Move Cave Editor to Defunct Tools

What should be done with Cave Editer

• Total voters
Dec 22, 2015 at 6:24 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Because literally the only thing BL doesn't have that CS does is the sprite display of Faces and items/weapons.
CE-sux_zpsd4mafrvs.png

Like what?
Haxinator?
Weapon hacking?
Map adding? *coughblackbackgroundscough*

Ever since 3.5.1 BL has been at equal to CE and 4.1.4 has surpassed it by a very decent amount.

Every computer nowadays has java on it so why is this outdated piece of crap still floating around? I mean no offence to Wistil and what he's done but CE has more then served it purpose.

CE just doesn't make any sense, BL has a better interface, more options and even pre made ASM hacks.

Guys, it's time to give CE a proper burial and leave it to rest in peace, it can't keep up to date with other things and when that that Super Duper Engine Rehaul™ comes out that won't be compatible with either editor guess what one's gonna be updated to stay in the race?

(The above paragraph was completely in theory but I'm sure you all get what I mean.)

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:26 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Sorry, but I am going to have to disagree. CE is not nearly on the same level of defunct-ness as SW was (because SW is a broken mess from what I understand of it), and I still think that Cave Editor is better than Booster's Lab (well... at least in terms of the interface).

So no, I would not agree to move Cave Editor to the defunct tools section. I would, however, very much advocate an overhaul of Cave Editor's description on that page. It is rather misleading and should point out that Booster's Lab has more features and is the preferred editor.

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:59 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Believe it or not, I did like CE at first (and I used it instead of BL for about 6 months)
I tried BL but didn't like it that much because I was already comfortable with CE, but after about 2 weeks of BL I started to like it more and became adjusted to where everything was and liked it more after that.
I know what nostalgia blindness is, but to survive, one must adapt.

I'm not going to attack you on liking the boring interface and all, but I think it's unanimous that CE's description should be changed to praise BL for it's superiority and active support and development.

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:53 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
What you're saying seems to imply that I never bothered making a full switch to BL and insisted on using CE for all of my mods just because I was used to it. Not at all true. I've used BL for far longer than two weeks and I probably have a very similar amount of time spent in both editors. I am certainly not nostalgia blind. I just straight up enjoy using CE more despite its shortcomings.

And yeah, that second part is exactly what I'm getting at. But it can't be unanimous if nobody else has posted in the thread yet.

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:10 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I might be a little simple here, but doesn't the defunct subpage fit more for things that are more or less for things that either really have no use anymore or do something unwanted to Cave Story(like Sue's Workshop).
Saying CE is worthless due to BL existing is a little uncompetetive, as it's like saying two things shouldn't be the same.
Kinda like comparing two supermarkets of the same caliber.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:43 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
What you're saying seems to imply that I never bothered making a full switch to BL and insisted on using CE for all of my mods just because I was used to it. Not at all true. I've used BL for far longer than two weeks and I probably have a very similar amount of time spent in both editors. I am certainly not nostalgia blind. I just straight up enjoy using CE more despite its shortcomings.

And yeah, that second part is exactly what I'm getting at. But it can't be unanimous if nobody else has posted in the thread yet.

I wasn't trying to directly attack you, but I just can't comprehend the "why".
idrk

I added a poll so those who don't want to put words out there can just vote.

@Miccs
When one of them has everything the other does and a lot more I can't comprehend why you would think that.
Should everyone want something that's better? It's not like CE is some retro system with great games, it's just a different interface with less features.

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:47 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
That different interface may be more appealing to some, however, and it stacks up well enough with BL despite its age and lack of continued support. It is nowhere near the level of SW, and it even plays nicely with its main competitor.

Since it isn't defunct, moving it to that section simply strikes me as unnecessary, for the moment!

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:06 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Just because a better tool has come along doesn't mean the old tool is necessarily defunct. Cave Editor is by no means defunct. Sue's Workshop and all the other tools in the defunct tools section are either useless, incomplete, or have major issues that make it unwise to use them. Cave Editor has no such characteristics. Just because BL is now the better and more popular editor doesn't mean you should deprecate its predecessor and condemn everyone who still uses it. I think your proposal is a little bit overzealous.

That being said, I agree that it would be apt to edit the description of Cave Editor to reflect the shift in quality and popularity of the editors.

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:13 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
It's not defunct (for the most part). It's just not relevant anymore. And what is this "Super Duper Engine Rehaul"?

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:23 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
It's not defunct (for the most part). It's just not relevant anymore. And what is this "Super Duper Engine Rehaul"?
Cs Wii

Anyway basically what everyone's already said, Ce has its niche and its still a perfectly valid editor. The feature gap has maybe closed a bit since that went up, idk.

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:46 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Any idea what the new CE description should be?

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:55 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Perhaps something like this. Change the first line to "No longer actively updated, but it still holds up well when compared to Booster's Lab.", and keep the second line the same. That describes their relationship competently, I hope!

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:04 AM
Based Member
Any idea what the new CE description should be?
Perhaps something like:
"Has fewer features and a less appealing interface than Booster's Lab, but is still functional and stable. Both editors are compatible with each other so it's down to personal preference as to which interface you prefer."

I think it goes without saying that Cave Editor is no longer actively updated, because in BL's description, it specifically states that it's still being updated.