Moon Hunters, a Myth-Weaving RPG (another Kickstarter thing)

Sep 3, 2014 at 2:53 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
While we're speaking about Kickstarter, I'd like to show you guys Moon Hunters, a real cool looking new RPG. Within a couple days it had blown away its original goal of $45,000 CAD, and with the way it's going it's looking like it'll easily go through some more stretch goals, most notable of which is the next one, online multiplayer support. In fact here have a nice little chart from that thing that gives projections for Kickstarter projects.
p187765-0-dailychart.png

The game looks fantastic and instead of reading me talking about it you should just watch the video, which is on the project page. I think I'm gonna get the 4-pack to play with some friends; what do you guys think you might get?
Oh also my brother did the video for the project so that's pretty cool.

Sep 3, 2014 at 4:18 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Man the first 70 seconds of that promo video was beautiful but then at that point the creators decide to record themselves talking and ugh I am turned off immediately. I don't know why this is becoming a trend on kickstarter, for the main promovid to feature the devs talking about the game, but it's not a good one. At least the first minute showed gameplay though.

Sep 3, 2014 at 4:28 AM
Professional Whatever
So you don't want to support the game because
The devs talked???

Sep 3, 2014 at 4:29 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
What's wrong with talking about the game???
Like I understand the aversion to them looking at the camera just talking (approximately 47 seconds of that in the 4 minute video) but why can't they tell you about the game through speech, you know that thing that's used for sharing information and all?

Sep 3, 2014 at 5:07 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Dunc2403 said:
Like I understand the aversion to them looking at the camera just talking (approximately 47 seconds of that in the 4 minute video) but why can't they tell you about the game through speech, you know that thing that's used for sharing information and all?
I'm interested in the game, not in what the developers have to say (or what the developers sound like/look like). If you want to tell me something about the game in more detail then you should either *show* it or write it down below, since that's what that space is for. Sort of the classic "show, don't tell" approach.

I would be less bothered by it personally if this wasn't becoming an annoying trend in kickstarters to be like "Hi, I'm X, and I'm making Y". I don't care who you are (yet, maybe I will once I learn about the game) I just want to know about the game. It's become increasingly popular among kickstarters who have little content to actually show, so it turns me off.

Sep 3, 2014 at 7:32 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
For video games especially, I find myself skipping through the parts in the videos where people are talking. Don't get me wrong; there's nothing really wrong about talking and showing the development stage in the video. It's the most direct approach; it (often) tells exactly what they need the money for and their plans to use it as well as the process itself. That being said, the same things can also be shown on the Kickstarter page, not included in the video. Since the video is displayed at the top of the page, it's usually more enticing to watch a preview of the game/gameplay and find out about the developers a little further down.

Such is the case for video games, but I've seen the whole "creators talking on their videos" process working a lot better with non-video game projects. Maybe it's because I haven't watched enough Kickstarter videos yet.

Sep 3, 2014 at 8:39 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Dunc and I have conversed on the issue civilly but I want to support Gir by saying I completely agree with him.

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:57 AM
Professional Whatever
That may be a case but it's not fair to judge your decision on whether or not to support the game by the fact that they put in something that is completely commonplace in their video

Sep 3, 2014 at 5:30 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Doors said:
That may be a case but it's not fair to judge your decision on whether or not to support the game by the fact that they put in something that is completely commonplace in their video
It is entirely fair to judge my decision on whether or not to support their campaign by how they market their game. How they market their game is indicative of their process of presentation, so if the marketing has a poor presentation then that could lead one to believe that their game might as well.

Also I never said that I was solely basing my "decision" on that, but that having that in the video turned me off from wanting to say "yes". At the end it's not the sole reason I'll decide to support it or not.

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:12 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I remember this game when it was first on the Square Enix Collective a while back and I'm pretty glad that they're having such a successful kickstarter.

Reminds me that I still have to play Shattered Planet since it seems right up my ally

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:18 AM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
Sound like an awesome game. Hope they actually finish it, though. And that they dont lazy out and quickly finish it.