Need a story writer or creative designer...

Apr 14, 2013 at 6:10 AM
Banned
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm planning on making quite a big game here, specifically, a prequel to Cave Story. If anyone is willing to participate, PM me for more details. Here's a hint; the main engine is almost done.

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
Sorry to burst your bubble but you can't receive or send PMs yet.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and hope that you don't disappear in a month. First off, I'd like to say that there is a mod here in (long) development called Cloud Story, which is built upon most of the theories here, so there might be some plagiarisms if you follow the ideas of the members here.

Oh, and I'm meaning to say that I'm interested in being a story writer for your mod. I can't say I'm a good one, but I assure you i'm Genre Savvy enough to not make things cliched.

Have you got the general plot already?

Apr 14, 2013 at 6:01 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I'm willing to try my best to story write my way around. To be honest, I haven't read a whole lot on Cloud Story, but I know that it's supposed to be a prequel to Cave Story. Having a plot will help the people who want to story write, so do have that ready.

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2135344/ My Fanfiction account where I have some stories.

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Banned
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It's not a mod, and I just need someone who can make the "Story" part come true. The endings, the story, the sequence of events, areas, etc. I am really, really lacking when it comes to creativity - any help would be appreciated. You can even throw in some boss and enemy designs, anything. As for the plot, I was thinking about making the game based around the events during which the Doctor first obtained the Demon Crown. Near the end of the game, Balrog and Misery would probably team up against Quote right before fighting off the Doctor, but that's where my creativity falls short for what to make of the final boss. The Doctor is already fought in the first game, how do I make him more exciting a second time around? I really suck at this "creativity" stuff. New weapons, new projectiles, new bosses, why was I given such poor imagination? The last time I tried to design a weapon, I came up with the idea of it growing more powerful the less health you have. What does that add? What gameplay element does that stretch? What does it change? The risk and reward factor? I don't want the player running around with 5 health all the time just so they can do extra damage, there's a sense of thrill, yes, but the sense of frustration is what I want to cut down upon. Every time I died in the original CS, I just felt less and less motivated to continue playing. I was basically forced to do all the things I just did 2 minutes ago for a second time; where's the fun in that? I hate having to use my head to come up with concepts, mainly because I'm just so stupid.

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Try me, teachers say my writing gives every individual character a different set of personalities in a better fashion than most of the students do.

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Could you show us a sample of what your engine is capable of? And I'd be willing to discuss ideas if I am needed. However, you do have Moon, Rubyyoshi, and ChimeApple already, so with your combined ideas, you should already be able to create an original response to the prequel dilemma easily! :D

As for Cloud Story:
There is a sign hidden at the entrance to Cloud Story : "Welcome to Development Hell!"
http://cloudstorymod.wordpress.com/about/

Cloud Story is vaporware. It is my own personal dream of a prequel.

I have had a story, though mostly only on paper... it has been imagined vividly, but I've never had the clarity or determination to transfer into a playable form.

And in the end, without discussing with Pixel the idea of his world; I feel like anything I create will be a false representation of what was originally intended. Each time he answers a question and it's not what was expected it forces me to recalculate...
Because my driving point was to emulate Cave Story into a new game, in all aspects, so that you would be fooled as to who created it.

But even if I could achieve PIXEL, I would still be a clone. So, at least recently, I set that idea aside, and am working on a story that is my own.

...If only the forum was more of an internet cafe at times... Then people could walk up and give me a good slap, but alas being alone I easily let imagination take over, no work is produced, and precious time is lost.

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:14 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Moon said:
First off, I'd like to say that there is a mod here in (long) development called Cloud Story, which is built upon most of the theories here, so there might be some plagiarisms if you follow the ideas of the members here.
That's not how plagiarism works.

Seriously Zileas, you are fine. Don't worry about any other prequel mod, just do your own take on a prequel.

Most people are more willing to help out directly if you've produced something beforehand, so maybe focus on mapping first and story later. You could always add placeholders for dialogue if needs be.

Apr 15, 2013 at 3:48 AM
Zileas said:
Near the end of the game, Balrog and Misery would probably team up against Quote right before fighting off the Doctor, but that's where my creativity falls short for what to make of the final boss. The Doctor is already fought in the first game, how do I make him more exciting a second time around?
Um, if this is supposed to be a prequel to Cave Story, how about Miakid or some other crown bearer? Also, since it's a Prequel, Curly and Quote are supposed to lose at some point, but you could make that part of a cutscene. I was thinking hpj or whatever the command for when your health gets to a certain point, it runs event####, or make it like the Undead Core where after you win, you still have to escape and you can die in the escape sort of thing. (Sorry if i'm getting confusing here)

As for inspiration for weapons and enemies, that might be a different story... It's possible to come up with idea, but you might have to stretch the reasoning why something exists.

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:51 AM
That would be an interesting idea, but looking at the video, I'm not sure if it'd be implementable, seeing as that was Cs Version 0.0.0.6... (And the current release version is something like 1.0.0.6)
It would prove to have a lot of potential then.

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:05 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
...im pretty sure that was that game maker cave story engine.

Apr 16, 2013 at 3:17 AM
Based Member
So that video isn't by you? As of the posting of this post, it says the video was posted only two hours ago. Considering that your post showing the video was made a little bit less than three hours ago, you must have found that video barely minutes after it was uploaded. Also, when he opens up his inventory thirty seconds into the video, it shows a key that looks distinctly like one of yours. Is there any reason for this?

Apr 16, 2013 at 3:25 AM
Banned
"Fresh from the Bakery"
[Dude, don't clock block me. Act like I'm new here, k? I really need some damn help with this engine]

Apr 16, 2013 at 3:44 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Zileas said:
[Dude, don't clock block me. Act like I'm new here, k? I really need some damn help with this engine]
let me guess, you're thecore?

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:36 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
*sigh*

You better not be.

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
No evidence of it currently (and his post doesn't directly imply he's been here before, though lord knows what it actually means). However, what he has done is create two new accounts at once, the other of which I've now taken care of. Is that one of the basics of internet use they're teaching now? "Always make at least two accounts when joining a site in case the other one gets banned and somehow no-one figures out they're the same"?

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:26 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Wiring sprouts that are good is difficult but for something like this you can follow some story templates. Go look up tvtropes and other such sites for ways to fill the gap. I don't think you need a woofer for a little cave story thing as the point is that your just trying out game making stuff.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Lets review shall we..

Zileas posted his key gfx in a thread:
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/4768/

Those same graphics appeared in a video that was posted not long before being "found" by Zileas.

When questioned about it he said "Act like I'm new here, k?". This would suggest that Zileas was either a lurker or is an alt.

The youtube account associated with that video was used by The Core.

Even if The Core was stealing Zileas' key gfx, or The Core was pretending to have made Zileas' stuff it would hardly encourage such a response. The keys, the video, the youtube account, the statement, Zileas, The Core, it's all connected. Thus I have come to the conclusion that it was Rev. Green in the Ballroom with the pipe Zileas and The Core are one and the same.

(I blame this on watching too many detective shows)