Mod of the 1/4th of the year (This is a loss-cause for now)

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:40 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I wonder if there could be a mod of the month. Say (for example) that the mod Cat Heaven is chosen as top mod of the month, like a promotion for being a mod that seems to be widely accepted.
The choices for the poll (question 2) are either full mods, or mods that have great quality, or potential to them. After a few weeks this could be a thing on the front page of the site.

What are your opinions, should we do this, or let this idea flop and die-CCL (ColdCallerLoppy) aka T.O.M
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Update: The contest for now until it ends is right here:http://www.cavestory.org/forums/

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:43 AM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
No.
We don't have nearly enough mods for this.

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:43 AM
leader of the meme team feat. tom, snaf and polad
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Not enough mods created to warrant a mod of the week. Perhaps a mod of the month?

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:47 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
PolarStarGames said:
Not enough mods created to warrant a mod of the week. Perhaps a mod of the month?
This is a good idea. As expressed before, a mod of the week is crazy and wouldn't work (I'm sure we've gotten plenty of weeks when no mods were released). A mod of the month actually seems really cool, especially to promote some of the better mods that get lost in the sea of dreadful mods. I'm just curious how it'd be implemented.

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:51 AM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Well actually we do have enough mods, just not enough new mods for a mod of the week, and not enough good/finished mods in general.

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:52 AM
Off-screen redemption arc
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Actually, MotM (Mod of the Month) sounds pretty sweet.

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:03 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Just to comment on the new poll option you added, I think it's pretty obvious that only the second option (all types) could work. There just aren't enough mods with full releases, and if we're trying to pick out the quality mods than all mods should be allowed.

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:14 AM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
Noxid would just win every month so what's the point

We're all clearly already aware of his superiority, this is just a way to enshrine it

p181942-0-mygpj3w.jpg

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:20 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
the problem is
no one cares
like i don't think a lot of people actually play mods anymore and unless someone is dedicated enough to do this every month it'll go down before the first winner is chosen

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:24 AM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
ColdCallerloppy said:
Now I know you can photo shop in a split. And I now know what Noxid looks like.
I take a joke and I will run a triathlon with it if I have to.

Serious contribution: A mod of the month thing is a good idea, at least that's my initial reaction. I'm not actually sure if there are that many people here who don't play/try out the mods (shame!) and I think the main people it'd benefit would be new and prospective members.

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:42 AM
War criminal
A mod of the month would sound like a great idea. But so many people have their own projects to work on, a different, smaller mod made by them is a miracle.

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:48 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I think it'd be a good idea. Every time I talk to someone they're either 'working on a mod' or thinking about making one, so a shortage of them seems unlikely in MY opinion. :/

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:07 AM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
I think that this could be a really good idea, as long as it's executed properly. Only mods that have been posted on in the last month should be used as contenders and it should be a public vote.
Just my two cents. Sounds like a good concept.

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:20 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
It guess it does make more winners than simply the single person/two people who win a Kanpachi award.

And I agree with Jersey that the finalists of the past month should receive a final/second chance in the next month, just incase we have, say, a couple of good mods followed by a month of terrible ones, or if a new update makes it better than the month before.

(No one actually plays all the released mods though.)

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:29 AM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Okay if there were a mod of the month it would promote nothing but stagnation.

Nobody is going to work towards a fake forum trophy. If they are, the catch-22 is that it will require effort and dedication, of which will ultimately take longer than a month. As a result of this, there will be several months in a row where entries are either nonexistent or absolutely awful, and there will be no choice but to be a decided 'winner' for it to be 'fair', ultimately rewarding bad content for being rushed and undedicated because the content that wouldn't be will not be done in time.

Your concept of time is abyssal. Assuming most forum members are in school or working, it leaves 8 days a month to dedicate full-time toward the goal, and time that could be better spent being productive. I ran a 'boss of the month' on the Fraxy forums for a time, and entries were scarce for something that ultimately lasts 10 minutes of play time, and in a community equally as active as this one. It lasted three months of mediocre content before it was stretched to "bi-monthly" and then systematically canned another four months later for producing less than 5 entries at a time.

In short, why not make a mod that is 'mod of the month' material instead of wasting your time putting together a forum contest about it?

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:10 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I assumed this would just be a monthly showcase of mods from the beginning of time

Apr 3, 2014 at 5:21 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Original thought :
If there are enough interested parties in pushing a mod of the month, I could see a "featured" mod of the month working... Basically an excuse to play a mod, and have a bunch of people talk about it and try it.
Whether it's ancient, or just came out; choose them based what you think people might want to be informed about?

Maybe write a little something about the mod? Maybe its history or about its creator, or something special it did (a hack, graphics or music...)

Add a splash of color with screenshots (or video) and it'd be prettty. lol
Or maybe livestream?

And perhaps the person running the mod of the month could pass around the baton to those who want to write an article for a particular month, after a quick agreement of their chosen mod...

But, then again, the forums aren't exactly the most formal place...

@OP
should we do this
All ideas need someone to care for them. You should adopt the idea you yourself brought into the world, and raise it properly. And if you can find someone to share responsiblity, then all the better!

Anyway, I'd say, if you're inspired, make a topic that checks out mods, and inspires other people to become more involved. And should it happen to catch fire, contact your local administrator

Apr 3, 2014 at 6:36 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Could we make it quarterly, make it a rule that no previous winners can renominate, and open nominations up to all mods and custom CS engine things (so Noxid doesn't feel left out) since this site began? This way no-one is pressured to rush a mod, the competition doesn't outstrip the list of possible nominations, and everyone has a fair chance no matter when they made their mod.

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:05 PM
Professional Whatever
so like, quickie guide but with actual updates