My music is degrading.

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:29 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've played Cave Story for a while and to make a long story short, parts of the music skip.

For example:
Normal
Melody: Di didi da do de da.
Rhythm: bum bum bum bum

What my computer is doing.
Melody: Di...... da .... de.....
Rhythm: bum bum bum bum

This seems different from your average sound problem because for one, it gets worse over time and only affects the melody, and two this problem is also affecting the organya viewer music as well as the game.

The game is not lagging or crashing. But I find it diffcult to play when you only hear 1/3 of the melody in seperate beats. Every masterpiece of a song is reduced to extremely simple and annoying noises.

I'm running this on Windows XP, I tried changing my speakers and doing a virus scan already. If you need anymore information please let me know.

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:02 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ok first of all that was just rude. Second of all, my computer can play the songs correctly except in the game or in organya viewer. If I go on to youtube for example, I can hear the songs properly in the videos.

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:18 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ok, can you recommend a good sound card then?

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:27 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ok I'll see if someone knows something about soundcards and wishes to recommend one. But just for the record, are you sure that it's my sound card?

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:08 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Mybad said:
Ok I'll see if someone knows something about soundcards and wishes to recommend one. But just for the record, are you sure that it's my sound card?
Two things:
1. Ignore Jacob.
2. I have no idea to be honest. The weird thing is that everything else plays normally. Is it certain notes? Or does it just skip randomly? There is always a chance that it could be a driver issue or some other software related issue rather than a hardware issue (soundcard).

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:21 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Try disabling any enhancements your sound card might be using.
Experiment with your sound card's properties... I had a similar problem on my old computer, and fixed it by trying different settings.

And welcome to the forums :D

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:07 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Actually now that I think about it, there aren't any particular notes it screws up on. However I only experience the problem with certain songs.

Songs that are slightly messed up.

Mischievous robot, Meltdown 2, Jenka 1, Jenka 2.

Songs that are really messed up.

Mimiga Town, Safety, Grasstown, Quiet, Hero's end.

The other songs in the soundtrack are fine.
Is there something about these songs that might cause a problem?

Edit: How do I access my sound card's properties? I don't know where to look.

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:39 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I had something similar happen to me a while ago. Some songs have Stereo sound, so that certain notes only play in one ear/speaker, and none of the notes in the left speaker would play. Turns out it was just a sound balancing issue.
Then again I run Windows, and one of the songs in question was Gestation, which you say works fine. Guess this doesn't help much then :D

Dec 3, 2008 at 2:03 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
What do you actually mean by your pc can play the songs but not ingame or inorgmaker? Where can it then?

andwhyisit said:
1. Ignore Jacob..
Andwhyisit that you haven't implemented this into the forum rules?

Dec 3, 2008 at 2:18 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
DoubleThink said:
I had something similar happen to me a while ago. Some songs have Stereo sound, so that certain notes only play in one ear/speaker, and none of the notes in the left speaker would play. Turns out it was just a sound balancing issue.
Then again I run Windows, and one of the songs in question was Gestation, which you say works fine. Guess this doesn't help much then :D
Could be the other speaker that isn't playing though. *shrug*

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:58 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
JacobX891 said:
Places where it isn't an .org format. This is obviously a soundcard issue if it's only one type of file that's screwing up, it just can't properly play that kind of file. The only two things to do here are: a) get a new soundcard, and b) delete all music in the game and play your own.

Of course this is the perspective of a 1337 h4xx0r, not a 1337 h4ck0r.
If you are wrong then Mybad would be wasting his/her money on a sound card without any solution to the problem. I am at least smart enough to try and figure out if it is a software issue or not before wasting money on hardware fixes that may or may not solve the problem.

Dec 3, 2008 at 11:02 AM
"Huzzah!"
OMG same happens to me just latley so i reinstalled cavestory delux done all better dont know why though

Dec 3, 2008 at 8:36 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Um... how does one type of file not working = soundcard issue? I'd me more inclined to think it has nothing to do with the sound card, since all other sound apparently works fine.

Dec 3, 2008 at 8:50 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Dec 3, 2008 at 9:17 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm going to try changing the sound card settings first and then try reinstalling the game. But right now I have school work to do, so this will have to be later. Thanks to everyone who offered advice. :eek:

Edit: Well I've reinstalled just the game. I put everything on a back up just in case. I'm gonna keep playing Cave Story until I get to a part where one of the problem songs plays to see if it worked. (Still stuck trying to beat Ironhead with no hits) until then I'll just hope for the best.

Reinstalling WORKED! (Does victory jig)
I also beat the game.