Movie

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:13 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
My buddy and I are making a tribute movie to cave story called "Tale of the cave" which is the literal translation of Doukutsu Monogatari we're just starting out and we're 8th graders with little or no budget we have a green screen, and a costume maker for the mimigas. Sadly like Hollywood we're changing the original to fit what we can do. We were wondering if you had any ideas or could help us with ideas for the core.
Another thing we would appreciate if you've seen an existing move/video that you can tell us about, and we'd like some advice.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:25 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Wow... That's certainly ambitious. I'm curious what sort of costumes you'd be working with, and what sort of post production experience that you have.

Is this your first time attempting something of this scale? This could be a whole lot of work, though I'm sure there's ways of doing much of it.

I have lots of questions, and some food for thought on this project, but i've got class in 5 minutes, so for now, i'll ask this:
-Do you plan on having the camera movement and character movement mimic the camera work in cavestory?

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:34 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
No as I said we will sadly change a bit of it
We're going for the kind of thing that if cave story was cinematic
We're making quote talk because you can't have the main character an empty shell like how you would with a video game
For our mimiga costumes we will have a type of thing where they have floppy ears paws and animal type feet while painting their exposed skin white
We're sadly not very professional but we will try our best and remake the game as much as possible
because of the cupids and effects you would need for the Balos boss fight we will go for the normal ending
Don't expect excellence but expect a few fans trying to re create a good game.
because you cant have a man in a giant box we're trying to think of a new way to visualize Balrog we're thinking of having him a silly demon type thing because of his name, balrog would just look pretty stupid real life as a costume for a movie, sadly.
Jacobs wrote bit of the script and he decided to start it off in the past where news reports are talking about the floating islands discovery over an island in the south pacific ocean, he chose this location because it's secluded and seems like people wouldn't discover it for a while.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:38 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Oh, my stars. Do you realize what an enormous undertaking this would be if you want to be at all true to the original story? To be honest, I think you wouldn't be able to do it effectively without special effects (how would you do the underwater scenes?), but I suppose even if all you have is a video camera and editing software you could get something half-decent.

I recommend saving Curly, even though you don't plan to do the best ending...

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:38 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Sad

No Toaster/Lunch Box/Suitcase/Soap Balrog?

;-;

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:40 AM
In front of a computer
Re: Sad

In a pinch, a painted cardboard box would do for Balrog. You could attach strings to it and control it puppet-like. If you're small enough and can find a big enough box, you could have someone hiding under the box, but that's somewhat unlikely. Not many boxes are large enough to hide in.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:40 AM
Celtic Minstrel said:
Oh, my stars. Do you realize what an enormous undertaking this would be if you want to be at all true to the original story? To be honest, I think you wouldn't be able to do it effectively without special effects (how would you do the underwater scenes?), but I suppose even if all you have is a video camera and editing software you could get something half-decent.

I recommend saving Curly, even though you don't plan to do the best ending...
We have some effect experience and a green screen we got the underwater scene problems addressed and we'll try to be as true to the original as possible. I'm going to be replaying the normal ending quite a bit to make sure of most details

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:43 AM
In front of a computer
Ah yes, I suppose underwater scenes might be doable with the green-screen especially since they're mostly walking along the bottom... you'd have to make sure to walk slowly as if trying to push through water...

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:45 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Personally, instead of trying to capture all of cave story in a movie, I recommend either
a) choosing a particular scene of interest and focusing on that, or
b) making an 'abridged' version or a parody
because honestly, I believe it's too much of an undertaking to try and shoot the whole game. You'd most likely get stuck, discouraged, weary of it, etc. Pick something easy that you'd have fun with and I believe that it'll probably turn out better, or at least have a greater chance of getting finished.

2cents

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:46 AM
We love Cave Story quite a bit and will take a few months doing it we're currently casting and have
Quote, Kazuma, Curly Brace, and Misery

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:47 AM
In front of a computer
Well, it depends in part on whether there is a time limit. If you're doing this for school, for example, you will probably need to do an abridged version. If you're doing it for fun, you could take two years and do the whole thing.

EDIT: WhosTony, read up. You probably missed a post or two.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:48 AM
Celtic Minstrel said:
If you're doing it for fun, you could take two years and do the whole thing.

Exactly what we're doing.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:48 AM
In front of a computer
Celtic Minstrel said:
EDIT: WhosTony, read up. You probably missed a post or two.
I repeat...

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:49 AM
Celtic Minstrel said:
Ah yes, I suppose underwater scenes might be doable with the green-screen especially since they're mostly walking along the bottom... you'd have to make sure to walk slowly as if trying to push through water...

A tiny bit of slowmo will be used if it looks bad we'll redo itand just act slow like you said
thats the post right?

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:52 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
For the core, some serious special effects may be needed. I don't think it would be feasible to have a realistically painted core that can move.

Anyway, a good amount of time and effort should be put into this if you're really just doing it for fun.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:54 AM
carrotlord said:
For the core, some serious special effects may be needed. I don't think it would be feasible to have a realistically painted core that can move.

Anyway, a good amount time and effort should be put into this if you're really just doing it for fun.

Yeah the core will be a truly difficult challenge

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:13 AM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Hey about the core?
I've got experience in 3D animation so i could animate the core for you and you just pretend your in the core room (Black Space)
I can Also do a lot more for you like add Iron head into it and the one thing you need most... Balrog.
Intrested?

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:16 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Man this will be epic! You need adults for doctor/kazuma

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:16 AM
For the core I'm interested but balrog no it would just look really silly no matter how realistic you make his original form
What program(s) do you use?
cultr1 said:
Man this will be epic! You need adults for doctor/kazuma

Yes yes I know we got someone who's 6"4 for the doctor and about the right age

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:17 AM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I use 3Ds MAX For The Models And Textures Then I Use AutoDesk Maya for the animating side of things