Momodora

May 11, 2016 at 5:45 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So has anyone else played this series? The creator cites Cave Story as an inspiration. Since the first two games were free, I gave them a play. Didn't care for the first, but it left me curious as to just how they managed to have enough fan interest to make 4 of these. Momodora 2 proved to be a massive improvement, and was a joy to play. Momodora 3 was fun, but too short, and I just recently finished Reverie Under the Moonlight, the 4th entry in the series, and enjoyed it beginning to end.

If you're looking into trying the series out, I'd highly recommend Momodora 2 as a jumping on point, as it features a new protagonist, and a new gameplay style, while firmly establishing the series own identity.

May 11, 2016 at 5:52 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
i swear we had a thread for this already

but yes PLAY MOMODORA (especially reverie under the moonlight) ITS GREAT AND ITS FILLED WITH WIAFUS

May 11, 2016 at 6:02 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
May 11, 2016 at 6:56 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Momodora 3 was terrible, and I haven't really felt like picking up the 4th because of it.

Like I'm maybe 66% of the way done 3, but I have no interest to continue the game. It's just boring, there's no driving force (or plot??). Combined with its linearity it kills the game for me.

I liked Momodora 2 though. And Momodora 1 was okay.

Momodora 3 is like someone made all the assets for a game and then just put it together without any attention to story or design.

May 11, 2016 at 7:39 AM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Momodora 3 was terrible, and I haven't really felt like picking up the 4th because of it.

Like I'm maybe 66% of the way done 3, but I have no interest to continue the game. It's just boring, there's no driving force (or plot??). Combined with its linearity it kills the game for me.

I liked Momodora 2 though. And Momodora 1 was okay.

Momodora 3 is like someone made all the assets for a game and then just put it together without any attention to story or design.

absolutely agreed. Momodora 3 was a stale, empty, yet beautiful looking husk of a game. Seems like they just rushed that thing out with not much in mind to keep things steamrolling along. Momodora 1 wasn't bad, it had it's challenges and it played fine, there wasn't much to complain about since it's the first and there's not much to contrast or compare with. Definitely felt like cavestory though, which is great. Barely touched Momodora 2 but by the looks of it, it added alot more and had some cool new shit.

However the fourth one has some noticeable changes and I'm a little interested in playing it, not buying it though. Combat looks alot more fluid and the characters are sized up for once. Looks pretty mellow and depressing judging by screenshots and the trailer.. Who knows. Looking forward to trying it someday.

It's one of those really good looking games with some slight mediocre yet tolerable gameplay I guess.

May 11, 2016 at 9:25 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I haven't really felt like picking up the 4th
But in the 4th you get to play as a cat.
A cat.
A maple-leaf wielding, tail-swishing cat.
There's no way you can't play it now.

May 11, 2016 at 3:17 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I agree that Momodora 3 was far too linear, but Reverie is more like Momodora 2, only over a larger and more detailed area. I did like that Momodora 3 let you play as Momo or Isadora though. It was a bit of a letdown that they played the same way (both like a simplified version of Momo from 2). I think it would have been far more interesting if Momo played like Momodora 2, and her items focused on giving her the powerups from Momodora 2, making her gameplay centered around ever growing manoeuvrability, while Dora played like Momodora 1, being long range focused, and picking up a variety of guns to increase her arsenal. I did at least like the increased focus on boss battles, something that Reverie has even more of.

Reverie really knocked it out of the park though. Koho has a great balance of both of melee and long ranged combat abilities, and her bow is far more fun to use than the old throwing seals were. Personally I recommend moving dash and shoot to shoulder buttons, since you can actually do a leaf attack while charging your bow (similar to the Megaman Zero series). Dash on L, and bow on R make for a powerful combination. I'd really like to see another game like reverie, maybe revisiting Momo and Dora again, but with a greater difference between their play styles.

May 20, 2016 at 1:07 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I haven't seen 4 anywhere on Steam yet. I honestly found 3 enjoyable despite its barren plot.