No Post Count

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:02 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Maybe we shouldn't be discussing this, but I wholeheartedly agree with Cheese.

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:42 PM
/end
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Shirofan said:
I however do have the capacity to deal with it; and will now slink back into obscurity to avoid the outcry of those whose post count was revised downwards.

Not an outcry about lowered post count, more like a question about why does The SPOT count now?

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:33 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Does it really matter if the SPOT counts or not?

If a forum member only posts in the SPOT, they will have a large post count. However, their influence over the community isn't going to be very large considering that the majority of their contributions went to things like off-topic posts, which the SPOT was designed for.

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:45 AM
Been here way too long...
Post counts do mean something (or other), and having posts in the SPOT count will encourage some members to post like mad in there, since there are basically no rules. People who mostly post in the SPOT aren't respected anyway.

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:02 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
If posts everywhere count that means that they will all need to be held to the same standard. The SPOT basically exists so spam can exist. If you kids think I'm unfair now you won't want this happening :/

Once again I'll see if SP can do anything (it actually requires a different method altogether), otherwise I'll need to ask Shirofan again, to turn off posts in the Satellite Lounge (and I think Gamer's Lounge?).

AS FOR THE POST COUNTS

I have access to the postcount ratings for all high-post users for the beginning of last month (for entirely unrelated reasons), and I can also edit postcount manually for any given account. In this fashion I can simply count all (relevant) posts since the beginning of the month, add them up, and reset people's values.

I intend to do this, but it will take at least a few hours' worth of work just to essentially change a few numbers so by GOD I do not want to hear any more ungrateful bitching once I'm done with it.

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:27 AM
Okay, thanks DT.
I think posts in the Gamer's Lounge should count.

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:56 AM
/end
DoubleThink said:
Once again I'll see if SP can do anything (it actually requires a different method altogether), otherwise I'll need to ask Shirofan again, to turn off posts in the Satellite Lounge (and I think Gamer's Lounge?).

Actually, someone already fixed that. Otherwise Captain would still have over 3000 posts, and it was The SPOT that was counting, not the Satellite Lounge.

DoubleThink said:
I have access to the postcount ratings for all high-post users for the beginning of last month (for entirely unrelated reasons), and I can also edit postcount manually for any given account. In this fashion I can simply count all (relevant) posts since the beginning of the month, add them up, and reset people's values.

You better check again son, because unless SP gave you extra powers you can't actually change it, you can only view it.

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:30 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
MetaSeraphim said:
You better check again son, because unless SP gave you extra powers you can't actually change it, you can only view it.
This is completely wrong
SP can't access it either :)

Apparently there's a function somewhere that does it automatically, so manual counting isn't needed and this shall all be fixed as soon as we can find someone with actual access to it ._.

Furtherly apparently the postcounts changed twice more while I was asleep, and if the forums have been reset correctly I don't know why they're not fixed.

I'ma test something now, brb

Okay, posts count everywhere except the Satellite Lounge, like they're meant to. Postcount is just b0rked for some reason :/

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:56 AM
/end
DoubleThink said:
as soon as we can find someone with actual access to it ._.

Actually, I think I might have access to that. Let me check.

Ran it, but it seems like it lowered post counts instead of raising them.

Mar 19, 2010 at 10:04 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Don't bother changing my post count back, I couldn't care less.

Mar 19, 2010 at 10:59 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
@Jackalope: It doesn't matter at the moment because none of us can change postcount manually anyway D:

@thecrown: It's not about caring, it's about ensuring that the forums' history is preserved accurately. I don't want to overlook anything in the process of getting this fixed.

Mar 19, 2010 at 11:18 AM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
DoubleThink said:
If posts everywhere count that means that they will all need to be held to the same standard. The SPOT basically exists so spam can exist. If you kids think I'm unfair now you won't want this happening :/

I'm afraid I don't follow your logic here. Why do they all need to be held to the same standard? If Fab is right and counting SPOT posts would make people post there like crazy, I don't see how that would really matter since the whole purpose of the SPOT is for spam to exist. Saying that spam should not be allowed in the SPOT is like saying Cave Story discussion should not be allowed in the Cave Story discussion forum, and I don't hear you saying that, even though posts are counted there.

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:16 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Wedge of Cheese said:
Saying that spam should not be allowed in the SPOT is like saying Cave Story discussion should not be allowed in the Cave Story discussion forum, and I don't hear you saying that, even though posts are counted there.
Spam is allowed in the SPOT, because posts don't count there.

