MODCON 2019 (Cave Story Annual Modding Contest)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2019 at 3:33 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Uh so this is on indefinite hiatus (AKA the competition is canceled). BLink dropped out and has privately made it clear he's no longer interested.... while being the sole manager of this competition with no backup. I think it's safe to assume that if this is picked up by someone else, the rules and deadline will most likely be different, and so this competition is effectively canceled.

If someone else wants to do something, go ahead I'm not aware of any other plans.

I'm just now seeing this for the first time, I'm sorry but what? I'm not that much of an ass to just get up and walk away with out saying anything to anybody about this contest that you guys have probably put a ton of hours into. how did this all start for me telling cold in DM "I don't think anybody is going to enter" and escalate to "lmao blinks canceling the contest"

Nov 26, 2019 at 3:44 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Hey guys, I'm terribly sorry, when I was speaking with Blink at the time, I had genuinely when he had said in a dm "I don't think anybody is entering", I had wrongly assumed it meant he was going to cancel the competition. So please, understand that this is my fault, and the competition is still going on!
Screenshot_20191125-192623_Discord.jpg

Nov 26, 2019 at 3:35 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Tbh, I'd still be damned if anyone even enters the damn thing. Both me and Bionicobot dropped our entries after modding hell and moving on to game development.

Nov 27, 2019 at 5:22 AM
"Huzzah!"
I'll see if I can get something ready by the 31st. Afterwards, modfest!

Dec 31, 2019 at 1:40 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Alright guys, it's December 31st, You all have about 18 hours and 20 minutes from the time of this post to have you submission submitted.

Godspeed.

Jan 1, 2020 at 4:45 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I reminded everyone in the CSMC to submit mods.

For those who are unfamiliar, you can submit via this link.

p372244-0-annotation20200101084240.png

If your mod is already on the site/CSMC then DM me on discord. I'm gonna pretend this is still open until BLink tells me to close it.

Feb 16, 2020 at 9:06 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
great contest 10/10 would watch BLink do absolutely nothing again

this entire thing has got to be a joke, right

Feb 16, 2020 at 9:40 PM
War criminal
Modcon has had its run while it lasted. RIP December 2014 - January 2020

Feb 18, 2020 at 7:06 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
great contest 10/10 would watch BLink do absolutely nothing again

this entire thing has got to be a joke, right
I mean, you had to have expected something like this knowing the creator. This is why y'all should have let me do modcon

May 19, 2020 at 5:44 AM
Soup Man
Greeting Critters and Gaudis, and welcome to MODCON 2019!

I will be streaming all of these mods blind (at my twitch page) and I have no desire to get banned from twitch when I stream these mods, so keep your polar star in your pants, thank you.

Prizes will be announced soon. (closer to the deadline)

Judging will be handled solely by me, It's easier this way and cuts down on judging time a lot for a cleaner, and more efficient turnout.

1589863410494.png

how long will this be neglected for it's been 5 months

May 19, 2020 at 5:55 AM
War criminal
Can we please take a break from modcons for at least a year? And can we please have a more competent host for our next one? Modcon 2014 did a better job with concluding, jesus christ.

May 19, 2020 at 6:01 AM
Soup Man
Can we please take a break from modcons for at least a year? And can we please have a more competent host for our next one? Modcon 2014 did a better job with concluding, jesus christ.
yeah that's been the plan for the last 5 months since DT or andwhy or whoever said another one wasnt allowed
no one is asking for another one; it's just that blink is too lazy to finish the one he already started over a year ago now

pointless post

May 19, 2020 at 7:19 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
it's just that blink is too lazy to finish the one he already started over a year ago now
It's not that I'm lazy, I've been working on that org player, and my indie game, and art, and a bunch of other stuff.

When people dumped entries they made (and completed without the intention of them being in modcon (like seriously guys, there's a mod from 2014 in the entries)) like less than 12 hours before the deadline, followed by my exodus from the discord/forums for a few months, I was hoping you guys would completely forget this was a thing but you keep bumping the damn thread.

Also my internet has gone to complete garbage since the COVID-19 thing started (I have a sexy 90KiB/s internet at BEST the last month) so stream would def not be a thing, even if I cared enough to finish this, and I don't want to do it if I can't stream it, and I also don't want to do it because of the last-second dumps (thanks to a rule oversight I had where I never mentioned you couldn't submit mods you haven't worked on in any major fashion during the contest period)

E: I'm sorry for those of you who actually worked on something for this contest specifically (Fortnite lover, Bobby, and Tan Cut Cola) but I really don't have a way to wrap this up other than just play the mods off stream and rate them.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 7:54 AM
War criminal
For most of the post you've made, it just really sounds like you shouldn't have done this alone, most of the previous contests were managed by at least two people, and they've gone much smoother from the wider range of management. (Also, I thought Fever Dreams of Ascension was made in 2017, it really doesn't take long to sort out the fodder from the actual entries, especially when this has been a long established rule not to submit mods made before the contest started, but I digress...)

What I really want to focus on more is this.
I'm sorry for those of you who actually worked on something for this contest specifically (Fortnite lover, Bobby, and Tan Cut Cola) but I really don't have a way to wrap this up other than just play the mods off stream and rate them.
For this tl;dr at the very end, I'm not sure if you've heard, but Discord streaming in voice chat is VERY feasible even for those with a piss poor internet connection such as myself, and you don't have to deal with the convoluted bullshit Twitch gives you. You want to record it? Record the game with your recording software while streaming on Discord! Want a chat that's more like Twitch? Just host a new discord server and server mute everybody, maybe even have only the mod developer talk as you play their entry.
Alternatively, you can also just go with the SeasonsOfDestiny method of playing through a mod, by uploading screenshots and gifs of the mod through ShareX and posting the reviews in the thread.

I dunno, man. This just overall bottles down to incompetence and immediate hypocrisy in the same page of this very thread. There's also the prizes promised at the very start of the contest, but that's an entirely different subject to discuss.
I'm not that much of an ass to just get up and walk away with out saying anything to anybody about this contest that you guys have probably put a ton of hours into.
I was hoping you guys would completely forget this was a thing but you keep bumping the damn thread.

May 19, 2020 at 8:37 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Oh yeah god forbid the thread gets bumped. Finish what you started lmao, nobody cares about whatever else you have to do. People worked for this and were promised a prize.

May 19, 2020 at 3:02 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Status
Not open for further replies.