Mod: Caveoholic!'s recent addiction v1.2

May 14, 2006 at 3:03 PM
"Huzzah!"
I am completely finished now & this time I have included a profile that skips right to the edited part

so if you want to download it click here & give me some feedback

May 14, 2006 at 3:23 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Cool, maybe i can add to my modding page ???

May 14, 2006 at 3:58 PM
Hoxtilicious
Thanks! So it's finish??
Well, at this time i haven't got MUCH space, so i link your page, if u ever need space, i upload it on my page.
I add a 16x16 Picture for every Download, tell wich icon i could use for yours... (Maybe a charakter, quote?)

May 14, 2006 at 4:06 PM
"Huzzah!"
Use a canadian flag

I'm 98% shure I fixed all glitches and added everything I wanted to add but that 2% chance could rear it's ugly head and I would have to make version1.3

May 14, 2006 at 5:33 PM
Hoxtilicious
Canada is my favorite country ^^!

May 14, 2006 at 11:19 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I am from Canada! :D

May 14, 2006 at 11:32 PM
"Huzzah!"
In my mod there is a map named Canada looking at NPCIsland.pbm and the temperate forests depicted in it resemble those of canada so I figured the island must be in the sky over canada

May 14, 2006 at 11:39 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Hmmmmm... *looks out window* OMG *The island is floating there*

May 15, 2006 at 4:10 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
There are some very serious problems with this. Note I started with the profile.dat where you start at the new stuff.

* Is maching gun required to do this new stuff? Because I don't think you can make it up the left side of the island with out lvl 3 machine gun. Where you zone after the "rooms" with Polishs.

* 99% of the time fighting the enemys is not worth the time. Fighting them obnoxious, skipping them = easy. You don't mean to do it but you encourage the player to skip enemys rather then fight them.

* The maze with shootable blocks. Can't put my finger on it, but something here just isn't fun.

* Change the sparkle that takes you to cloud house to a door. When you use a sparkle, you do NOT expect to travel somewhere else. I spent alot of time clearing blocks, I don't want to zone and have them all respawn. If you change it to a door, at least we know what to expect.

* Cloud house, why is it here? There is nothing to enteract with. Have the table and or computer say something. It's a useless zone.

* The teleporter takes you to the plantation jail 2, then when you use the teleporter there it takes you to grasstown shelter. This punishs players for exploring.

* The "boss fight" where you fight lots of rabils and igor's is very easy, and very time consuming.

* Getting +50 HP for that fight is TOO much... I know you want alot of HP for the new hell, but don't give the player that much hp before fighitng undead core.

* The event that ends in Misery teleporting you to canada does not reapear if you die. Maybe because of the skipflag? Whatever the reason it's a huge issue, that must be fixed.

* Canada... I like the music and the background. I didn't for 1 second of playing Cave Story think that the setting of the game was the real world. Going to canada just felt stupid to me. Sorry if this is offensive, but this is like fan fiction when people put there self into a story with fictional characters.

* Canada... there are diolog problems with lots of characters, you can fall straight of the map (it looks like when you go off the side it will zone you), its wierd seeing the same characters over and over, and all you do are boring fetch quests. I hated this zone, and can't think of any way you could make it better.

* When you beat Canada you are taken to outer wall. Here I have some questions for you. To get to the new hell, do you have to restore Curlys memory? I noticed that I have the mushroom badge so I assume yes. Also where does the 2nd explosive come from? Or do you just keep it somehow after using it on the shelter door? Anyway... Most important question: if I were to go up outerwall, go thru last cave, and beat undead core, would that let me get to special hell? Because I didn't want to risk it, and instead I went left thru egg corridor, and back up the left wall. This felt like unnecissary back tracking because I just did all that. So... I hope I didn't have to.

* I already said this, but Misery, doctor fights, and undead core are too easy with 100 hit points.

* Getting to the new hell takes too damn long. And durring part of it you'r at random risk of taking damage from the falling rocks! NO NO NO, do NOT put random unavoidable damage. Its cool that you fly up into space, but its just too much down time. If you die you gatta sit thru all of it over again. Not fun. Some of the clouds overlap the rocket, but not you, I don't know if thats fixable, but it looks very wierd.

* Hell... Did you even play test this? Its cool that you added a new background but it makes almost all the enemy projectiles almost impossible to see. Mixed with the shaking, it hurts my eyes after a while. The only intellegent way to actually "fight" many of the enemys is to just stand over them and throw fireballs down. If you had snake (which might not even be possible to have because of the NEED for machine gun on the left wall) then the best way to fight them would be shooting downward thru the ground. So... you arn't really fighting these enemys. Best way past is again, to just run past. Get hit by something that does low damage... then spam on blade of missles or whatever. Fighting rows of just purple critters is the only one where you actually have a fun way to fight them.

* Hell 2. Way to many enemys. The background gets in the way more because its much more open, and its even harder to see enemy projectiles coming. The abundance of Fuzz Cores means that you should just take a hit for 1 damage and keep on running. I mean, I have 120 hp. I mean, durring speed runs people always just skip fighting enemys. When people will want to skip enemys in a regular game, that is a problem.

* Hell 3. This one is the most enjoyable. The enemys are actually fightable, and don't just cover the entirty of the screen. The blue spikes are really hard to see. You added 2 new plot diologs, donno about the first one, but it's possible to get "stuck" in the first one. By "stuck" i mean as soon as the text ends, it will start up again before you can move... so it basically forces you to quit the game, or read about hell's nebula till the end of time (maybe you can move a pixel between diologs, but it'll take forever to get out. Also it dosn't stop your momentum, so if you are run jumping the text starts and then you fall on spikes, very annoying.

* The Big press is one of the bosses that glitchs when you add new maps. How do you intend to make it work inside a new map? It'll have to teleport you to normal hell, and make you save the game and open up boss.exe. That will start over the nikumaru counter btw. Same problem applies to ballos.

May 15, 2006 at 4:10 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Where does the content end?

Anyway, you can fall off the right side of Canada.

The combat's okay, although a bit easy right now (no matter how many monsters you put out there, you can float with the machinegun to avoid just about any trouble).

Lots of the Canada dialogue is formatted oddly (including wrong capitalization and so forth).

May 15, 2006 at 8:18 PM
"Huzzah!"
SeriousFace said:
There are some very serious problems with this. Note I started with the profile.dat where you start at the new stuff.

* Is maching gun required to do this new stuff? Because I don't think you can make it up the left side of the island with out lvl 3 machine gun. Where you zone after the "rooms" with Polishs.

* 99% of the time fighting the enemys is not worth the time. Fighting them obnoxious, skipping them = easy. You don't mean to do it but you encourage the player to skip enemys rather then fight them.

* The maze with shootable blocks. Can't put my finger on it, but something here just isn't fun.

* Change the sparkle that takes you to cloud house to a door. When you use a sparkle, you do NOT expect to travel somewhere else. I spent alot of time clearing blocks, I don't want to zone and have them all respawn. If you change it to a door, at least we know what to expect.

* Cloud house, why is it here? There is nothing to enteract with. Have the table and or computer say something. It's a useless zone.

* The teleporter takes you to the plantation jail 2, then when you use the teleporter there it takes you to grasstown shelter. This punishs players for exploring.

* The "boss fight" where you fight lots of rabils and igor's is very easy, and very time consuming.

* Getting +50 HP for that fight is TOO much... I know you want alot of HP for the new hell, but don't give the player that much hp before fighitng undead core.

* The event that ends in Misery teleporting you to canada does not reapear if you die. Maybe because of the skipflag? Whatever the reason it's a huge issue, that must be fixed.

* Canada... I like the music and the background. I didn't for 1 second of playing Cave Story think that the setting of the game was the real world. Going to canada just felt stupid to me. Sorry if this is offensive, but this is like fan fiction when people put there self into a story with fictional characters.

* Canada... there are diolog problems with lots of characters, you can fall straight of the map (it looks like when you go off the side it will zone you), its wierd seeing the same characters over and over, and all you do are boring fetch quests. I hated this zone, and can't think of any way you could make it better.

* When you beat Canada you are taken to outer wall. Here I have some questions for you. To get to the new hell, do you have to restore Curlys memory? I noticed that I have the mushroom badge so I assume yes. Also where does the 2nd explosive come from? Or do you just keep it somehow after using it on the shelter door? Anyway... Most important question: if I were to go up outerwall, go thru last cave, and beat undead core, would that let me get to special hell? Because I didn't want to risk it, and instead I went left thru egg corridor, and back up the left wall. This felt like unnecissary back tracking because I just did all that. So... I hope I didn't have to.

* I already said this, but Misery, doctor fights, and undead core are too easy with 100 hit points.

* Getting to the new hell takes too damn long. And durring part of it you'r at random risk of taking damage from the falling rocks! NO NO NO, do NOT put random unavoidable damage. Its cool that you fly up into space, but its just too much down time. If you die you gatta sit thru all of it over again. Not fun. Some of the clouds overlap the rocket, but not you, I don't know if thats fixable, but it looks very wierd.

* Hell... Did you even play test this? Its cool that you added a new background but it makes almost all the enemy projectiles almost impossible to see. Mixed with the shaking, it hurts my eyes after a while. The only intellegent way to actually "fight" many of the enemys is to just stand over them and throw fireballs down. If you had snake (which might not even be possible to have because of the NEED for machine gun on the left wall) then the best way to fight them would be shooting downward thru the ground. So... you arn't really fighting these enemys. Best way past is again, to just run past. Get hit by something that does low damage... then spam on blade of missles or whatever. Fighting rows of just purple critters is the only one where you actually have a fun way to fight them.

* Hell 2. Way to many enemys. The background gets in the way more because its much more open, and its even harder to see enemy projectiles coming. The abundance of Fuzz Cores means that you should just take a hit for 1 damage and keep on running. I mean, I have 120 hp. I mean, durring speed runs people always just skip fighting enemys. When people will want to skip enemys in a regular game, that is a problem.

* Hell 3. This one is the most enjoyable. The enemys are actually fightable, and don't just cover the entirty of the screen. The blue spikes are really hard to see. You added 2 new plot diologs, donno about the first one, but it's possible to get "stuck" in the first one. By "stuck" i mean as soon as the text ends, it will start up again before you can move... so it basically forces you to quit the game, or read about hell's nebula till the end of time (maybe you can move a pixel between diologs, but it'll take forever to get out. Also it dosn't stop your momentum, so if you are run jumping the text starts and then you fall on spikes, very annoying.

* The Big press is one of the bosses that glitchs when you add new maps. How do you intend to make it work inside a new map? It'll have to teleport you to normal hell, and make you save the game and open up boss.exe. That will start over the nikumaru counter btw. Same problem applies to ballos.

you don't have to have the machine gun to go up the outer wall left side you can use eather of the boosters to get up it

so you can have the snake in the new hell but even if you needed to use the machine gun to get up the outer wall left side there is a way to get both the snake and machine gun so you could still have the snake in the new hell

the unavoidable falling blocks you get hit with are there to compensate for having 100 life points

I forgot to put invisible walls on both sides of canada

destination 2 in jail no. takes you back to cloud house

after you bomb the shelter door in grasstown malco will give you bombs whenever you ask him

I had better plans for cloud house that involved the unknown man with the brown trenchcoat but I coulden't find the sprite so I gave up and just made it a teleporting station

for hell's nebula B1 & B2 all I did was replace enimy sprites from hell with ones from the labrenth and enimy projectiles are supposed to blend in with the backround to make it harder

the fight you refer to as a boss fight with ravils & igors before you said it was fun you also told me I should take out the nitch in the right wall and make you start out in the center witch I did so what's the deal?

what's not fun about the breakable block maze? it's a maze that you can't see where your going till' you shoot there

the thing about misery transporting you to canada...how the hell did you die in canada?

after getting through canada and to the plantaiton you're not supposed to be able to back track through outer wall left side I'll have to fix that

can you give me an example of a diologue problem in canada? because I throughly tested everything and I didn't fing any problems

would it help if I put those green scurrying things from the plantation in canada?

May 15, 2006 at 8:46 PM
Great mod! It did have some parts where quote would get "stuck", but that's kind of to be expected since cave story is so hard to mod. Still loved it, especially the mazes!

May 15, 2006 at 10:52 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Oh your right you can get up the left wall with out machine gun. Its suprisingly hard tho.

The boss fight was fun when I did it with around 15 hp. Before I skiped to the new stuff with out giving myself everything I would otherwise have. I am glad you took out the nook on the right, but you can still do the same thing on any of the upper platforms.

You are right about the teleporter stuff, oversight on my part sorry.

I still think you should change the sparkle to a door tho.

What if someone wants to do a low hp run of your game? Yes you can move back and forth on the rocket to avoid the boulders but meh, its really random and taking control away from the player is taking away fun.

I died in canada because I fell off the map. Put walls in that zone please.

You didn't address the biggest problem tho. How do you get heavy press and ballos to work? When I ran boss.exe from my save in the prefab building (with rocket) it would start a new game even when I go to continue. Anyway I don't think major bosses run in newly added maps.

May 16, 2006 at 1:01 PM
Hoxtilicious
Well, the left side of the Wall, was cool, I loved the hurt puzzle and the maze puzzle!

May 20, 2006 at 6:01 AM
"Huzzah!"
does anyone know where the damage done by fuzz cores is set in Npc.tbl?

May 20, 2006 at 6:14 AM
caveoholic! said:
does anyone know where the damage done by fuzz cores is set in Npc.tbl?

Fuzz Core = entity ID 187
Damage is four bytes, so 187 x 4 = 748 = 2EC (hex)
Damage starting address is 10EC, so 10EC + 2EC = 13D8

I do this wayyy too much. If I were any kind of windows application programmer I'd write something to make it easier, but...