Music - Quantum Destination

Jul 14, 2007 at 8:01 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It all started after i had listened to the last battle song far, far too many times (60? 70?). I got a melody idea and tried to make it into a default trance/techno song. Unfortunatly, it didn't have the right feel to it at all, and i ended up shelving the song. Later (I.E. about 1 hour ago :p ) i realised that the melody i had resembled many of the Cave Story songs, so i redid the entire song attempting to replicate the feel of Cave Story. I'm very pleased with the results, but i was hoping to have a bit of feedback from the community here.

Quantum Destination (mirror)

All music is licensed under the Creative Commons 3.0 license.

Jul 14, 2007 at 4:13 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
It's pretty good, I think, but not really Cave Story.

It's a little light (Could use some stronger and more existent bass), but I say that so much that sometimes I wonder if really that's just a personal nitpick and not good criticism. :p

The drums are kinda boring. I'd suggest speeding them up to increase the pace of the song. Also, the main melody is nice (Lord knows I can't pull an original tune out of my ass), but nothing happens with it. Once I did notice a little variance with the strings, which was nice, but that's it. It would be cool as hell if you tried some other melodies, or maybe even a solo for the lead near the end. :p

It's a fun listen. Good song. But it has the potential to be a great song if you work on it. :p

Jul 14, 2007 at 5:08 PM
"Huzzah!"
Not a bad start, I say, but it most definitely does need a more defined bassline. It's very top-heavy as it is, really, but with a few little additions it can be a jewel. :p

While I don't have any professional tools on me or anything, I'm actually tempted to fire up Impulse Tracker and hack up a quick remake of this, hehe. Pretty good idea, really! :p

Jul 14, 2007 at 6:59 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've always sucked at drums :p

I'll try putting in a bunch more variation for the song. Its funny because usually i'm pretty good about putting in lots of variation... go figure.

Glad you guys liked it :p

Jul 14, 2007 at 7:23 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Yeah, it's fairly good, but with stronger drums this could really be great (I'm not a musician in any way, shape, or form, so I don't really know what I'm talking about. :p ).

Actually, this song would be great for a level. Maybe not so much a boss, but this would be awesome as the BGM for a level of some kind. Especially something high-tech and mysterious.

Jul 14, 2007 at 8:07 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ok, i tweaked the song, added a bassline, and put variation all over the place, extended the alternate melody, and tried to put more variation into the drums, and also adjusted my kick sound so its a bit more powerful. Hope you like it :p

Quatum Destination v2 (mirror)

Jul 14, 2007 at 9:03 PM
"..."
It's definitely an improvement over the last one. The melody changes you made really make it much more interesting - I can definitely see this as the background music for a tech level of some kind...

...except I still do have some complaints. Mostly the same ones from before. The bass you added in is nice but is still high and thin - maybe lower it a key and boost it up a bit? And the drums don't seem to have changed at all - they're too slow and make the song feel basic, kind of like a processing march, but the music doesn't match. If you sped the drums up, and upped the tempo of the song a bit, it could turn into a slick piece of work.

It is way better though, and still much more than I could do myself. :p

Jul 14, 2007 at 9:08 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm really, really bad at bass, and not very good with drums (its why i prefer doing piano and more classical oriented songs, this really isn't my usual style =\). If i try to up the bass, it either overpowers everything else, makes the song sound bad, or doesn't exist.

Now, upping the tempo i probably can. In the original version, i had the melody going twice as slow, but the actual BPM was twice as fast. As it is, the songs only going at 116, i could easiely push it to 220, double the length of the melody, and make the drums go crazy, except thats all i really know how to do, make the drums go really fast. And that doesn't nessacarily make them sound good. So, is there a drums expert here who could provide assistance? :p

Jul 14, 2007 at 10:02 PM
"..."
Perhaps DrumUltima? :p

Jul 15, 2007 at 5:43 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well after much thought i decided i would give it a shot myself. I'm pretty good about getting good beats, but i'm unsure of my drum instrument usage (and questionable samples), so criticism is welcome :p This is uncharted territory and i'd like to improve :p

Quantum Destination v3 (mirror)