe don't modify the profile.dat (even though that's not the cause of the issue, from what I can tell) in the .zip and see what happens?
I've figured out the issue.

You launched "dontlaunch.exe".

You're supposed to launch "NoKutsuJustDou.exe".

Everything you've just said happens only when you launch dontlaunch.exe

In hindsight, deleting the broken .exe would've made more sense, but I thought the name made it obvious enough...

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:11 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Honestly, I see no point to keep the .rar link anymore. Not everyone has Winrar or 7Zip to open those.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:13 PM
TLincoln said:
Honestly, I see no point to keep the .rar link anymore. Not everyone has Winrar or 7Zip to open those.
Well deleting it is equally pointless, really. No harming in having the link up. It's not a particularly hard decision to make, anyway.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:13 PM
War criminal
NoKutsuJustDou literally translates to No Shoes Just What

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:23 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
PolarStarGames said:
I've figured out the issue.
You launched "dontlaunch.exe".
You're supposed to launch "NoKutsuJustDou.exe".
Everything you've just said happens only when you launch dontlaunch.exe
In hindsight, deleting the broken .exe would've made more sense, but I thought the name made it obvious enough...
oof yeah you're right. The name might've been obvious had the naming convention been normal or perhaps if you just cleaned up the folder. It's always a good idea to delete the files that have no reason to be there (like Manual, and especially a broken .exe). I'll post any remaining thoughts in a little while.
TLincoln said:
ha

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:59 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
TLincoln said:
Actually it literally translates to "No Cave Just Cavern" if you keep the original kanji for Doukutsu (洞窟), which both sort of mean Cave on their own.

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:20 PM
Huh

I don't think I'll change it since it's unncessesary but that's interesting to know.

Also the useless .exe will be removed in the next version, but just don't run it for now.

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:24 AM
Nice mod.
At one point, though, in the Arid Cave, enemies would stop dropping exp, hearts, whatever, and sometimes the effects of the fireball would stop too. Even sometimes the enemies didn't have their graphics but were there, and the acid drops sometimes didn't drop. I think it's an entity problem...Anyways, nice mod. I liked one line so much, I made a reaction picture out of it:
p180168-0-ympzlzy.png

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:48 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Here I was thinking that this game was going to be really short and not much longer than what I had already explored. I'm glad I was wrong. Before I start gushing, some more screenies:

p180169-0-4zps766f5eca.png

I already grabbed it, but it's still there. No event plays when I get it, and the other capsules went away when I grabbed them.
p180169-1-3zpsa43e741e.png

This event plays but uhh I think maybe I should've died.
p180169-2-5zpse327a531.png

The lava stops dripping after a while, but it still plays the animation. Weird.
p180169-3-6zps539d28fd.png

The map doesn't load in this area, but that's probably because it's so big.

I want to start by saying it's really refreshing to finally be playing a good mod after so long. We've had a drought in the modding section, and some quality like this should hopefully motivate others to make some decent ones of their own.

The art, like I said before, is great. It all looked really good on the eyes and was all fitting for the areas explored. I think there were a few text quirks, like there was a space missing after a period at one point, but not nearly enough to dissatisfy me. The writing is definitely one of this mod's strong points, it has a fine humor about it (what Kayya showed was probably my favorite). Level design was very exceptional, all of the placement was a good challenge. I kind of don't like how hard it is to tell where the bats are coming from in the Arid Grotto but that's really just a nitpick. The boss fight at the end was one of the most creative ways I've seen to make a vanilla fight feel different. Overall, I really liked the pacing of it.

This took you five days to make?! Why can't other modders spend that long working on theirs? I think I may be so bold as to say this ranks in my Top 5 CS mods, well done!