To explain:

Wedge of Cheese said:
I'm afraid I don't follow your logic here. Why do they all need to be held to the same standard? If Fab is right and counting SPOT posts would make people post there like crazy, I don't see how that would really matter since the whole purpose of the SPOT is for spam to exist.
Spam on any other part of the site isn't allowed. It would get deleted, and the count for that post would be removed with it.

The Satellite Lounge section exchanges the freedom to discuss things that have nothing to do with the site with a much lower expected quality of posting. As such, posts in that section aren't given the worth that posts in the relevant part of the site are. I think that's the idea behind it, and I'm pretty sure the Lounge has always been that way. As for the updated version, Media doesn't get many posts, and Forum-Based Games are sort of like on-topic spam in that they rack up masses of posts that are basically identical, which is something that really should not be allowed anywhere else on the site.

If you want posts to count in the Lounge, you will be expected to discuss a given topic with the same level of quality required by the rest of the site. That most likely means no FBG section, and absolutely no SPOT, because spam will no longer be allowed, period.

This is just the setup at the moment remember, and I wasn't involved with the redesign either. Maybe there could be another redesign, with a forum for general off-topic discussion where posts do count, and a separate section for hurrspam. Either way I'm not even considering anything like this until postcount gets fooxed :\

Mar 19, 2010 at 7:17 PM
graters gonna grate
DoubleThink said:
If you want posts to count in the Lounge, you will be expected to discuss a given topic with the same level of quality required by the rest of the site. That most likely means no FBG section, and absolutely no SPOT, because spam will no longer be allowed, period.

Have you taken a look at "the rest of the site" lately? It's really no different from the Satellite Lounge. And I don't mean that in a bad way. This idea that every post must not stray from the original topic of discussion is really just arrogant, elitist, unrealistic, and just plain silly. Ever listen to a conversation IRL? Topics often drastically change every few minutes. And there's nothing wrong with that. It doesn't mean that the conversation is unintelligent or "low quality"; it's just human nature to move from one topic to another as the flow of conversation directs. Besides, there's a reason that mods/admins are given the power to split/merge threads.

As far as post count is concerned, I just want to have a post count which is an accurate indicator of how many posts I have and not just some arbitrary number which fluctuates wildly depending on how the mods/admins are feeling at the time. Postcount should not mean "number of intelligent posts" or "number of relevant posts" it should just mean "number of posts" period.

Mar 21, 2010 at 12:40 AM
Yeah, that makes sense. A thing I saw people do on another forum was to have post count count for every single post no matter how irrelevant, but didn't show the post count on the main forum pages, just the user profile and members list. That could stop needless one upping, and still serve as an accurate counter.

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:17 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
If we went with WoC's idea and made all posts count, it'd actually be a bit of an idea to activate the reputation-thingy. Or something more strict where only mods/admins can adjust the value as a general summation of "this persons value to the forum". Mods/admins should increase the rep for useful, insightful, on-topic posts, and decrement it for trolling, flaming or whatever. Spam and stuff should be largely ignored as long as it's confined to the SPOT.

</twocents>

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:20 AM
Reputation points are a shit idea boots.
It's just another way of judging people when we really don't need any.

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:44 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
Lace said:
Reputation points are a shit idea boots.
It's just another way of judging people when we really don't need any.

Uhhh...
It'd be at staff-discretion. :/
Point is, if we made posts count everywhere, then yeah, people'd just +1 in the SPOT.
Rep'd at least mean that new users have some idea of who's likely just bullshitting.

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:15 AM
MetaSeraphim just posted a whole bunch in the SPOT, would you lower her reputation for that? We already went through the rep thing, and everyone agreed it was a bad idea. Everyone. Including you. New members can find out who's "bullshitting" by lurking or talking to members.

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:25 PM
graters gonna grate
Captain Fabulous said:
MetaSeraphim just posted a whole bunch in the SPOT, would you lower her reputation for that? We already went through the rep thing, and everyone agreed it was a bad idea. Everyone. Including you. New members can find out who's "bullshitting" by lurking or talking to members.

Agreed.

Also, a random idea, going off of what Lace said, what if you could see total postcount on the main forum posts and the members list, but on user profiles it showed how many posts were in each section of the forums?