Murky Oddity

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:48 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Sup yall.

For whoever this may concern, I have been working on a game. I've been using a program called Construct which is a somewhat simple and extremely useful game making program, "alot more complex than Game Maker in my opinion" and it's free so if your interested in making a game check it out. But I digress...

Murky Oddity is a RPG Puzzle/platformer set inside a network a caves, "no Cave Story refrence intended" in which our heros Veyrn and Soyah explore vast tunnels and caverns. Veyrn is the main character, who has fallen into a hole bringing him to this enviornment, and Soyah is his companion who is cursed and can not touch light. It is solid to her. So let's use that to our advantage! Is that a search light? Turn it on it's side and make a bridge for her to cross! Is that light being blocked? Find a mirror! But it's not just puzzles using the same props over and over again!

Inside there are indeed other people and even ghosts an ancient civilization. They're not so bad either, I guess a couple centuries spent with other ghosts removes any desire to scare and haunt people.

Of course I also I have a villian and even a goal, "besides get out of the cave". Miza, "Who speaks in language so complex she needs a translator" is cursed similarly to Soyah, and by the same force. An ancient Obsidian Mirror, said to once be owned by a goddess. When it cursed them it shattered and fell into a stream leading to a variety of areas in the cave. If Miza gets it back, she can end her curse and reign terror on the surface. But the same can be said of ending Soyah's curse, right? Either way it is vital you obtain them first. Generically there are 7 pieces of this mirror, but I have a few other ideas to deter from the typical Mario RPG type game's plot. SPeaking of which, this game was heavily inspired by another:

So for those interested in hearing more, check out mah blog in my sig, or just click here: http://towersdevelopment.wordpress.com/

"For those concerned about Towers, it is still being worked on, just much slower."

Questions, comments, concerns?

EDIT: Here is a small file for you guys to mess with what I currently have. It's just some walking around and jumping at the moment, but I'll make a full on testing room when I have more to test out. The max jump height may need tweaking.
http://www.mediafire.com/?yit7a9o39vvdi6g

Aug 31, 2011 at 7:25 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Pics or it doesn't exist

Aug 31, 2011 at 8:02 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Construct is cool. Even Joakim Sandberg now uses it. (If you didn't click, he's the guy who made Chalk, Noitu Love, and such).

Even so... I've never tried Construct, so I can't give details about it.

Aug 31, 2011 at 10:51 AM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
A game with a name "murky oddity" is just begs for playing. Is there a download yet? Only can notice dl link for Towers. Also "Miza" is I think a too trivial name which along the obvious caves would imply it is too-too similar to CS.

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:09 PM
Professional Whatever
Sounds amazing and original!
Although I don't really like the title. It seems random. You have two vampire-cursed main characters inside a cave who have to collect 7 pieces of a mirror.
Other than that, wow!
Also, NOITU LOVE. That guy is win.
Finish Legend of Princess! (If he reads the CS forums >.<)

1000th post!

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:27 PM
I don't anymore.
Time did not permit me to go into further detail. One might notice that this is in the development thread, which I assumed works similarly to the one for modding, in which the person talked about there game and then worked on it. Either way this game is heavily under development and the blog I mentioned has more plot details and other information that justifies the title. No pics cause I was lazy, but I'll get some after school, also on the blog is a download with a physics test that I need to throw into the downloads section.

Sep 10, 2011 at 12:03 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."
Ohhey, here's the thread for this. Like I said before, I'm willing to help out with the sprites, just tell me what you need and I'll get on it (eventually). Also, your use of quotation marks confuses me greatly THAT'S NOT HOW THEY'RE USED

Sep 10, 2011 at 12:34 AM
I don't anymore.
Cripplechair said:
Ohhey, here's the thread for this. Like I said before, I'm willing to help out with the sprites, just tell me what you need and I'll get on it (eventually). Also, your use of quotation marks confuses me greatly THAT'S NOT HOW THEY'RE USED

Nag nag nag. You sound like my mother, "and also Lace" that's not important right now. I could've sworn I'd posted a message on your profile about the subject. But I think I forgot to mention the standard tile size is 64x64 and I need something 128x128.

For everyone else, development is going smoothly. Just trying to program the events that occur when you touch an enemy.

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:06 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."
I got the original proposition, but not any specifics on what to start on first. And what can I say? I grew up with an English major for a dad, too much improper syntax gets to me after awhile.

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:21 AM
I don't anymore.
Cripplechair said:
I got the original proposition, but not any specifics on what to start on first. And what can I say? I grew up with an English major for a dad, too much improper syntax gets to me after awhile.

I put another message on your page, saw it successfully posted there, and checked a few minutes ago to discover it wasn't there. I can't get to mah PC until tommorow, so details then.

My mom isn't an english major but acts like one. She's a bit obssesive.

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:30 PM
Been here way too long...
Dear Hy: Never use quotation marks again.

I'm also wondering how this is going to affect progress on towers? I really like towers.

Sep 12, 2011 at 5:16 AM
I don't anymore.
Lace said:
Dear Hy: Never use quotation marks again.

I'm also wondering how this is going to affect progress on towers? I really like towers.

YOU WILL GET WHAT YOU GET AND YOU WILL LIKE IT! But really, I have no plans to stop Towers, I just slowed it down a bit. I might pull a Noxid and rerelease the first part with the double res hack and several extreme changes to it. Many of which are already done. Definatley more ASM.

Sep 24, 2011 at 10:08 PM
I don't anymore.
So far this has been moving... slowish. Lots of programing, but seemingly little progress. I suppose that's the pain in the ass part of it. A special thanks to Cripplechair for some spriting help by the way. I have updated my blog for those who want details.

Sep 24, 2011 at 10:36 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
Lots of programing, but seemingly little progress.
I feel you bro :awesomeface:

Sep 24, 2011 at 10:40 PM
I don't anymore.
Noxid said:
I feel you bro :cool:

It will drive me insane. I just know it.
heh.
heh heh.
Ha.
HA. HA!
Ah HA HA!
AH HA HA HAAAA!
:awesomeface:

(ahem)
That's why I've been asking for help when ever possible. I don't plan on going the Studio Pixel route and doing it all by myself.