Modding Section Rules [Updated]

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:25 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Before posting a hack/mod... (Rules!)

1) In order to make a thread for your mod, it must contain either a link to a demo or at least two screenshots showing what has been changed.
2) Posts regarding how to edit the game are to go in General Discussion.
3) Do not expect others to do large amounts of work for you, such as art, music or writing. (This includes trying to start "community projects".) The best way to get such help is to make a mod that others are interested in!

Feel free to ask questions here if you want something clarified. -DT

Old rules:
These Rules apply to the Cave Story Mod/Hack Showcase section.

1. Make sure you have a demo or a full version.
2. Don't ask hacking/modding questions in the mod section, a mod thread is for discussion about a mod.
3. Mods/Hacks without a demo or full version belong to the Mod/Hack Idea and Development section.
4. A mod thread belongs to the Cave Story Mod/Hack Showcase if it has a demo or a full version, even if it is only a development thread.
5. Community projects will be posted in the Cave Story Mod/Hack Showcase section.

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:30 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Understood, I'm new here, so I'm a little clueless on how posting mods work.
Thanks for clearing this up.

Feb 23, 2008 at 10:38 PM
Hoxtilicious
No problem, I really needed to post this somewhere, it's a damn old thing ;)

Feb 23, 2008 at 11:53 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
S. P. Gardebiter said:
1. Atleast make sure you have 1 screenshot.
2. Don't ask hacking/modding questions in the mod section, a mod thread is for discussion about a mod.
3. It's better to have a demo before posting a mod thread, since we have too many "not even released" mods.

most of us know that, but yeah its good you posted it so new people can know.

LOOK: sp you reached 2000 posts ;)

Feb 25, 2008 at 6:25 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
4. If the mod dies, get the thread locked/deleted.

Ps. S.P., would you mind locking the one entitled: "Mod - Unamed - Assistance... I think.. Yes..."

Feb 25, 2008 at 6:39 PM
Hoxtilicious
You don't have to lock the thread. It's your own right to request a lock if you're the author, but it's not a rule. Because locking every old thread would make me an ass :p

Feb 25, 2008 at 6:43 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
S. P. Gardebiter said:
You don't have to lock the thread. It's your own right to request a lock if you're the author, but it's not a rule. Because locking every old thread would make me an ass :p
I guess.
But, if it's dead, it probably won't come back.

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:49 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
DragonBoots said:
I guess.
But, if it's dead, it probably won't come back.
A mod tread is not just for mod development, but also for discussion about a mod. Jenka's Nightmare is obviously dead yet people still post there.

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:54 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
JacobX891 said:
You just replied to something 11 months in the past.

Congratulations, you're a goddamn time-traveler.
Dammit! I wanted dimensional travel! :rolleyes:

I was going to reply to that one 11 months ago but I forgot.

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:38 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
andwhyisit said:
Dammit! I wanted dimensional travel! :rolleyes:

I was going to reply to that one 11 months ago but I forgot.

So it took you 11 months to remember...? Omg I thought I was bad enough... o.o;;

May 19, 2009 at 8:45 PM
Hoxtilicious
PM the admins or search threads for asking questions.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:35 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Hmm

Shouldn't we include credits, too?
No one's made a mod solely by themselves, and I haven't seen a single mod completely finished {Besides speed or boss runs, which aren't really that great or hard to make...}; so it makes sense to put in credits for the people who've helped you...
Because, there is always the chance that the mod will die, and you'll never have had put the credits in, and those people will never get recognition..

Plus, it's a lot better than ending your parts with a blank screen, eh?

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:00 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
VoidMage_Lowell said:
Shouldn't we include credits, too?
No one's made a mod solely by themselves, and I haven't seen a single mod completely finished {Besides speed or boss runs, which aren't really that great or hard to make...}; so it makes sense to put in credits for the people who've helped you...
Because, there is always the chance that the mod will die, and you'll never have had put the credits in, and those people will never get recognition..

Plus, it's a lot better than ending your parts with a blank screen, eh?

Nu-uh! Blank screen ending FTW!!

Plus, it's alot of effort to make credits (well, I suppose that is debatable, don't consider it an invite to debate it however) and explain the logic behind no-one's made a mod completely by themselves. And if the mod dies, is there a point in being recognized in what's dead?

Also, many people who are first posting mods may not have yet dabbled with the credits, and don't know how. Or they could be like me, and want to save it for the end, so that it's a sign that the mod is complete. Plus I want to make custom pics for mine in the end, like the illustrations pixel had for his. Mine might more or less be random screenies though.

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:21 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Gladly.

