Mod: Caveoholic!'s recent addiction v1.3

May 21, 2006 at 3:02 AM
"Huzzah!"
this time I'm 99.9% shure this will be the final version (unless the boss glitch gets fixed) & this time I've included a profile where the events that take place in the plantation have'nt taken place yet also you do not need to save curly to get to Hell's nebula

so if you want to download it click here & give me some feedback

May 21, 2006 at 2:09 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
When Misery is supposed to say her line, Quote instead sometimes does this bouncy-thing, and the story won't continue (2 out of 5 tries).

Once the rocket goes all the way up to the final area, it's about impossible to get up to Kazuma with just jet-packing (v0.8). MG'ing seems to (almost) be required to get all the way up, which is a bit annoying, particularly considering there's not a save point right before it.

Is there any content after Canada, except for the Beast Fang sidequest?

May 21, 2006 at 3:03 PM
"Huzzah!"
well majority rules so it's okey

with enough skill you can get up to kazuma with eather of the boosters & the rocket needs to be on solid ground to take off so there should be an invisibe surface you can land on

yeah Hell's nebula

May 21, 2006 at 3:57 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Well Canada's wierd. Fix up your grammar, punctuation counts. You need a savepoint down there, and also the Outer wall's messed up when you arrive without a L3 machinegun.

May 21, 2006 at 4:15 PM
"Huzzah!"
I don't use punctuation

messed up? how so?

May 21, 2006 at 6:00 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Well, upon arriving from the rocketship, I don't think the booster can help you get up. If you fall, you don't die, but fall endlessly. A L3 machinegun seems to be the only way up, and I didn't have it.

May 21, 2006 at 6:32 PM
"Huzzah!"
the boosters can help you get up I've tested it & besides just fall back down with the rocket & you will hit solid ground

May 22, 2006 at 12:48 AM
I'll echo the comment about grammar and punctuation. You can get by without proper syntax in forum posts, but if you are going to put in all the trouble for a decent/major game hack, you should at least make an attempt at using proper English in the hack. If English isn't your native language, I/we could rewrite your dialogue to make it at least semi-professional.

Is Hell Nebula supposed to be available after defeating the Undead Core? There's no game save after defeating the Undead Core, and since Boss.exe is still being used, I can't open the door to Hell.

That "bouncing" nonsense happens if a player moves towards the edge of the island after exiting the Last Cave.

Would it be too much to ask to move over the rocket to right a bit at the outer wall screen? With Booster 0.8, the margin of error is really small as is, and if you screw up, you won't always be able to fall back onto the rocket (and then you get that annoying "fall off the screen but won't die" problem). It's easily the most difficult ... anything in your hack. It would be one thing if players didn't have a machinegun, but since a L3 machinegun removes all of the difficulty, it really seems a bit cruel to make things that much harder for L1/L2 MG users (seeing as they also tend to be slightly weaker players to begin with).

If you are in doubt about the difficulty of anything you do, it's probably too hard if it could involve instant death or near instant death. Otherwise, it instead might be too easy.

Regarding the Sue's Workshop problem, I think Shmitz was able to put together a workaround, because he's used a Balfrog-based enemy proper in his hack, Jenka's Nightmare. Maybe Shmitz could help you out if you ask nicely.

Keep at it.

May 22, 2006 at 12:56 AM
"Huzzah!"
there is a glitch in the core you can fix it by removing the #0400 between #0203 & #0204 & it's incomplete <MOV command

May 22, 2006 at 4:07 AM
Maelstrom said:
Regarding the Sue's Workshop problem, I think Shmitz was able to put together a workaround, because he's used a Balfrog-based enemy proper in his hack, Jenka's Nightmare. Maybe Shmitz could help you out if you ask nicely.

Keep at it.

The way I've done it is not add any new maps at all, but just use pre-existing ones. You can change any other aspect of the map the boss appears in (tileset, enemies, background, size), and they'll still work. The only hitch is I've yet to find a way of changing where on the map the boss appears.

This is easy in a mod that changes the game from the very beginning, less so in a mod that adds new content to the original game material. If you can find enough maps that you don't expect players to ever go to in your mod, you could try this:

1. Remove the map files of the old maps that players won't go to (backing them up first isn't a bad idea).
  2. Rename your new map files to the old map files.
  3. Back up your current doukutsu.exe.
  4. Copy the original doukutsu.exe into your mod directory.
  5. Open it up in Sue's Workshop.
  6. Do File -> Commit Changes
  7. Update any TRA commands that pointed to the new maps to point to their changed ID numbers.

This may or may not work (in which case restore from your backed up files); I haven't tried it yet to fix the boss issue. I have used steps 3-6 to fix a corruption I had where Polishes started causing the game to crash. I've also been keeping multiple backups of my mod directory just in case I accidentally break the special bosses at some point, I'll have a previous working version to revert to.

