Mod Story: Critiques from hell

Oct 26, 2012 at 5:20 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Seriously.

So I'm doing this thing now. Here I plan to play and go over the positives and negatives, "more usually the latter" on mods, with the creator's permission. So far I have completed my recordings of Haunted House Story, and the rest of the footage will be posted within the week. This is in an attempt to improve the quality of individual creators. I must warn that these mod reviews are harsh and we take no excuses.

Haunted House Story is below. It is finally complete

Anyone who wishes the same fate, can let me know down below and I'll get back to them.

Oct 26, 2012 at 5:36 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
p.s. the commentary does get more constructive in the latter portions

Oct 26, 2012 at 5:43 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Oct 26, 2012 at 6:12 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
so you're basically retsupuraeing cave story mods

yeah i'll be sure to watch all of these

Oct 26, 2012 at 6:17 PM
I don't anymore.
Yes Sexpy. We are all fans of their methods.

Thanks for being such a good sport Randolf. It's the only way we can really critique when we talk. :p

I'm glad to see the reaction is generally positive. I had fun doing this and see good reason to do it again. The latter videos definately get more and more into general and universal issue as opposed to now where it's mostly small things being pointed out.

Oct 26, 2012 at 6:48 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
You can do WTF story if you want to. You don't have to, but you have my permission.

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:54 PM
I don't anymore.
Yah, it's a friend and Noxid. The next part of the mod should come tonight or tommorow.

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
That was wonderful. I hope this series continues forever, I'll be eagerly awaiting the next episode. I can't help but feel bad for Randolf, though...

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:37 PM
I don't anymore.
He's cool with it. The truth is that our first attempts at game design are always bad. Better to learn from them than to not understand why things go wrong and quit.

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Professional Whatever
I would love if you could play through JNR, if you have time. Constructive criticism is very good.

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:39 PM
I don't anymore.
To be honest, unless you're comfortable making changes to the first half of the mod, there's not much I can do in that case. I know that despite it's high regard, Jenka's Nightmare had some flaws before you had touched it. I could be more helpful however, in say your newer mod. The one in the laboratory. It's early on and might need some direction.

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Professional Whatever
That would be great, thanks. I should get some more content made before that though.

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
I don't anymore.
Don't worry about that. If you're off to a bad start for any reason, we may suggest starting from scratch with improvements to your ideas ans concepts. You're demo is the first 5 minutes of your mod, those first 5 minutes communicate with the player the most and set up expectations. We excuse games that are so so more if they have awesome introduction, and like awesome games less because of bad introductions.

Oct 27, 2012 at 6:29 AM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
You can certainly critique my mod, I'm all for that. I like the idea of this and the video was entertaining, I'd like to see more of this.

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:22 AM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Yep, I have to stand by everyone here and say that it's a good idea. I think the execution makes it effective and even moreso constructive. Looking forward to whenever your next one is.

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:46 AM
hi hi
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I always knew there's something wrong with HHs. But without any feedback, what could I do? Nothing!

Matt, could you also post what's good/bad? I'm still not good at understanding from listening.

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:56 AM
I don't anymore.
Well, when I finish posting I will. We have a huge tangent at the end. I would have had part 2 available by tonight, but the program crashed while I was exporting the video after taking time to synch audio. If you need anymore notes afterwords I'll let you know. Also, I just found this tutorial, it's not for all games, and is more so for metroid style games, but it's good nevertheless: http://www.indiedb.com/games/magicians-and-looters/tutorials/the-carrot-the-stick-and-the-energy-tank