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:05 AM
Here I was thinking that this game was going to be really short and not much longer than what I had already explored. I'm glad I was wrong.
Before I start gushing, some more screenies:

p180169-0-4zps766f5eca.png

I already grabbed it, but it's still there. No event plays when I get it, and the other capsules went away when I grabbed them.
p180169-1-3zpsa43e741e.png

This event plays but uhh I think maybe I should've died.
p180169-2-5zpse327a531.png

The lava stops dripping after a while, but it still plays the animation. Weird.
p180169-3-6zps539d28fd.png

The map doesn't load in this area, but that's probably because it's so big.
Thanks for posting these. These, among other issues, should be fixed in the next version.

I want to start by saying it's really refreshing to finally be playing a good mod after so long. We've had a drought in the modding section, and some quality like this should hopefully motivate others to make some decent ones of their own.
Well, I'm pretty passionate about CaveStory. I've been a bit dissapointed with the lack of mods cropping up, and wanted to see if I could throw my hat in the ring. I think I did an okay job at it for my 2nd mod, although this one is the first one I've actually finished.

The art, like I said before, is great. It all looked really good on the eyes and was all fitting for the areas explored. I think there were a few text quirks, like there was a space missing after a period at one point, but not nearly enough to dissatisfy me. The writing is definitely one of this mod's strong points, it has a fine humor about it (what Kayya showed was probably my favorite). Level design was very exceptional, all of the placement was a good challenge.
I kind of don't like how hard it is to tell where the bats are coming from in the Arid Grotto but that's really just a nitpick.
I'll see if I can make it less annoying anyway.

The boss fight at the end was one of the most creative ways I've seen to make a vanilla fight feel different. Overall, I really liked the pacing of it.

This took you five days to make?! Why can't other modders spend that long working on theirs?

I did cheat a little bit...the tiles aren't mine. They're taken from the beta screenshots and sandwiched into a single spritesheet.

Oh yeah! I want the tileset to be public domain, since I ripped the tiles from the Beta screenshots anyway. Here it it.

p180170-4-sgfhuz0.png

Every single room in the mod is made using this single tileset. Anyone can feel free to use it.

I think I may be so bold as to say this ranks in my Top 5 CS mods, well done!
Thanks! Like I said, I've been itching to create something worth posting for awhile now. I didn't bother working on custom sound effects and character sprites (except for a slightly redone PolarStar, using, again, Beta content) and I think that was for the better in the end. I should have the other issues fixed tonight, if I'm lucky, so watch out for that. And I'm really glad you enjoyed it. Any and all feedback is appreciated <3

(Also, I don't know if anyone noticed, but multiple rooms are recreations of areas from the beta. Such as this one. Also, the starting area is aswell.

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:13 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Kayya said:
Nice mod.
At one point, though, in the Arid Cave, enemies would stop dropping exp, hearts, whatever, and sometimes the effects of the fireball would stop too. Even sometimes the enemies didn't have their graphics but were there, and the acid drops sometimes didn't drop. I think it's an entity problem...Anyways, nice mod. I liked one line so much, I made a reaction picture out of it:
I had that problem with a mod of my own, it means that the particular room has reached the entity cap (The missing drops are entities that can't be placed).

@PolarStarGames: I'm not sure if Null's count toward the cap, but to minimize this effect, your options to fix this are to either remove some entities, or to have more that only appear with certain flags set/unset.

From the praise it's gotten so far, I've been considering checking this particular mod out when I'm not slaving over my own for weeks on end.

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:33 AM
The mod has been updated! View the changelog in the OP. It fixes all the issues presented...I think. If I missed anything, please tell me!

And for the apparent entity overload, turns out that due to the width of the map, bat generators are problematic. The bat spam gets pretty bad. So now those generators only start up during the final boss...which should alleviate most of the issues. I hope.

Edit: And remember, you can use your existing profile.dat. Just drag it into the new folder.

Feb 19, 2014 at 3:29 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Considering NoKutsuJustDou means pretty much what GIR said,
Why not something else, like...
NoMonogatariJustDoukutsu?
Actually no that's way too long.
Uhhh...
NMJD?