Monster X is nothing - Find out how with these easy steps

Aug 12, 2020 at 5:46 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I see that a lot of people have trouble with Monster X even though I never remember finding the boss that difficult. For reference, I'm capable of going through Cave Story up to the entrance to hell without dying. To accomplish this feat I must surely have come across a good strategy for Monster X at sheer random.

Here are the keys:
  • Monster X changes direction a set amount of times (three if I remember right?) before stopping to fire missiles. I purposely run with it end-to-end across the entire arena so it takes as much time as possible between firings. This gives you more time (and room) to clear out the missiles so you can focus on attacking during the next volley.
  • Getting the Bubbler at level 3 puts the boss on Easy Mode. The bubble cloud helps protect you from missiles and makes it simple to hit more than one of X's targets at once.
  • ?
  • YOU WON !

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:59 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Oh hey Jazz, haven't seen you around in a long time. Thanks for the tips on defeating Monster X. Hope this helps people who are struggling.

Aug 13, 2020 at 3:56 AM
"Huzzah!"
I feel like this is directed towards people who have tried Hard Mode and failed, since honestly I never really had a problem with the boss in any other circumstance
or maybe im just that good

Sep 28, 2020 at 1:06 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
late respons

I always did like the Bubbler for that fight. These days for the first form I prefer the Blade or something more damaging to take care of it quickly, but for the second form it definitely does a good job dealing with the fish missiles (which still annoy me). The only problem is losing level 3 as soon as one does manage to get through :koron:

Sep 28, 2020 at 9:07 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Level 1/2 Blade makes this fight a joke, though using that method makes the hard part avoiding the exp drops from the projectiles and enemies

Oct 6, 2020 at 8:49 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
i always use the level 1 blade. just spam as fast as possible, but the bubbler works great as you said

Oct 25, 2020 at 6:35 PM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
i like the BLADE!!! :chin: :balrog::sue::sue::sue::sue::sue:

Nov 5, 2020 at 3:58 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
This helps a ton, I was taught to mash level 2 blade in it's face until it died.

Nov 7, 2020 at 5:45 AM
Oh hey Jazz, haven't seen you around in a long time. Thanks for the tips on defeating Monster X. Hope this helps people who are struggling.
A pleasure to help as best I can.

Speaking of the Blade, I'm a lv3 apologist and should go see if that form is useful here.

Nov 7, 2020 at 5:40 PM
Based Member
Yeah, I've always found the level 3 blade to be useful when fighting Monster X. The challenge there is to not get hit and level down. But then again, if you know what you're doing, the level 2 blade can be a very useful tool in getting rid of those shooter things.

Nov 7, 2020 at 8:16 PM
The answer may surprise you.
Yeah, I've always found the level 3 blade to be useful when fighting Monster X. The challenge there is to not get hit and level down. But then again, if you know what you're doing, the level 2 blade can be a very useful tool in getting rid of those shooter things.
Awesome. So, the much-maligned Sword lv3 has had a hidden value all along in fighting the much-feared Monster X. And you get the Blade just before the Labyrinth, too... now my mind is blown.

A shame it's so clumsy for other purposes.

Nov 16, 2020 at 7:50 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Personally I think the opposite to be true. The level 1 and 2 blade allow for more precise aim and higher DPS, making it a really good candidate for both stages of the Monster X bossfight because you only have a limited amount of time to damage it. The level 3 blade is helpful because it has a very wide range and duration at the cost of attack speed and precision, which can be useful for shielding you from projectiles while attacking Monster X itself. I think level 2 blade is definitely the way to go for this boss fight, and lots of practice staying on the wheels and avoiding the fishies and purple things. Kill as many Gaudi as possible before passing the starting trigger.

Nov 17, 2020 at 12:50 AM
Based Member
The level 1 and 2 blade allow for more precise aim and higher DPS, making it a really good candidate for both stages of the Monster X bossfight because you only have a limited amount of time to damage it. The level 3 blade is helpful because it has a very wide range and duration at the cost of attack speed and precision, which can be useful for shielding you from projectiles while attacking Monster X itself. I think level 2 blade is definitely the way to go for this boss fight, and lots of practice staying on the wheels and avoiding the fishies and purple things. Kill as many Gaudi as possible before passing the starting trigger.
Yeah, that's pretty much my position as well, not sure why you believe this is the opposite of the opinion that I just expressed. I was mostly advocating for the lvl 3 blade as an option for a beginner who hasn't yet mastered using the lvl 2 blade at its full potential.

Nov 23, 2020 at 6:32 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I tried using Bubbler. It didn't go well since the bubbles vanish once they hit the main body, which leaves you open to everything else coming at you

Sword lv3 at least has an AoE to destroy the projectiles and damage the main body

Failing that, unleash missiles into the main body then use the time between to restock on health and ammo from the projectiles

It's such a miserable fight and usually ends my boss rush - either that or the mushroom

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:15 AM
"Huzzah!"
I use level 2 for speed purposes.
I don't really use the level 3 for much of anything (however I guess thats the strat to beat 3HP Ballos so...)

What you said about missiles...I don't think the missile launcher is very good in this fight.
More often than not the missiles get canceled by the projectiles, so if there were a time to use it, it'd be when its open for damage (and I still think its faster to just spam the blade whether it be lvl 1 or 2.)
I feel like Sandzone - Egg Corridor? the missile launcher is a pretty useless weapon.