No Steam Overlay?

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:57 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey! I downloaded Cave Story because I love actions platformers! But the game works fine, but when running with steam (not the + version so with non-steam option) the steam overlay don't show, and it's pretty bad to play without since I chat with peoples and I don't like to not be fullscreen / getting back to window :p
Thanks!
(please don't tell me to buy the + version)

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:51 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Got4n said:
I downloaded Cave Story (the version with non-steam option)

the steam overlay don't show
I'm honestly not sure what you expected?
The version of the game that does not have steam support does not have steam support.

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:21 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I would recommend running DoConfig and setting up the game to run in windowed mode.

Noxid said:
I'm honestly not sure what you expected?
The version of the game that does not have steam support does not have steam support.
He means Steam as a completely separate process to CS. Essentially he wants to view steam and CS at the same time.

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:30 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Yeah, but he said he doesn't want to play in windowed mode either
I think he's set steam up to launch the game, which is all well and good, but that won't inject the steam overlay into a non-steam game afaik.

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:34 PM
Professional Whatever
Buy CS+ or play in windowed mode. You have no other options. You can't force the steam overlay into freeware cave story.

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:31 PM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I believe the reasoning behind this is that Cave Story uses a rather old version of DirectX, which the Steam Overlay does not support.
EDIT: The Steam Overlay does indeed work in other non-Steam games

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:18 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Given that Cave Story's full screen mode forces the resolution to 640x480 while it is active I would suggest that the Steam Overlay would look terrible even if it did work.

Aug 12, 2014 at 1:17 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Alright~ Well I got Steam Overlay working with Cave Story.
But, it will likely depend on your videocard and O/S, if it supports the software that I discovered.

It's cool though. I'm able to play Cave Story in 1680x1050 without switching resolutions, with steam overlay. (It also fixed some poorly nearest neighbor scaled issues I had with a RPGmaker game.)
But, it might have some glitches. I've tested a few mods, and the one issue I found was the blade's lvl 3 attack looks glitched. As if it isn't properly cutting just the part of the image it needs. But, I didn't test this in other mods/original to confirm.

Could probably get these issues fixed as it is an active project with SVN... So maybe community effort? Haven't checked.

Anyway! Here it is! DXGL :
DXGL is a project to create a DirectDraw/Direct3D version 1 to 7 implementation that runs on OpenGL 2.x. It is intended to alleviate some of the graphics glitches inherent with using legacy DirectX interfaces on modern video cards. The API will be 100% binary compatible with the system ddraw.dll file.

DXGL is currently in an alpha stage, but several applications and games already work.
https://www.williamfeely.info/wiki/DXGL#Downloads
Requirements :
Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, or 8.1 (May work under recent builds of Wine)
OpenGL 2.0 or higher compatible video card (3.x or higher recommended), with hardware accelerated non-power-of-two size textures
Visual C++ 2010 x86 runtime, available at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555 (will be installed if not present)

To get it working, after installing, open up DXGL Config, Add... the game.
Then I had to choose:
Texture filter: Nearest or Bilinear
Video mode: Aspect corrected stretch (couldn't get full-screen working)

You can play with the other options too, though most won't make a visual difference (maybe antialiasing...)
There's even "post-processing shader", which I have not looked at yet... Might be amusing if I can run some other third-party injectors to change the look of CS... lol

To add Steam Overlay, load steam, and Add a non-steam game... add it, and if you have DXGL setup, it should work.

EDIT: Here's some screenshots :
With overlay
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/571148671380357210/CBEE459FCE1FBBEF53F1CA8C010AD25B6A4114DB/
Bilinear
http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/571148671380353206/93C7000769481A878F65093B03AB69B2F7A821E3/
Nearest Neighbor
http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/571148671380358242/31942916B84FAC7AEF6943521BC0B7856CF0FF75/