Modding for Mac?

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:16 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
I'd really like to try out some of the mods and maybe even create my own (someday), but there's a rather major obstacle. As far as I can make out, all the mods and modding tools are Windows only, whereas I usually use a Mac.

First of all: does anyone have any idea how to convert a mod to work on the Mac? I tried replacing the data folder in the unmodified version, but it didn't work – I guess the mods also alter the executable or something.

IF the answer to that question is "yes" would anyone be willing to do it? Or explain to me how to do it?

The other question, which I'm not too hopeful about is: are there any modding tools for the Mac that are hidden away somewhere? Any plans for such tools? Some source code (in C/C++, preferably) which could be ported?

It's really a little disappointing to find that I can't even play any of the mods. Some of them sound (and look, from screenshots) quite interesting.

Thanks in advance for any help with this dilemma.

Mar 1, 2008 at 1:08 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Most mods do use changes to the executable and there are no tools for the Mac versions. Your best bet is to wait for Agoras Legends project to finish, until then it is Windows-only for mods. :p

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:00 PM
Hoxtilicious
If you would have read the sickies, you would have known that posting in the mod section is only for single mods, or specific mods, your question is a hacking question.

~ Moved ~

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:36 PM
In front of a computer
Sorry, and thanks for moving it.

So, what's this Agoras Legends thing, and is there more about it somewhere?

Mar 1, 2008 at 8:15 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Lol SP 'sickies'!
Ahem, Agora's Legends is a beta right now of porting the CS script to Lua for easy developing, porting and even online play.

Mar 1, 2008 at 10:09 PM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
It's possible to hack Cave Story's mac port, it uses the same map structure and whatnot, it's only the internal EXE information (map titles, and tilesets used) that can't be accessed via a program yet. I suppose if Sue's Workshop's source was released, someone (like myself) could port it to a mac interface. That would work better for me as well, because I use a mac, and have to emulate windows to make my mod.

Mar 1, 2008 at 11:07 PM
In front of a computer
So... is the person who made Sue's Workshop around somewhere?

Mar 1, 2008 at 11:25 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Not anymore, it's very sad.

Mar 2, 2008 at 4:22 PM
In front of a computer
Mar 2, 2008 at 4:54 PM
Hoxtilicious
Celtic Minstrel said:
And what about this one?

Dead.

If you find offsets you could hack it yourself b.t.w. :confused:

Mar 2, 2008 at 6:36 PM
In front of a computer
Yeah... so much work. I do have a hex editor, but I wouldn't know how to start looking for offsets.

Mar 2, 2008 at 7:16 PM
Hoxtilicious
First off try to find some easy things, download windows versions and search for some hardcode like the exe version, map names and so on. Maybe you could find some TSC or PXM files or something in the exe too.

Mar 2, 2008 at 7:23 PM
In front of a computer
I've already located the TSC files and such – they are in the data folder within the application package (on the Mac, an application is actually a folder in disguise). And the profile.dat is a key in the preferences plist. It's just the actually executable file that could be difficult. The map names are stored in the executable? That is definitely something I could search for.

Edit: The first sign of any text that is related to the gameplay is around 0x75360. (Before that there is a ton of error messages.)

Mar 2, 2008 at 8:11 PM
Hoxtilicious
If you could upload the folder with single files within a windows zip then it would be easier for me, because the mac version is a dmg file and as far as I know this is a self extracing setup or archive for mac only :/

Mar 2, 2008 at 8:25 PM
In front of a computer
A dmg is actually a compressed disk image. If you want to look at it I will try to upload it to FileSpace (as a zip instead of a dmg).

-----Edit-----

Here.

The executable file is at "Cave Story.app/Contents/MacOS/Doukutsu", and the data folder is at "Cave Story.app/Contents/Resources/data/".

Mar 2, 2008 at 8:52 PM
Hoxtilicious
Allright, so we team up and search?

You got any instant messager? Or got some IRC network programme?

Mar 2, 2008 at 8:58 PM
Hoxtilicious
Got it! Thanks man!

The map names, tileset names and so on are hardcoded at 0x0009FD50, the format is the same as the windows format.

For "Cave Story.app/Contents/Resources/" look here:

If you want to have costum orgs just extract them from the windows mods exe and replace them in the Org folder.
The normal data folder is in Data folder. Here replace the edited bmp's and the stages.
If any mod uses costum credit pictures just replace them in the bmp folder.

I don't know about the rest exe offsets like start health e.t.c.

Mar 2, 2008 at 9:11 PM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
You don't need to do all that, you just need to manually place each map's title and tilesets.

Mar 2, 2008 at 9:18 PM
Hoxtilicious
Nator said:
You don't need to do all that, you just need to manually place each map's title and tilesets.

Wrong. :confused:

What if each map loads different tileset?
What if each map has a different name?
What if each map has a different npc sprite sheet?
What if the starting health is different?
What if the weapons are hacked?
What if the start map is changed?
What if the start event number is changed?
What if the start position is changed?
What if the start health is changed?

That are things nearly all mods have changed. Especially the different tilesets or npc sprite sheets. So you need to change the hardcode. :/

Mar 2, 2008 at 9:24 PM
In front of a computer
S. P. Gardebiter said:
The map names, tileset names and so on are hardcoded at 0x0009FD50, the format is the same as the windows format.
Is the offset different for windows?

Also, I suppose it uses C-style (null-terminated) strings rather than Pascal-style (first byte is the length) strings?