New Mod - Never Look Back - aka. Icarus's Story

May 28, 2013 at 4:31 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I, am working on my first Cave Story mod! I have not done much, but this is what I have so far...

-You awaken by a gravestone which appears to be yours. You are not sure where you are, but it's very cold... You see a shelter which turns out to be an entrance to a cave! After finding the mystical =Ignis= (taken from "ignite") in a hideout, you go through a door that transports you to an area called Area 11. You move forward with hope.-

=UPDATES=
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Latest - 5/28/13

-Added scenery to Start Point
-Intensified First Cave (Going to update more!)
-Area 11 Exit
-Added Pool
-Added Ghost Village
-Added Ghost NPCs
-Added Swimming Game in Ghost Village
-Ignis pickup changed from -taking from Broken Robot- to -finding IGNIS in a fireball-

Need to fix - (Tell me if I missed something!) + means it's done, and will be in the next release.
Booster v0.8 pickup --> disappear +
Ignis, same deal +
Mimiga ghosts in Hideout, that was testing! +
(Work on mod)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Latest Version -
http://www.mediafire.com/?pqmk36s5r1n3afq

And some pictures, as requested --
1.PNG -- Start Point

2.PNG -- Strange Door -_-

3.PNG -- Area 11

May 28, 2013 at 5:57 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
This post needs more pictures and words.

Tell us what the mod is and what it is about instead of having to download it to know anything.
If you can, post some pictures of the mod. And try to put them here (google "image hosting")
And one more thing, try to make it a .zip file instead of a .rar, some people like it better that way.

Tell us information about the mod, we don't download stuff we don't know.

May 28, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Okay, I just finished playing here are my thoughts:
  • The maps look quite bland, they usually only consist of one foreground tile repeated and one background tile repeated; you should vary up the tiles used to give the maps a nicer look. I also think you should change some of the layouts of the maps, they are very boring to move around in, an example would be the First Cave map, the whole map is just a lot of straight lines, a way to fix this would be to make the map either smaller or make it more interesting by adding slopes, enemies and spikes to be avoided this would make it interesting to move around in instead of just walking in a straight line which an get monotonous.
  • A few scripting errors were that once you get both the Booster v0.8 and Blade from the first sparkle it doesn't disappear and you can still activate and it will still tell you that you just got the Blade even though you already have it. You will have to make the entity delete after you get the Blade so that people can't repeatedly activate it.
  • At Area 11 I came into a weird glitch, I was walking and then jumped to avoid Basil and it teleported me into Egg No.6 and when I left it teleported me back into Area 11 but there was no floor and I was nowhere to be seen on screen. I am guessing this happened because you forgot to remove the Horizontal Triggers that are in the Egg Corridor, just make sure to remove all entities that are not being used.
  • I started the mod again and I don't know where to go from here, the floor at Area 11 just stops and I can't go forward any more.
Here is my example, I hope you don't mind but I edited your maps to show you how to make a more interesting map, it is my redesign of the First Cave map:
diph.php

May 28, 2013 at 3:16 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
ok I will try it and give you an opinion

May 31, 2013 at 11:59 PM
@PixelVortex

I might, no, WILL consider it in a later update, it is my first mod. I'm still learning! :>

(It looks nice btw) :3

I can't currently work on this mod, finals and all. I will get back to the project sometime in June. It's pretty glitchy right now, and stuff isn't going the way I hoped it would. Don't worry, I'll get back to it!

(Pretty sure this thread is dead too XP)

Never even mind. This mod is on hold. I think I'm just going to make some challenges. Will be back whenever...

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
finals is delaying progress with me as well...

but keep practicing modding... some really fun stuff can be made once you know how to use certain commands and tricks.

If making a story is challenging... yah.. just work on challenges and level designs... just don't be one of those that releases a demo and then disappears from the forums...

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:34 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm learning too. Working on my own mod!

I will try it tomorrow morning.

Jun 1, 2013 at 7:05 PM
I wont. I swear.^^
But I'm a bit irritated at some of the glitches in the village and the "Lab," so, I'm going to put this on hold and make a couple of challenges. Hey, maybe I'll stumble upon the solution!

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:21 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I can't run your mod for some reason. Maybe it's that you compressed it into a rar file instead of a zip file. D:

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:52 AM
Completely remaking... - ? %

There will be no updates, until the first copy is released.

Don't wait or expect it, I'll let whoever's interested know.

Someday...