misconceptions you had about the game/characters the very first time you played

May 15, 2020 at 9:31 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
to start, i initially thought king’s name was toroko. toroko sounded masculine to me, so, you can imagine my confusion the first time i got into the game.

May 15, 2020 at 9:52 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
i initially thought king’s name was toroko.
King's first line: Give me the key, Toroko!
I genuinely want to know how you thought so when he was clearly addressing that name to the mimiga he's saying that line to.

May 15, 2020 at 11:07 AM
"Huzzah!"
I thought Quote and Curly were human, even after they mentioned them being robots, thinking it was a mistake.

May 15, 2020 at 11:56 AM
"Huzzah!"
i thought nicalis' curly story would be good HAhaha

that aside, i think it did take me a while to figure out sue was originally human.
i played most of my first run in class at school, so i didn't pay as close attention to the dialogue as i could've, i thought she was a mimiga the sakamotos had adopted or something (in my defence i was stuck on the balcony boss rush, so i never saw the credits until i redownloaded it a couple years or so later and finally beat it, though by that point i knew)

May 15, 2020 at 12:24 PM
CSE Discord Admin
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I didn't realise Toroko died. Judging by the sound, I thought she was just teleported away. It actually took me several playthroughs to finally notice. Kinda depressing, realising she was dead all along - it was like a dramatic plot-twist or something.

May 15, 2020 at 1:14 PM
"Huzzah!"
Quote's sprite always confused me for some reason. It's hard to explain, but I thought his face was different by looking at it. Am I the only one who had this problem?

May 15, 2020 at 3:59 PM
War criminal
Here's a misconception I had when I played Cave Story in 2012. I thought Quote had to wear Curly's panties in order to unlock Curly Story. Granted, the only version I had on me at the time was the DSi version, meaning I couldn't unlock it anyway. But then I also thought the "They serve no use." line for the panties' description was exclusive to the DSi port.

May 16, 2020 at 1:33 AM
Based Member
My first playthrough, I thought Curly was some sort of anthropomorphic cat creature, and that her antenna was actually a partially obscured pair of headphones. It wasn't until the credit art images started rolling that I realized she was a humanoid robot like Quote, at which point I finally understood why she had near equal combat capability to Quote, and finally understood why her death was so sad.

May 16, 2020 at 5:11 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I thought ballos was made of metal or something. Probably because of when you would shoot at him before talking, it would make the *tink* sound when you hit metallic things.

May 16, 2020 at 5:20 AM
"Huzzah!"
that's pretty reasonable
Another one I had, and had for many demos, was that if you beat it in a certain way you get the game for free.
I was half right.
The game is actually free.

May 26, 2020 at 6:27 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I though Sue was a boy at first, funny because I kinda shipped Quote and Sue at the start before hearing that she's a child.

May 26, 2020 at 6:49 PM
War criminal
I kinda shipped Quote and Sue at the start before hearing that she's a child.
Just use the Red Crystal on her, or feed her some red flowers. Big BRAAAAAIIIIIN.

[/sarcasm]

May 28, 2020 at 8:42 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I though Sue was a boy at first, funny because I kinda shipped Quote and Sue at the start before hearing that she's a child.
I mean Sue has been on the island before Quote so she's basically a teenager. Quote is designed to be a middle school robot kid.

So you can still ship them but it probadly wont be canon (exept for that part where Mahin said "What is it a love letter?" when Quote is sent to the Doctor's jail for mimigas and robots (a name which I came up with.)

May 28, 2020 at 9:34 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I'd really like to know how you came up with the assumption.
Because if you look at Quote ingame (and possibly the outside media and credits scene.) Quote kinda resembles as a anime middle school robot boy.

May 28, 2020 at 9:41 PM
War criminal
Ah yes, the vague age by appearance trope in Japan. You can look like a buff man in your 30s while really you're 17 (Jotaro Kujo), or you can look like a 10 year old while really you're 18 (Konata Izumi). Or you can a perfect 10 body with large tiddies while really you're 14 (Yoko Littner). Quote do be looking like a useless midget in Crystal Crisis, tho.

May 28, 2020 at 10:57 PM
"Huzzah!"
Because if you look at Quote ingame (and possibly the outside media and credits scene.) Quote kinda resembles as a anime middle school robot boy.

so does curly, who we can assume was built the same way/by the same people as quote, and she considers herself a mother to the colons, not a big sister or anything (although that could just be what they started calling her, not a title she chose for herself, but still)

May 28, 2020 at 11:28 PM
War criminal
Anyone can be a mother if they believe hard enough. Even the little sister that wants to boss her older brother around.

May 30, 2020 at 9:48 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
It's been ages since I first played, but I *think* I restarted the game after Toroko died, thinking there might be a way to save her. Not 100% sure, though I know that I broke down and looked up if there was a way to save Curly when she ended up dying as well. I was like, no way, this isn't going to happen again. Then I had to restart the game again to save her xD
Worth it

(Although Hell was a bad time... :muscledoc:)

May 30, 2020 at 11:57 PM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
The first time I saw Cave Story's icon was on the Nintendo DSi Shop, and I thought Quote was a gas station attendant holding a blue gas pump.