Movie Grievances

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:41 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I was disappointed with the movie Fantastic Four, not because it is terrible, but because it could have been so much more.

Personally the movie for the first half was a joyous ride of friendship and scientific discovery. Then cue ridiculous overstated superpowers that stretch the bounds of credibility. Scientific curiosity also drops out the door to be replaced by the usual superhero mantra, which feels incredibly OOC. Not to mention the transformation of Victor's personality was entirely unexplained.

Personally if they threw out the superhero aspects of this film and made something worthwhile out of the first half of that movie it would have been amazing.

Has anyone else had a movie they would have enjoyed except for one thing that ruined it for them?

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:48 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Hannibal, definitely.
Granted, it had a lot to live up to, being a sequel to Silence of the Lambs, but the end product still left me wondering how it could feel so underwhelming.
Some of the visual effects and makeup were really well done (Mason Verger's mutilated face in particular), but the rest felt disjointed without much of the same flow that made its predecessor such a great thiller.
The movie might retain some of the creepy and disturbing tone of the first movie, if not only thanks to Anthony Hopkins, but the rest fell flat on too many areas to live up to Silence of the Lambs or Red Dragon.

Aug 10, 2015 at 3:41 AM
Been here way too long...
andwhyisit said:
Personally if they threw out the superhero aspects of this film and made something worthwhile out of the first half of that movie it would have been amazing.
Okay but it is a superhero movie based on superhero comics. The latter half of the movie is what the comics are about. It sounds like they shouldn't have wasted their time making the first half of the movie good. If you don't want to see superhero nonsense, don't watch superhero nonsense.
I mean, you're allowed, even encouraged, to expect more, but seriously... what did you expect? It's a Fantastic Four reboot.

Aug 10, 2015 at 4:51 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Captain Fabulous said:
Okay but it is a superhero movie based on superhero comics. The latter half of the movie is what the comics are about. It sounds like they shouldn't have wasted their time making the first half of the movie good. If you don't want to see superhero nonsense, don't watch superhero nonsense.
I mean, you're allowed, even encouraged, to expect more, but seriously... what did you expect? It's a Fantastic Four reboot.
I am more pointing out that the superhero part of the superhero movie was mostly below average. The first half, the pre-superhero part of the movie was 10 times more engaging. Plus the pre-superhero part and the superhero part don't seem to mesh too well. The movie builds you up to inevitable disappointment. That's why I say that the premise was entirely wasted on this movie.

Aug 10, 2015 at 5:04 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
superheros are kind of not interesting by nature, though

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:01 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Pixels. The whole thing.

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:59 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
In regards to the Fantastic Four, you can't expect a superhero movie to have decent plot. Most superheroes follow the American Monomyth (aka the "Hero's Journey"). The normal Monomyth is pretty intricate and can be developed on to make marvelous movies such as Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings, etc.

The American Monomyth is: "A community in a harmonious paradise is threatened by evil; normal institutions fail to contend with this threat; a selfless superhero emerges to renounce temptations and carry out the redemptive task; aided by fate, his decisive victory restores the community to its paradisiacal condition; the superhero then recedes into obscurity."

Literally zero room for anything other than, "Look, it's superman! We're saved!".

Anyway, the movies that really, REALLY, REALLY disappointed me were the Percy Jackson films. They were god-awful. I mean really.

Aug 12, 2015 at 1:23 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
The Last Airbender Movie was awful.
The tv show was good though along with The Sequel.

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:44 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Camero said:
The Last Airbender Movie was awful.
The tv show was good though along with The Sequel.
What movie? There is no ATLA movie.

Not in Ba Sing Se.

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:16 AM
Veteran Member
There is a movie of it. Look it up.

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:37 AM
Been here way too long...
it's an epic joke where you pretend The Last Airbender doesn't exist because it's bad

Aug 13, 2015 at 4:03 AM
Banned
Apparently that wasn't even shamalamadingdong's fault? Like he actually cared about ATLA, and kind of got screwed over when he was working on it.

Aug 13, 2015 at 4:08 AM
War criminal
Wasn't it the same case with After Earth? But it was all Will Smith's idea?

Aug 13, 2015 at 5:09 AM
Veteran Member
stdddfffff.jpg

#DoubleMeaning