New Cave Story beta footage

Dec 22, 2019 at 8:33 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"

This appeared on YouTube yesterday

Dec 22, 2019 at 10:55 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Having high quality direct capture is something great, there's alot to unpack in these videos:
-Quote made a tapping noise when walking
-Quote has the most adorable hurt sound
-Flying soaps only fly after being damaged
-Floor dude from the 10th anniversary reveal has a bigger variant
-Opening and closing the menu makes a satisfying 'thwip' noise
-Puu doesn't do contact damage
-Puu made a growling noise in some of his dialogue
-There are passive creatures (I.e the frogs)
-The unused campfire sprite is used in the beta
-Missile launcher had a different trajectory and was alot more noisy
-Bouncing crocs are found in bubbles and they do indeed open their mouths
-Sand Zone had the same wind sound effect that the waterway does, maybe the outer wall, wind fortress, and balcony also used this sound?
-New Djinn enemy, cool looking but boring to fight it seems
-Mimiga statues weren't only in the outer wall
-Paw print blocks and eye blocks in sand zone
-More than just the plantation uses the main theme
-Oscar's lightning attack sounds like a fucking gun
-Beta Grasstown indeed does use Pier Walk
-Black flying soaps fly through tiles

There's alot more to look at but this is just the gist of it.

Dec 22, 2019 at 11:11 PM
"Huzzah!"
This a historical find.
I couldn't believe what I saw when I came across this video.
hopefully this will lead up to the beta being released or leaked.

Dec 22, 2019 at 11:21 PM
Stoned Member
Don't get your hopes up

I wouldn't doubt it's one of the beta testers that uploaded the vid, and they probably got Pixel's permission considering how close it was to the game's 15th anniversary

CS Beta 2024

Dec 23, 2019 at 1:00 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
So I've pointed this out to Jade when I saw the videos, but the username of the person who uploaded those videos is "Nao_u". They share similar names to this artist who helped with Cave Story named Naoku, and actually, you can see an image they made of Curly in the Cave Story manual in the vanilla directory.
p372149-0-bse6nl.png

Should it be that same Naoku that uploaded those videos, then this would confirm that it's recorded from someone that worked or tested with Pixel.

Dec 23, 2019 at 3:20 AM
"Huzzah!"
This looks like it'll be just as cool as Cave Story, or better
I'm glad this is what were seeing now
I just wonder if its going to spawn as much editors, music editor, and everything else that goes along with it
I also want to know if it connects to Cave Story beyond characters
it also looks better than Cave Story and it might have upgrades to guns, and after seeing the selection of guns, I wonder if you have to buy some, that would be cool
Will it be as cool? Will it live to the original games legacy? Will it have just as much of a following? I hope so, and I will play this game no matter what the price

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 3:20 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I found him on Twitter, Pixel follows him, so they must, in some way, know eachother.

Dec 23, 2019 at 4:16 AM
Stoned Member
I imagine a Beta release will spark new life in the modding community

And theoretically if it gets enough attention, NICALiS or someone here could pick it up and finish it and make it its own game

Dec 23, 2019 at 5:04 AM
"Huzzah!"
I imagine a Beta release will spark new life in the modding community

And theoretically if it gets enough attention, NICALiS or someone here could pick it up and finish it and make it its own game
I'd love to see that happen.
But the chances are slim like you said earlier.

Dec 23, 2019 at 6:14 AM
"Huzzah!"
I uh... don't think you understand what this is at all.
This is footage of an unreleased version of Cave Story that was scrapped before the current version of Cave Story started development. From what we can tell, numerous assets, maps, characters and a lot of code from it made it into the final game, but the story was heavily remodelled. Pixel has stated no intention to allow any of the people who have copies of these versions to release any of them, and so out of respect they have not and will not.
Although this is absolutely incredible, just like the Doggy Wyvern footage that room_909 released a few weeks ago, this also may well be the end of the line for what we see of this fascinating version of the game.
by the title, I thought it was a new game, no I didn't, I saw all this new stuff as well, I thought this was a completely different game (-characters and stuff)
oops

Dec 23, 2019 at 4:27 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I'm pretty sure this is some of the footage from GDC 2011, it shows some of the same areas with what i'm pretty sure are the same movements.
Also though it's cool this was posted it's kind of bittersweet knowing we'll still probably never get to play it..

Dec 23, 2019 at 6:47 PM
Stoned Member
Always could hope for showcases of all of the different areas, or at the very least another asset dump

Then Rain would be able to fully bring Beta Cvae to fruition in almost a sort of... REMASTERED version for WiiWare.

Dec 23, 2019 at 6:52 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Considering this is a historical find, I just hope that both the Cave Story and Cave Story Modding Wiki (it's a disgrace that such a useful asset had been abandoned) will be updated with this new info.