Misery and Balrog's Relationship

Jul 31, 2010 at 3:32 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Looking through my notes over the Cave story background, I realise that I've made a small error on the era that my theory takes place:

According to Curly's memories, the Island was already being torn apart when they (Quote and Curly) got there. Meaning that potentially, Quote and Curly were sent on what could ammount to a Black ops mission, she makes no mention of Balrog. Meaning Balrog could have been on Island before Curly and Quote got there, possibly killing off mimigas. However, since there is no evidence of that, either, I'll assume that Curly just doesn't think about how they got there due to all her memories coming back in a rush and pretend Balrog helped them get up there, as Balrog can fit two scout robots on his head without them falling off..

Secondly, 10 years ago was not the Third King's reign, but somewhere near the Second King's, because the robots stopped killing everything when a human got his hands on the crown. And since Miakid's a human... Basically Miakid killed (or possibly not - there is no mention of the Second King, who's name I can't even begin to pronounce, being alive during this time period, but it's more awsome to think they battled eachother so the fight is now in my canon) the Second King to get his hands on the crown. Balrog could have possibly helped Miakid do this, hence why he was a slave to the crown - because Miakid may have 'rewarded' Balrog with eternal servitude to his cause. And then Miakid began the whole 'lets grow red flowers to destroy the world' thing, leading to his rumble with Quote and Curly, getting himself nearly killed (Curly specifically remembers really hurting the guy) before bringing the smackdown on the two robots. Then my 'Arthur cuts his head off' bit comes in.

Sep 27, 2010 at 8:00 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
About the origins of Balrog, while the 'former lover/brother' idea is pretty interesting (if you can transform a toaster into a frog, you can transform a human into a toaster), there's no requirement for either role to exist...

While my favourite pet theory is that the Hermit from the start of the game is Jenka's hasubando and thus Misery's father, it's also possible that we could fill this role with Balrog. This would put an interesting spin of what the horror's of the demon crown produce considering the scene where Balrog beats Jenka down.

Alternatively though, if Balrog were Misery's brother, then Pooh could be their father.