My new sound card killed Cave Story?

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:48 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hello, I'm new around these parts.

Anyway, I'm having a bit of trouble running Cave Story after installing a new sound card (A Turtle Beach Montego DDL).

When it reaches the screen that prompts you to load or start a new game, it promptly locks up and goes into a blue screen of death then the computer shuts itself down and restarts.

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me solve this problem.

Jul 20, 2007 at 10:27 PM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Bizzare. Cave story came out in 2004, so there shouldn't be anything yet it's not compatible with.

What OS are you running?

Jul 20, 2007 at 10:36 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Mister_Wilbur said:
Hello, I'm new around these parts.

Anyway, I'm having a bit of trouble running Cave Story after installing a new sound card (A Turtle Beach Montego DDL).

When it reaches the screen that prompts you to load or start a new game, it promptly locks up and goes into a blue screen of death then the computer shuts itself down and restarts.

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me solve this problem.

Funny, that's where the sound starts.
Probably a driver problem.

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:29 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oddly enough, the problem starts when I try selecting Load game or starting a new game. This is after the music starts up... Which is really weird.

I'm running Windows XP, haven't had any problems with it and Cave Story before...

Also I've attempted reinstalling the sound drivers, but this has not remedied the problem. The sound card I had previously was an eight year old Sound Blaster, but I don't know if the transition from old to new might have caused a problem.

I've even tried seeing if it was the new video card drivers I recently installed, rolled them back to a version I had previously but the problem still persisted.

This is probably one of those bizarre gremlins that are only remedied by reformatting the hard disk and starting anew. I'm hoping it won't come to that.

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:55 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Whenever i have a sound problem the computer simply shuts down and restarts without ever displaying a blue screen. (Note: Never, ever try and play a 32-bit wav file)

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:15 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
tried lowering sound acceleration for Cave Story?
Control Panel -> Sound, Speech, and Audio Devices -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Audio tab -> Sound Playback Advanced -> Performance Tab -> Lower Hardware Acceleration one from off or all the way off.

Any help?

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:45 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Huzzah! That was the trick! Thank you!