Re: Misery Story

Wedge of Cheese said:
Moderator, technically. But yeah...

Oh. Thought he was an admin. Oops.

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:44 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."

So, it seems I'm way over my head for assembly. So there will probably be no "hacks", but I will make an effort to make new bosses w/ sprites.
If you want, I can post the story (spoilered, of course) so far.

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:02 PM
Professional Whatever

Ha. This conversation is fun.
Anyway, do you guys want me to post the story so far?
(This is a feeble attempt to keep things on track...)

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:05 PM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"

I don't think there's much of a point to if it has spoiling things, because the mod's not even made yet, y'know.

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:46 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Re: Assembly sucks when you first start.

I've already said that the conversation should end. Please post some story elements. I'm curious as to how a Misery mod would be done. Will you change Misery's sprites at all?

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:53 PM
Professional Whatever

HyMyNameIsMatt said:
I've already said that the conversation should end. Please post some story elements. I'm curious as to how a Misery mod would be done. Will you change Misery's sprites at all?
Yes, I will. There never was an animation for misery walking. She just floats around and teleports. I'm also gonna make different facesets for misery, since it takes place in varying stages of her life. It might be cool to make it possible to play as balrog as well, although, considering his size, that'll be kinda hard.

Jan 22, 2011 at 4:26 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."

LunarSoul said:
Yes, I will. There never was an animation for misery walking. She just floats around and teleports. I'm also gonna make different facesets for misery, since it takes place in varying stages of her life. It might be cool to make it possible to play as balrog as well, although, considering his size, that'll be kinda hard.

While having Misery walk at first would be a good idea, she should certainly be able to float around by the end.

It'd probably be easiest to make that work by modding the Booster 0.8 (and later 2.0).

Jan 22, 2011 at 2:11 PM
Professional Whatever
That'd be interesting, but I have one question. Can you use <EQ+ to equip an item you don't actually have? It would be great if you could; if not, oh well.

Jan 22, 2011 at 3:19 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
You can. And speaking of which, I think you misused <EQ+ in Jenka's Nightmare, 'cause I had to edit it to make the Booster 2.0 work. Might wanna double check that. <EQ+ and <EQ- don't work the same way as <FL+ and <FL-. Where if you <FL+ a flag that's already set, nothing happens, but if you <EQ+ something that's already equipped, it actually unequips it and equips the next highest thing (since TSC treats equipped items as a single integer rather than a set of flags).

Jan 22, 2011 at 3:30 PM
Professional Whatever

Ah, that makes sense. I was screwing around in the arms script to make a booster 3.0(which I then realized I needed assembly for). Well magic, you get your booster back!

Jan 22, 2011 at 7:55 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
LunarSoul said:
That'd be interesting, but I have one question. Can you use <EQ+ to equip an item you don't actually have? It would be great if you could; if not, oh well.

Even without that, it's entirely plausible to have Misery have a charm for flying or something.

But yeah, itemless is good.

LunarSoul said:
Ah, that makes sense. I was screwing around in the arms script to make a booster 3.0(which I then realized I needed assembly for). Well magic, you get your booster back!

Yay.

What was the Booster v3.0 going to do?

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:31 PM
Professional Whatever

magic9mushroom said:
What was the Booster v3.0 going to do?
Meh, it would be infinite. Not a big deal if it's not there.
EDIT: so, I think that after I'm finished with jenka's nightmare, before I start misery story, imma make a short hack. It'll take maybe a few days, and I just don't wanna forget about it.
Also, what do you guys think of me splitting the game into separate "episodes", with each having its own doukutsu.exe file? That way I can make misery's sprite look younger or older for each episode, and it would look awesome.
If anyone's played "the way", it's kind of like that.

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:15 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
There's a hack already for quasi-infinite extension of the MyChar set you know. It is already done so all that would be required is copy-pasting, more or less.

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:46 PM
Professional Whatever

Noxid said:
There's a hack already for quasi-infinite extension of the MyChar set you know. It is already done so all that would be required is copy-pasting, more or less.
Well yes, except, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Jan 23, 2011 at 12:20 AM
graters gonna grate

He means that there's no need to create separate episodes. You can have more than 2 sets of MyChar sprites in a single mod. It requires a hack, but said hack has already been done, so it wouldn't be that hard to do again.

Jan 23, 2011 at 2:04 AM
Professional Whatever

Well, I still think the episode idea is pretty nifty. It's original, that's for sure.
And besides, I don't want to steal from other hacks. That's lazy. (You know, except for the fact that I'm stealing everything from jenka's nightmare; including story, maps, and items =P)

Jan 23, 2011 at 2:13 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
It's not stealing if the hacks are donated

It feels like I've done hacks for half the people that have made a mod since 2009

Jan 23, 2011 at 2:52 AM
graters gonna grate

Yeah, and if you think about it, almost no hacks nowadays are done by one person alone, since they all rely on the offsets which were found by all the old hackers like runelancer.