Modding tools for mac?

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:44 AM
Pirate Member
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Well, the thing is that my crossover and my wine keeps crashing so i wanted to know if there where some mac modding tools?
Thanks fellow Cave Story Fans.

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:49 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
There are none, sadly. We only recently discovered that mods on mac was a feasible concept recently!
If you want to mod, you're going to have to stick with the PC version of Cave Story, using PC Modding tools, I'm afraid ):

Edit: Now that I have your attention, I would like to put out a shameless plug for my best friend, the search function in the top right. A simple search for your planned topic could easily spare you pages of rage regarding the redundant thread you would have created.

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:00 AM
Based Member
cultr1 said:
There are none, sadly. We only recently discovered that mods on mac was a feasible concept recently!
If you want to mod, you're going to have to stick with the PC version of Cave Story, using PC Modding tools, I'm afraid ):
Uh, sorry if I need to work on my reading comprehension or something, but I'm wanting to say Noxid said that Booster's Lab is Mac-compatible.

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:12 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
HaydenStudios said:
Uh, sorry if I need to work on my reading comprehension or something, but I'm wanting to say Noxid said that Booster's Lab is Mac-compatible.
It sort of is, but there are certain caveats. One of them being that I haven't tested it like at all, and the second being that it should *run* on a mac, but I haven't really figured out how edit the mac version of CS, so you'll need a copy of the PC game to edit. From there you can copy the stage files to the version on your mac, but if you change mapdata it won't transfer without some black magic.

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:20 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
The mapdata for Mac is stored in two different locations in the mac executable both with slightly different layouts for each.
ORG files are in a separate folder rather than embedded in the exe, same for credit art.
Most non-windows ports will not read 24-bit bitmaps or pbms. 8-bit is the max.
I believe the PSP platform works with or without (C)Pixel by default but there is no bmp hack.
The (C)Pixel and bmp hack can be found here: http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/2498/
You are limited to 94 maps.
Platforms like psp, linux and possibly gp2x are case sensitive and there is an instance where the Lounge map is written as "lounge" in the PC version's mapdata, so that map's related files cannot be loaded on case sensitive systems.
You need to edit both Info.plist files when porting to mac to change the name of your mod's save file, else it will use the same file as your regular cave story, which can cause problems.

Have I missed anything?

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Modding on Mac is actually quite feasible now.

Booster's Lab is written in Java. It works on Mac. I tried Booster's Lab on Linux and I was able to make a simple Cave Story mod on Ubuntu.

The Java Doukutsu Assembler, the hex assembly patcher, and the Python Doukutsu Assembler also work on Macs and Linux machines, if you want to be hardcore and attempt to edit the Mac and Linux Cave Story executables (NO "real" documentation for Mac/Linux exists, except for a few Mac offsets). You will need a Macintosh hex editor, because I have no idea if there exists a Macintosh program that essentially does the same thing as OllyDbg (Windows-only debugger program).

However, tools like the Save Editor will not work on Macs, because the Mac saves are a different format (why???). The Physics Editor will not work on a Mac, because it's hard coded to modify certain values at certain offsets. Unless you write a plugin in the Mint Programming Language and insert it into the Physics Editor, which will (supposedly?) allow it to work on a Macintosh.

EDIT: You can definitely edit TSC on a Mac too. Celticminstrel and I both wrote two separate TSC translators for the Mac. Of course, I am a total moron and didn't realize that Celticminstrel already wrote the entire program before I started working on another copy. Both translators are written in the Python Programming Language. Somebody else (see the Tribute Site downloads page) also refactored my code so it runs far more efficiently than what I originally wrote.

Macs come with Python installed. If you think your Python version is too old, attempt to Google "Jython", which is Python written in Java. It just runs a JAR file on the Java Virtual Machine (aka the JVM).

Even better, Noxid has created a free and open source TSC editor for the Mac, written in Java. In other words, because it is possible to run every existing Mac modding program on top of some kind of Java installation, we would be screwed if the JVM did not exist.

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Pirate Member
Thanks everyone for help, now i figured out how to!

Hey Noxid, could you please tell me how your thingy works? :orangebell:

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:46 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
breifly, I'd advise looking here for the basics, and consulting the in-editor help files. Anything beyond that should either be obvious enough or too much for me to explain offhand.

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:27 AM
Pirate Member

Okay, now i want to be more direct, could you fellows give me information and links about Cave Story Modding tools like Booster Lab that work with Mac?

<Edit= I want Modding tools, not mods.>

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:41 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
booster's lab isn't a mod.
it's a modding tool
like the title says

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:43 AM
Pirate Member
That is what i want, a modding tool.

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:52 AM
Based Member
Jan 19, 2013 at 2:59 AM
Pirate Member
Are those .jar, .app or .apk?

None of them are compatible with Mac! Read the tittle before commenting dude!

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:18 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
actually the first one is a .jar yes
perhaps you should have investigated before jumping

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:21 AM
Pirate Member
I jumped in knowing

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:21 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
that is deeply troubling

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:23 AM
Pirate Member
Sorry for my bad english, what is troubling?

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:58 AM
Professional Whatever
You are

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator