my school put up a giant square thing

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:55 AM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
ok yeah fair enough

but what about art that is created specifically with no purpose in mind? I'm pretty sure that was an art movement at one point.

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:00 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yeah, you're thinking of Dadaism, seen here.

But the point is to be pointless, they created it for a reason, even if the reason is no reason at all. I suppose that is a massive grey area, but other than that I'd say all art has a point.

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:14 AM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
Hmmmm... That's a nice square.

Modern Art doesn't get any worse than this thing.
YFQkm.jpg

OH SHIT THATS AWESOME.

Jun 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
My bet is on whoever managing the school's spending was probably drunk at that time.

Jun 5, 2012 at 6:05 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I think he meant that if someone is going to call out a work of art as being pointless would be a rather fruitless endeavor, as all art lies on the same ground as this particular minimalist sculpture. On top of that, all art has the same point once you get down to it: to express yourself.

"Like fuckin' Salvador Dali, what's up with that dude? Just a bunch of pointless abstract shit, doesn't make any sense. Clocks can't melt, and dudes can't just hatch out of the world; it's a world, not an egg. It's so pointless."
See D:

In this particular case, however, it seems that the expression is not received very well by most people.

I, for one, happen to like Salvador Dali's art. It's strange and whimsical(I like strange and whimsical).

Jun 5, 2012 at 9:03 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Note that cult put that in quotes, meaning it's an example of what an oblivious person may say. cult himself may or may not like salvador dali, but that's not what that post was about.

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:50 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
My only real thought on the issue is that it would be nice to know the exact cost of setting that up. If they paid more than $1000, I'd say that it is a pretty large waste of money.

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:10 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
There was a really tiny courtyard (and I mean tiny) in the middle of my high school that you weren't allowed to use. Seriously, I only went out there like once or twice in my 4 years of being there. Anyway, there was this big decorative rock that cost a couple thousand dollars. Now I find that pretty "pointless". Probably even moreso than the frame since it's in a closed off area nobody ever goes to.

Jun 6, 2012 at 7:13 AM
Absentee Modder
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Obviously the materials and construction price are negligible, unless it's made of platinum or something. So, the main value here must be in the idea.

What's the valuable idea? That something mundane becomes art if it's looked at differently?
That's been done to death already. Like Duchamp's urinal.

Producing nothing and then trying to sell it isn't art. Okay, it could be, but only the first time.

After that, it's just taking candy from rich idiots (and in this case, idiots who control a lot of money).