Mod community..... future general thingy

Do you want any of the features mentioned implemented?

• Total voters
Nov 1, 2015 at 5:52 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
I'm not very good at putting things into words but bla blah ect.

here goes.

Basically the Mod community is pretty isolated, a lot goes on in secret and I respect that others want to not reveal content to get a better wow effect, but I also think that building up some hype and or better presentation would be a good idea. It would be nice if all of us could get together and work together as in giving feedback and ideas and the like; instead of trying to trump another or be independant make something by the community for the community.

Either the community is working in secret a lot (Doors, Noxid, Dunc/Matt, Me, Polarstar games, TPcool, just to name a few) or the modding community is more desolate then I thought.

Also I wanted to bring back to attention the idea that Noxid had about a month ago on having better archives on modding data and having it in a more organized format (Like a wiki? maybe)

Also free for use orgs in mods. (I mean, most users are nice enough to let us use any orgs anyway, but an actual data base sorted by category like "dark" "fun" "casual" "dance" would be nice to help find stuff.

And finally I would like to personally forward a chatroom/thread for assistance with ASM modding questions; I don't have all the answers, (actually... I'm the one who asks them for the most part....) but I would like to be able to answer any lingering questions that would just go otherwise unanswered in the Quickie mod thread, and also 3 pages of ASM code assistance in a "Quickie thread" sounds a little odd... (The only actual issue with this is that I'm usually the only ones with issues....and is actively writing code.....)

I'm sure that with a little dedication and guidance in the right direction we can all make the community better for everyone involved.

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:16 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Making demos or developing in secret is up to the modder. Some people don't like posting content until they believe it's worth playing, and that's totally fine. If they need to, they can ask other people to help them test before they release a demo.
A separate IRC channel completely dedicated to modding help would be nice, but with the limited community we have I don't know how effective it would be. It would most likely end up deserted really quickly. You never know, though.

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:53 PM
"Huzzah!"
In relation to modding data/a wiki, I did research on CS's data formats and also used research from when Sue's was being developed and from some of the files Noxid included with BL.
It's nothing new, but at the time I did it because of interest and because I thought it wasn't 'centrally published'. Then the other day I found out a bunch of it is already in miza.chm.
But anyway, it's a plaintext file with a bunch of information on file formats and important hacks. More useful for people wondering about the internals and how the game functions (like people who build editors) rather than most people just looking to make mods. I'd be glad to put it in some sort of wiki or something.
here

Nov 1, 2015 at 7:00 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
A CS modding related chatroom wouldn't help much seeing there will be huge amount of time where nobody is active. Might as well have a chatroom dedicated to this forum.
A ORG database would be handy so people can find or plainly check out without having to get lost into the ORG posting thread.

Nov 1, 2015 at 7:51 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
@Doors that's why I said I respect that people want to withhold content, but proposing the argument GiR made in the said thread, marketing is important. but your point stands

@q3hardcore Anything that hasn't been done before that's fun (and optionally practical) to implement in a mod.

Nov 1, 2015 at 7:57 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I've always wanted to set up a wiki specifically for Cave Story mods/modding, but I never really took the time to sit down and play a lot of mods, so it never went anywhere. I love the idea of having an ORG database though, would be willing to contribute some ORGs to that.

Nov 1, 2015 at 8:07 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
@Bombchu Link I think an upside down hack would be cool.

It would also be nice if we had a function list with descriptions contributed by the community.

EDIT: Also, sometimes I wonder if we could have a 2x hack for the community, but it seems wrong.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2015 at 9:00 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
@Random-storykeeper I knew you would show some interest in the ORGs :debug:

@q3hardcore I tried that a long time ago (back when DoR2 was in dev) It is possible, but I would have to tread in deep waters I know next to nothing about to get anywhere, The biggest issue is getting quote to "snap" to the cieling so he can jump and not constantly make head bonking sfx/ release white sparks...

I could do some conditional JMP's and paste an NPC on top of him and make quote just snap to the NPC every frame (and I've actually done that before) and make the NPC move around identically to how quote would except with reverse gravity, but I currently don't know where to place the JMPs...

We don't need 2X, we need CS+ ASM hacks, because then modding CS+ would be highly in my interest..

I don't really do earth shattering discoveries, I just stand on the shoulders of giants.

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:03 PM
Modding CS+ is kinda annoying, since 1) we don't have a function list for it 2) the offsets are different depending on what version you have

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:24 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
Modding CS+ is kinda annoying, since 1) we don't have a function list for it 2) the offsets are different depending on what version you have
back in the days of our seniors of the forums I'm sure they had the same issue modding cave story and its now our job to do the same

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:30 PM
back in the days of our seniors of the forums I'm sure they had the same issue modding cave story and its now our job to do the same
*back in the days of your seniors

I think it'd be more interesting to re-create Cave Story+ in regular Cave Story.

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:42 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Nov 1, 2015 at 10:14 PM
Illegal is a good enough reason for me. [/sarcasm?]

Anyway, it has:
  • multiple profiles
  • the ability to play non-ORG music
  • the ability to switch between windowed/fullscreen (IIRC)
  • achievements.
  • probably some other stuff

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:38 PM
Its dark in here
Last edited:
Nov 1, 2015 at 10:54 PM
"Huzzah!"
2 redone soundtracks and while the one from Wii ware isn't all that impressive I would never consider either to be poorly redone especially the remastered version

Yeah, I guess it's not really poor - I had just heard that opinion from someone on Twitch when I hadn't played CS+ in a long while

Anyway, it has:
  • multiple profiles - done, implemented in wtf story
  • the ability to play non-ORG music - gamemanj made a NICE Lua mod for .ogg, and I think Noxid experimented with another format, cannot remember which though
  • the ability to switch between windowed/fullscreen (IIRC) - widescreen is possible (you did that, right?), although if you mean runtime switching, that's not done. If you don't mean runtime, then adding to profile.dat and loading could be done
  • achievements - use steamapi.dll, maybe, and if not do what Goerge said
  • probably some other stuff

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2015 at 11:04 PM
So far I only managed to do stretched widescreen, I haven't figured out how to make proper widescreen work.
Noxid did a proof-of-concept with PxTone. It seems somewhat wrong to have PxTone in Cave Story though xD
I'm not sure if achievements in mods would be a good thing, but I *think* I'd like to see it...

If we are going to work on modding Cave Story+, is the latest Steam version for Windows the most common version?

Nov 2, 2015 at 12:06 AM
Its dark in here
If we are going to work on modding Cave Story+, is the latest Steam version for Windows the most common version?
I don't know how else someone can obtain CS+ legally other than steam, and most of us modders mod using windows computers and/or window file reading software

Nov 2, 2015 at 12:11 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I don't know how else someone can obtain CS+ legally other than steam, and most of us modders mod using windows computers and/or window file reading software
Desura and Humble Store sell CS+ as well, plus all 3 offer Windows, Mac, and Linux versions of CS+. Although I am pretty sure that the Desura and Humble Store versions (the DRM-free versions) are the same. As such there are 6 different versions of CS+ in circulation.

Last edited: