Misery Story (abandoned :c)

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:49 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
eh, I did aforementioned hack, or at least one incarnation of it, and I already declared all my hacking stuff public domain.
as far as stealing goes, that's a sorta ridiculous standard to live up to. if you were, say, designing a car, would you re-invent the wheel because using the already made design would be lazy? Howabout the headlights, would you have to rediscover electricity? using things already made is not being lazy, it is a stepping stone to becoming better yourself.

Code:
[49e184] - which level of char sprites used

Graphics Part :
  0x4154B8: mov eax,[49e184]
            shl eax,5
            add [ebp-0C],eax
            add [ebp-4],eax

TSC Part (replaces xx1):
  0x425159: cmp edx,4D
  0x425171: cmp ecx,49
  0x42518A: cmp eax,4D
            mov ecx,[4a5ae0]
            add ecx,4
            push ecx
            call 421900
            add esp,4
            mov [49e184],eax
            add [4a5ae0],8
            jmp 004252A7
tsc code <mimxxxx changes level of sprites to xxxx. normal is 0 I think.

Also where'd the argument go? I guess it's better that it's gone.

edit: this actually wouldn't work. or rather, it would work, but for any command that stars w/ <mi. you'd have to put in a third set of jmps away for it to act like a full mim function.

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:52 AM
Professional Whatever
Re: Misery Story

One of the moderators moved it. I think it was cheeser.
Anyway, I still know nothing of assembly, so all that is moonspeak to me.
EDIT: uh...I forgot why I'm editing this post.
N-nevermind.

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:57 AM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"

You don't really have to understand it all that well for that. It's more or less copying and pasting.

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:59 AM
Professional Whatever

I still think I'll just do the episode thing; it kind of releases some pressure. I have no idea why, but it does.

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:00 AM

well those thingies taht start with 0x are all offsets, they are positions in the exe. each line is an instruction mov moves values from the second param to the first, add adds things from the second to the first, shl multiplies the first parameter by two the second parameter # of times, call calls a function and jmp jumps to a a different offset push pusehs a number on top of the stack and pop pops one from the top. eax, ecx, and edx are all registers (basically variables), and a number within brackets is a pointer to a bit of data at that position in the ram. [49e184] is the variable I use for what level of miming you're at, and [4a5ae0] is the position of the reader in the tsc parser.

yay!
to use it you just open olly and type

also say gir or giraka or girakacheezer, cheeser by itself leads to confusion with wedgie.
also ninjad. your choice, but hey.

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:06 AM
Professional Whatever

Uh-that sounds...insane.
Tomorrow imma gonna try and rush through all mah errors in jenka's nightmare, and hopefully post a new demo. By then I'll be finally almost done with JN and be free...well, sort of.

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:41 AM
"..."

Hmm...

Maybe have two endings, one canonical in which Misery ends up slaved to the Doctor, and the other in which she manages to free herself?

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:24 PM
Professional Whatever

That is an awesome idea! Maybe after miakid is killed, misery goes to ballos and fights him to destroy the demon crown. If you lose, he could punish misery.

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:33 AM
"..."

LunarSoul said:
That is an awesome idea! Maybe after miakid is killed, misery goes to ballos and fights him to destroy the demon crown. If you lose, he could punish misery.

I was thinking more of a lightside/darkside sort of thing, actually. Misery's character is highly open to interpretation.

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:10 PM
Professional Whatever

But, do you really think misery would ever want to choose to be cursed under the demon crown?

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:33 PM
"..."

LunarSoul said:
But, do you really think misery would ever want to choose to be cursed under the demon crown?

Of course not, but actions have consequences.

Just off the top of my head, here's a (probably pretty crappy) idea - if you've been playing Misery as "good" for most of the game, Quote and Curly help you defeat Ballos and break your curse, after which you crush Miakid, while if you play evilly, Misery turning on Miakid causes a backlash from her curse putting her in stasis (cue opening cutscene of Cave Story).

Alternatively, you could flip it round the other way. "Nice" Misery tries to help Quote and Curly, resulting in her being put in stasis, while "nasty" Misery instead sneaks off to defeat Ballos and free herself, after which she crushes Miakid like a bug and becomes ruler of the island.

The reason I suggest this kind of idea is because Misery is one of the few morally ambiguous characters in Cave Story.

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:52 PM
Professional Whatever

magic9mushroom said:
Alternatively, you could flip it round the other way. "Nice" Misery tries to help Quote and Curly, resulting in her being put in stasis, while "nasty" Misery instead sneaks off to defeat Ballos and free herself, after which she crushes Miakid like a bug and becomes ruler of the island.
That's actually not a bad idea. Although making yes/no decisions to decide misery's fate seems kinda lame. Maybe if she meets certain people and activates certain cutscenes, maybe she will learn more about the island; about where ballos resides, about the core, etc. Then if she can get the right spell perhaps, she will be encouraged enough to face ballos...
If I do follow through with that idea, how hard do you think miakid should be to defeat after fighting ballos? Should misery be overpowered, or should she be able to just barely kill him?

EDIT: we really should spoiler our posts, or something. We just revealed the final bosses for both endings. :awesomeface:

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:04 PM
"..."

LunarSoul said:
That's actually not a bad idea. Although making yes/no decisions to decide misery's fate seems kinda lame. Maybe if she meets certain people and activates certain cutscenes, maybe she will learn more about the island; about where ballos resides, about the core, etc. Then if she can get the right spell perhaps, she will be encouraged enough to face ballos...

Yeah, this kind of idea. There's plenty of ways to make choices without having a Yes/No box come up. You could have two people tell you to do different things, and you pick on your own whose advice to take, for instance.

If I do follow through with that idea, how hard do you think miakid should be to defeat after fighting ballos? Should misery be overpowered, or should she be able to just barely kill him?

Well, Miakid's a normal human, and with Ballos defeated the Demon Crown would be unpowered, so it's not so much Misery being overpowered as him being severely underpowered, almost on the level of Toroko in the Shack.

After all, it's not like he has the Uber Zombie Drug to level the scales.

EDIT: we really should spoiler our posts, or something. We just revealed the final bosses for both endings. :awesomeface:

Lol, maybe. If we start getting into specifics rather than vague ideas, we should probably start using spoilers.

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:25 PM
Professional Whatever

Well, maybe there could be sub-endings for the good ending. Maybe certain yes/no decisions could decide misery's humanity; like, whether or not to test the demon flowers on a mimiga. That could decide whether (after defeating miakid) she rules the island or looks after it side by side with jenka and the mimiga.

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:35 PM
"..."

LunarSoul said:
Well, maybe there could be sub-endings for the good ending. Maybe certain yes/no decisions could decide misery's humanity; like, whether or not to test the demon flowers on a mimiga. That could decide whether (after defeating miakid) she rules the island or looks after it side by side with jenka and the mimiga.

Of course, how complex the plot's branches can be depends entirely on how many if/then clauses you're willing to write. :awesomeface:

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:38 PM
Professional Whatever

magic9mushroom said:
Of course, how complex the plot's branches can be depends entirely on how many if/then clauses you're willing to write. :awesomeface:
It's a simple matter of putting in a couple of flags. Granted I'd have to make a few more epic cutscenes, but that's a small price to pay.
Speaking of which, I really need to work on the cutscenes for jenka's nightmare. I've been up to my eyeballs in glitches that I haven't had time.

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:42 PM
"..."

LunarSoul said:
It's a simple matter of putting in a couple of flags. Granted I'd have to make a few more epic cutscenes, but that's a small price to pay.

It depends on how many choices there are and to what extent they act as a "karma meter" as opposed to acting separately.

If there are 10 choices, for example, there are up to 1024 possibilities.

Speaking of which, I really need to work on the cutscenes for jenka's nightmare. I've been up to my eyeballs in glitches that I haven't had time.

Looking forward to it!

Especially looking forward to not having to boost through Presses. :awesomeface:

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:45 PM
Professional Whatever

Heh! Me too...
Also, I made a new area. It's hidden in oblivion: erosion.
I have to fill erosion somehow! Without secrets, it's worthless.
I'll have to add a few orangebells as well.

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:48 PM
"..."

LunarSoul said:
Heh! Me too...
Also, I made a new area. It's hidden in oblivion: erosion.

Ooh, another one?

I have to fill erosion somehow! Without secrets, it's worthless.

Agreed, but Oblivion should still be emptier than the rest of the island IMO (it is, y'know, Oblivion :awesomeface:).

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:52 PM
Professional Whatever

magic9mushroom said:
Especially looking forward to not having to boost through Presses. :awesomeface:
Umm...
you do know you can go through the teleporter in town hall to get there, right?
Also, we should probably continue this conversation in the jenka's nightmare revived thread.