Modding Doukutsu

May 17, 2006 at 11:16 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I noticed there aren't many topics/websites that give overview about how to mod Doukutsu. Are there any files/topics that can help me answer the following questions? If not, maybe this topic is a good place to sum everything up. If yes, please delete this topic.

Edit: I added the answers for future modders to have everything in one page:

Q1: How many level editors are out there? Sue's workshop and Miza or are there more? Wich one do you recommend?
A: Those two, and Sue´s workshop is the better one.

Q2: How do I edit the sprites and events (like pop up messages) in these editors?
A: Learn the TSC stuff. Where to find a good explanation?

Q3: How do I edit the graphics?
A: Either change the .pbm files into .bmp files, then edit them and change them back. Or, just make your pc open .pbm files with paint. Remember to disable the read only property. When your done editing, open the file in a hex editor and make sure the last 8 characters are ´(c)pixel´ (28 43 29 50 69 78 65 6c)

Q4: Is it possible to change the code, like make the sprites go faster or jump higher or stuff like that?

Q5: Is there more stuff to edit?

Thanks a lot.

May 18, 2006 at 12:23 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
1. I recommend Sue's Workshop. It can edit NPC scripts and MIZA can't (so far...)
2. To edit events, in sue's workshop, press the Bubbled Hey! Button. You need to know TSC. Look around in the forums to find a full list of it.
3. Maybe you must add (C) Pixel at the end of the file (use a Hex Editor)
4. Well... i think somebody has found how to edit entities... look around.

May 18, 2006 at 12:41 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
You can change some aspects of entities (HP, damage, sprite sheet, and some other various flags) that are contained in the file npc.tbl, but changing any of their behavior that's coded into the executable is not possible.

May 18, 2006 at 5:07 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Shmitz said:
You can change some aspects of entities (HP, damage, sprite sheet, and some other various flags) that are contained in the file npc.tbl, but changing any of their behavior that's coded into the executable is not currently possible.

I fixed your sentence.

May 18, 2006 at 8:58 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
jeffreymaher9@hotmail.com said:
3. Maybe you must add (C) Pixel at the end of the file (use a Hex Editor)
around.
So I tried this but my hex editor (XVI32) won't let me save the edited file over the original one. Error 5: can't acces file. What now?

May 18, 2006 at 10:11 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Go to properties and unthick the read-only thing(You must do this aswell to save the graphic of the editted sprite/whatever)

May 18, 2006 at 1:41 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yea I did that still it gave me the error. It was something with the editor because when I did save as the file didnt even show up. Anyways, it´s fixed now.

May 18, 2006 at 1:52 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
May 19, 2006 at 8:39 AM
Shining does your website work?
I use mozilla firefox and it just loads and loads and does not display a thing,Is your website down?Or just my connection?I started using Sue's workshop and want to make a MOD but too many scripts and its hard to understand so I need help on these.

May 19, 2006 at 3:03 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well, i think Filespace.org is down, i post here if its up again...

May 19, 2006 at 3:34 PM
Is there any alternative manual?From another site then?

May 19, 2006 at 4:00 PM
There are a few resource files available for download on the Gameflaws tribute site, and some intelligent forum searches can turn up useful information.