Misery Story (abandoned :c)

Mar 1, 2012 at 4:18 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Screenies! And by screenies I mean a single screeny. I'll put more up when I find good photo opportunities.
Workin' hard on this mod, finally. Got about half a map done and a few cutscenes. Almost done chapter 1 of the storyline, then I'll post a new demo =3

Mar 1, 2012 at 4:27 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Ohlook progress.

Im liking the porple message box, though.
Porple is good. And that guy is mysterious.

Also why give us energy capsules in enemy-stripped hell when we have a Nemesis and a blade. We're fighting Ballos, level three for either of those weapons is not good.

Mar 2, 2012 at 6:29 AM
Professional Whatever
You used to have the snake instead of the nemesis. I just forgot to take the capsules out.
Augh still gotta resprite ballos.

Bump:
New screenie, tons of delicious progress, almost finished first chapter, and PURPLE SUIT.
Just thought you should know.

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:45 AM
The Eternal Darkness
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Bump:
New screenie, tons of delicious progress, almost finished first chapter, and PURPLE SUIT.
Just thought you should know.
Changed your avatar again? WOW that's so confusing.
Anyway, will this mod include how Misery gets Ballos to make the Demon Crown?

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:03 PM
Professional Whatever
By screenie I meant screenshot, not avatar.
And yes, I have something planned for that.

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:25 PM
The Eternal Darkness
I know that, I was talking about your new avatar. Another question, though. Does Balrog have a part in this mod too?

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM
Professional Whatever
Yep, I have something planned for him as well.

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:17 PM
The Eternal Darkness
Awesome.

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:18 PM
Based Member
Ah, nice. I'll play it as soon as I get back from the place I'm going right now. Oh, also, could you please upload all of your future versions to Mediafire? Cause it doesn't make you wait twenty seconds.

EDIT: Okay, I'll just go ahead and list the glitches, and the last one should explain why I chose to go no further or review no further.

Glitches:

- You still haven't fixed the glitch with older Misery's sprite showing during the first shot, and then her younger sprite showing when it fades out and in.
- You still haven't fixed the glitch with Jenka not appearing in the Plantation until the cutscene at the beginning ends.
- The jerky camera glitch still happens at the beginning.
- When I talk to that fishing Mimiga who has the same sprite as Kanpachi, you'd best use the <PRI command for him instead of the <KEY command, cause I sometimes got hit by those fish that spit bubbles at you.
- When Jenka tells you to explore up above, nothing happens when you try to talk to Jenka.
- When I go outside when I'm supposed to go to bed for the first time, the passage back in is blocked off. So I couldn't get back in, so I went out into the Plantation. Then I found a sparkly item above the door that leads to the storehouse, and it lead me to Ballos' seal chamber where I saw her demand the Demon Crown, and I was told it was the end of chapter 1. Super major glitch.

You'd better fix these glitches. I'll continue when you fix them.

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Professional Whatever
HaydenStudios said:
- You still haven't fixed the glitch with older Misery's sprite showing during the first shot, and then her younger sprite showing when it fades out and in.
What? I saw nothing like that.
HaydenStudios said:
- You still haven't fixed the glitch with Jenka not appearing in the Plantation until the cutscene at the beginning ends.
Fixed.
HaydenStudios said:
- The jerky camera glitch still happens at the beginning.
Which one was this? I can't remember.
HaydenStudios said:
- When I talk to that fishing Mimiga who has the same sprite as Kanpachi, you'd best use the <PRI command for him instead of the <KEY command, cause I sometimes got hit by those fish that spit bubbles at you.
Fixed.
HaydenStudios said:
- When Jenka tells you to explore up above, nothing happens when you try to talk to Jenka.
Fixed.
HaydenStudios said:
- When I go outside when I'm supposed to go to bed for the first time, the passage back in is blocked off. So I couldn't get back in, so I went out into the Plantation. Then I found a sparkly item above the door that leads to the storehouse, and it lead me to Ballos' seal chamber where I saw her demand the Demon Crown, and I was told it was the end of chapter 1. Super major glitch.
Could you tell me exactly what you did prior to this glitch happening? Everything. I can't find the problem so far.

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:27 AM
Based Member
*Yawn* I gotta go to bed, so I'll just say take a look at this to understand what I mean by the jerky camera. I'll get back to you on the other thing I did to trigger the crown creation later.

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:32 AM
Professional Whatever
Have a good sl-
Oh...oh my...
Now I understand. I'll fix it when I can.

EDIT:
Fixed errything, you can download the fixed demo on the first page.
Apparently the plantation hates flag 7950.

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:19 AM
Based Member
Before you ask, yes. I am running version 0.3b. Like last time, I'm just going to list the glitches so far before I review the rest of the mod.

Glitches:

- I still see the glitch with older Misery appearing during the first two shots of the beginning cutscene.
- I'm still having a jerky camera in the Plantation. Did you look at my FOM tutorial?
- In the rest area, Santa's sprite is slightly elevated. The same thing goes for the sprinkler manager.
- Sorry, I meant to point this out on the previous release. When you initially arrive at the hideout, there's no dialog for the NPC Jenka or the NPC of the Mimiga who introduces you to the place.
- So, I um... When I was supposed to be going to bed for the firs time, I was able to go out into the Plantation and um, I found a um... I found a sparkly item. And it uh, took me to... Ballos' seal chamber where I fought his second form. The reason I know this is a glitch is because it is impossible to beat him. I can't jump high enough to shoot him. So, yeah. You might wanna fix that.

