Morality and video games

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:29 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Game morality for me is based on whatever I feel at the time. If I don't feel like someone is real then what issue should I have if something happens to them? I can't see stuff like that in games as anything but animations and sprites and code unless the game REALLY tries to make me feel otherwise. I get that murdering a buncha people is bad within the context of the game world, and by that regard I can say "man this guy is a dick" but overall I've never lost sleep over any of it. If anything being forced to do something that doesn't fit within my own moral code is a really interesting experience. I get to see what the consequences are if there are any and consider what that says about the character I play as.

Jan 27, 2014 at 5:41 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I believe there was this super old sci-fi game where you met up with this space babe and she'd ask you to bang her. No matter which option you picked, she'd course you into the inevitable and you two would end up in bed together. That would piss me off.

There's also of course the game Harvester, which is 'quite' something based around these kind of decisions. I don't think i'd be able to finish that...

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:36 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
The recent Fallout games let you do some ridiculous stuff, I think you can kill a character and become wanted by the locals or ruin quests you could have accepted otherwise. And then there's notorious town of Megaton, where you have the option to rig a bomb to level the place in exchange for pay.

On the flip side there's games like Sim City or even The Sims where there's so little immersion that you could either play seriously or just screw with everything on purpose. Or activate the cheat menu and spawn a tornado or a flood or Godzilla.
:chin:

Jan 28, 2014 at 2:07 AM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Theres this one part in King's Story that makes me uneasy...

The part where EVERYONE IS FREAKING DYING WITH BLOOD EVERYWHERE.
After that, the part where you look in this one house that 2 kids that Toroko played with, King looks in and says "Ugh, I think I'm going to be sick"

It puts an image in my head that makes me... yeah.

Feb 3, 2014 at 2:13 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
That's kind of the point, it's used to convey a dystopian shift and a lot of sorrow
Stuff like that I appreciate - to an extent, of course - but killing for the sake of killing is dumb and not good

Feb 3, 2014 at 3:56 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Hey, Doors has the right to say what he thinks.
And Amamichi does have some...strange morality issues but I'm sure those were for 'entertainment' purposes more than actual decisions made judging upon the player's actions.
(Seriously, without killing at least one person, nothing interesting ever happens in it)
In all seriousness, morality should test a player's morality and mentality, by rewarding them upon making 'right' decisions.

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:21 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Nadojin said:
Hey, Doors has the right to say what he thinks.
And Amamichi does have some...strange morality issues but I'm sure those were for 'entertainment' purposes more than actual decisions made judging upon the player's actions.
(Seriously, without killing at least one person, nothing interesting ever happens in it)
His plan for the mod begged to differ
In all seriousness, morality should test a player's morality and mentality, by rewarding them upon making 'right' decisions.
See above

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:49 AM
Professional Whatever
The mod was meant to use the deaths to create a big but obvious plot device involving the main character portrayed as a demonic being taken over by the remnant power of the red crystal, split apart and hidden for 200 years. The crystal parts affected powerful beings within the world of Amamichi, including the main character, and usually gave them a bloodlust and malicious intent. The plot of the mod involved either 1) being permanently taken down by ~dunc to preserve the peace, or 2) having the crystal power removed from the main character to restore their innocence and morality.