May 22, 2006 at 7:57 PM
"Huzzah!"
Maelstrom said:
I'll echo the comment about grammar and punctuation. You can get by without proper syntax in forum posts, but if you are going to put in all the trouble for a decent/major game hack, you should at least make an attempt at using proper English in the hack. If English isn't your native language, I/we could rewrite your dialogue to make it at least semi-professional.

Is Hell Nebula supposed to be available after defeating the Undead Core? There's no game save after defeating the Undead Core, and since Boss.exe is still being used, I can't open the door to Hell.

That "bouncing" nonsense happens if a player moves towards the edge of the island after exiting the Last Cave.

Would it be too much to ask to move over the rocket to right a bit at the outer wall screen? With Booster 0.8, the margin of error is really small as is, and if you screw up, you won't always be able to fall back onto the rocket (and then you get that annoying "fall off the screen but won't die" problem). It's easily the most difficult ... anything in your hack. It would be one thing if players didn't have a machinegun, but since a L3 machinegun removes all of the difficulty, it really seems a bit cruel to make things that much harder for L1/L2 MG users (seeing as they also tend to be slightly weaker players to begin with).

If you are in doubt about the difficulty of anything you do, it's probably too hard if it could involve instant death or near instant death. Otherwise, it instead might be too easy.

Keep at it.

the diologue in canada isin't worded incorrectly the only thing that's wrong with it is that it has no commas or periods witch shoulden't be much of a problem unless your obsessive compulsive

the exit & run doukutsu.exe message is after undead core is when you try to go into prefab house

I'll move the rocket over a bit

May 22, 2006 at 9:17 PM
caveoholic! said:
the diologue in canada isin't worded incorrectly the only thing that's wrong with it is that it has no commas or periods witch shoulden't be much of a problem unless your obsessive compulsive

Or have a healthy respect for the English language. Asking for proper grammar, which includes punctuation, is not a sign of being obsessive compulsive. It is akin to asking your video card manufacturer to include the color blue in their display capabilities.

May 22, 2006 at 9:49 PM
"Huzzah!"
your computer not being able to display the color blue is like 100 times worse than not having .'s & ,'s in your text but if It really fusterates you so much than I would appreciate it if you fixed it (without rewording it in any way) but I'm not going to bother with it

May 23, 2006 at 5:33 PM
The colour blue is something we all expect from a video card.
Grammar is something we all expect from any decent game.

If you want your game to do well, then spend 30 mins getting punctuation right.

May 23, 2006 at 10:42 PM
I don't really see any way to get in hell's nebula but I got in the original hell. Funny thing I noticed. You can actually SKIP Heavy Press and go straight to Ballos which is funny.

May 24, 2006 at 12:32 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
caveoholic! said:
Normaly I'd agree with you caveoholic. I hate grammer and correct spelling. That last sentance sounds quite ignorant, but the point of those things are to aid communication, they aren't neccissary for communication, they just help it. My mom and brother often correct me for simple things and I get furious... If they understood what I ment, then why bother correcting it?

However you made a mod, you want it to look as professional as possible. Not having ANY grammer is a huge problem, a mistake here and there will get corrected, but when you don't take the time to even care, then screw it, why should we help you?

Edit:
I havn't played it again is it possible to do heavy press and ballos in the nebula yet? Also did he take out the bad background and some of the enemys so that it's possible to fight your way through?

May 24, 2006 at 7:53 AM
Problem is not everyone appreciates incorrect grammar and ignore your comment which is rather annoying(I was once on a forum that the members flame me for my bad grammar and ofcourse I got sick of that forum and left)

May 24, 2006 at 9:36 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I'd be happy to get to some text...I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing in this mod...I got to some teleporter that takes me to the jail or grasstown..and that's it.

And why is it if I talk to a mimiga the teleport options are heard but not seen..o_O

May 24, 2006 at 8:36 PM
"Huzzah!"
I'm fixing the punctuation now so stop nagging me about it

that "bad backround" in hell's nebula was the basis for the whole dam idea there's no way I'm going to change it I don't care if you can't see enemy projectiles GET GLASSES I can see them just fine besides It's supposed to make it harder

Chaddykins I don't know why the teleporter options arn't showing up but that's probably why you did'nt see "Destination 2" which would have taken you back to cloud house

To get to hell's nebula you just jump into that tiedye thing at the top of space

Actually SeriousFace I have OCD so pleese don't call me ignorant about it

May 24, 2006 at 10:33 PM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Okay well..I still didn't know what I was supposed to do to get past that maze thing...but I found out if you fly all the way to the left off screen it takes you back on screen but above the yellow clouds to the left of the maze..

Canada place was big...really big. Once I got to where the rocket takes me up..and it drops you off, I had no lv 3 machine gun and I sure as heck wasn't expecting that, so I fell. And since there's no save point between the Cloud House and past the outer wall, I'm going to have to start over (after work >_>)