I've told this to hate9, I've told it to DualHack, I've told it to CommanderJersy, and I'll tell a slightly moderated version of it to you. The idea is to test your mod after you think you've fixed a glitch. It never goes well to change your code and assume that the glitch won't occur again. It's always best to test your mod to make sure that the bug has actually been fixed. Thorough testing is the key here. I saw little of it in JNR, and I see little of it here.

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:19 AM
Professional Whatever
HaydenStudios said:
- I still see the glitch with older Misery appearing during the first two shots of the beginning cutscene.
That doesn't make any sense at all. I'm not sure what you're doing but in the script it uses young Misery's face. I've also tested it many times and it always works.
HaydenStudios said:
- I'm still having a jerky camera in the Plantation. Did you look at my FOM tutorial?
Oh...oh my...
Now I understand. I'll fix it when I can.
YES, I saw it. I don't know what's wrong with the camera in plantation but I'll take a look.
HaydenStudios said:
- In the rest area, Santa's sprite is slightly elevated. The same thing goes for the sprinkler manager.
I am aware.
HaydenStudios said:
- Sorry, I meant to point this out on the previous release. When you initially arrive at the hideout, there's no dialog for the NPC Jenka or the NPC of the Mimiga who introduces you to the place.
I'll get to that...eventually.
HaydenStudios said:
- So, I um... When I was supposed to be going to bed for the firs time, I was able to go out into the Plantation and um, I found a um... I found a sparkly item. And it uh, took me to... Ballos' seal chamber where I fought his second form. The reason I know this is a glitch is because it is impossible to beat him. I can't jump high enough to shoot him. So, yeah. You might wanna fix that.
That doesn't make any sense. I tested it and it worked perfectly, I don't know how you did that.
HaydenStudios said:
I've told this to hate9, I've told it to DualHack, I've told it to CommanderJersy, and I'll tell a slightly moderated version of it to you. The idea is to test your mod after you think you've fixed a glitch. It never goes well to change your code and assume that the glitch won't occur again. It's always best to test your mod to make sure that the bug has actually been fixed. Thorough testing is the key here. I saw little of it in JNR, and I see little of it here.
But I DID. I tested it a lot to make sure it worked. The <FOM thing I guess I didn't notice.

Mar 10, 2012 at 3:16 PM
Based Member
MagicDoors said:
That doesn't make any sense at all. I'm not sure what you're doing but in the script it uses young Misery's face. I've also tested it many times and it always works.
Alright, let me spell it out for you. If you don't notice, then zoom in.
Miserysgrowthspert.jpg

MagicDoors said:
YES, I saw it. I don't know what's wrong with the camera in plantation but I'll take a look.

I am aware.
Oh, sorry. At first I thought you were referring to the sparkly item glitch.

MagicDoors said:
I'll get to that...eventually.
Ok. The next release might not be a bad time.
MagicDoors said:
That doesn't make any sense. I tested it and it worked perfectly, I don't know how you did that.
So, I looked through your code to find that none of the scripts set that flag. I checked for the sparkly item at certain points to realize that it first appears after Jenka tells you good job for using the leaf blade. There's no <FL+ for that entity, but that event set that flag id for some reason none the less. When I was debugging my mod, I sometimes encountered a glitch where a flag that I could have sworn wasn't set turned out to be. The most I can say for you to do for this is to add <FL-7948 right before the <END of event 202 in the Plantation.

MagicDoors said:
But I DID. I tested it a lot to make sure it worked. The <FOM thing I guess I didn't notice.
Alright, sorry for being cynical.

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Professional Whatever
HaydenStudios said:
Alright, let me spell it out for you. If you don't notice, then zoom in.
Miserysgrowthspert.jpg
Ohh, that. I thought you meant the faceset for misery. I'll fix that.

HaydenStudios said:
So, I looked through your code to find that none of the scripts set that flag. I checked for the sparkly item at certain points to realize that it first appears after Jenka tells you good job for using the leaf blade. There's no <FL+ for that entity, but that event set that flag id for some reason none the less. When I was debugging my mod, I sometimes encountered a glitch where a flag that I could have sworn wasn't set turned out to be. The most I can say for you to do for this is to add <FL-7948 right before the <END of event 202 in the Plantation.
I'll try it out.

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:21 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
I think I know what's wrong. There's probably nothing wrong with your TSC, but using flags from somewhere around 8000 and up can trigger really weird things in your mod. If you know what you're doing, you can manipulate this to your advantage, but just using flags that high just willy-nilly is not a good idea.

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:29 AM
Based Member
I actually generated a flag listing of his mod in Noxid's TSC editor, to find that the only flag used that's above 7999 is one pre existing in Cave Story. So, that's not what causes this. I was not aware you were able to use this to your advantage, however. How can this benefit you?