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Nu-uh! Blank screen ending FTW!!
Yeah, sure, haha...
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Plus, it's alot of effort to make credits (well, I suppose that is debatable, don't consider it an invite to debate it however) and explain the logic behind no-one's made a mod completely by themselves. And if the mod dies, is there a point in being recognized in what's dead?
Ok. The logic behind the idea that no one has made a mod by themselves is simple:
Who here somehow got ahold of a Cave Story editor, made a decent mod, all without getting on these forums and looking at any threads, whatsoever.
What I'm trying to say, is, that this whole forum deserves credit, at the very least.
Where did people learn how to edit .PBMS?
Where did people learn to use TSC commands?
Where did people even find the editor?
Plus, what about all of the valuable replies from people who play your mod?
Not kidding, either.

And, yes, I think there's a reason to recognize something that's dead.
We have Cemeteries, yeah?
Pun aside, I just like giving credit where credit's due...
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Also, many people who are first posting mods may not have yet dabbled with the credits, and don't know how. Or they could be like me, and want to save it for the end, so that it's a sign that the mod is complete. Plus I want to make custom pics for mine in the end, like the illustrations pixel had for his. Mine might more or less be random screenies though.
I wanted to do the same thing to, but there were several reasons I made the credits on the first release of my mod:
~It's kinda hard, and now I've got it pre-set for any additions, animations or pictures or text...
~I both hate mods that end with just a "The End" or a blank screen
~It helps for when you've got original characters/enemies. You've got a place to name them and give possibly better background detail, instead of cluttering your thread and/or having people ask you for it...
~You can also take changing the credits as a sign of completing another well-done release...
~I got a lot of great help from the forums itself and from various people, and I like giving credit where it's deserved...
Of course, some of those might be opinions, but those are the reasons I add my credits prematurely..

Also, who really knows how to work the credits...?
{All I could manage was Text and Sprites, Music, and a picture, which was a Cave Story Original. Adding a picture to the credit's is hard, by the way. It's gotta use the same colour scheme as the one it's replacing, and has to be the same size. Not sure if that means it has to be made of somewhat big pixels, or if the pictures were just stretched..}
With everyone making their own credits, it should be easier to find bugs/issues and solve them..

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:30 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
VoidMage_Lowell said:
Yeah, sure, haha...

Ok. The logic behind the idea that no one has made a mod by themselves is simple:
Who here somehow got ahold of a Cave Story editor, made a decent mod, all without getting on these forums and looking at any threads, whatsoever.
What I'm trying to say, is, that this whole forum deserves credit, at the very least.
Where did people learn how to edit .PBMS?
Where did people learn to use TSC commands?
Where did people even find the editor?
Plus, what about all of the valuable replies from people who play your mod?
Not kidding, either.

Alright, this is the part I wanted to address.

People learn many things as they live. You learn to write. You learn to read. You learn math. You learn to play sports. etc etc....
But you have to learn these things from someone. However, if you become rich and famous for any reason, do you have to give credit to the people who taught you these skills? The answer is no, you are not obligated to do so. The point of these forums (hacking/modding and mods) is to give people advice, with no strings attached. We just want to help modders, and share what we've created (or discuss cavestory, but right now I'm talking about the mods section in specific). The point is one does not have to thank the forum community for their help with the mod. Sure, it would be nice. But enforcing such a rule kinda strips the kindness from the credit. This of course is different if it is an org, or a graphic, which can be copyrighted.

Of course no one would be able to mod without these forums, but that doesn't mean we should enforce a mandatory credits listing.

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:44 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Hmm..

Yeah...guess it shouldn't be enforced...
....Maybe I just like the credits.....
.....Or I hate blank screens even more...
*Shrugs*
....I really don't know why.....
But yeah, you're right.

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:43 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Jul 10, 2009 at 1:46 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
*Shrug*

I typically hit the Print Screen button on my keyboard, and then paste everything in a .BMP
There might be other ways, but that's what I do :D
{Print Screen copies EVERYTHING on your screen, so having Cave Story in full screen would be best}

Jul 10, 2009 at 11:52 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
VoidMage_Lowell said:
I typically hit the Print Screen button on my keyboard, and then paste everything in a .BMP
There might be other ways, but that's what I do :D
{Print Screen copies EVERYTHING on your screen, so having Cave Story in full screen would be best}

Alt + PrntSc's copies whatever's on the ACTIVE WINDOW and NOT the whole screen.

It's more convenient ;)

Not so sure about using just the PrntSc button alone though. Never tried doing that...

*tries*

Edit -

Just using the PrntSc button alone will copy everything onscreen, but Alt + PrntSc will only copy the things within the active window.