Mar 12, 2020 at 3:25 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Made in PMD98 Music Macro Language to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the Windows original.
Higher-quality version can be found on Nico Nico.

I submitted this for consideration to an ongoing Cave Story 15th-anniv. collaboration album project coordinated by music producer Gamma Reflector. Details of the project –as well as a Google Docs link to the signup sheet– are pinned on this forum’s Discord server (visible only to verified server members to prevent spam/vandalism by outsiders).

Mar 12, 2020 at 3:55 AM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Writing music in the pc98 format has always been something I've wanted to do, but I never really can find any good way to start.

I've got a hunch there's no way it's even remotely as intuitive as composing in pxtone or orgmaker though.

Mar 12, 2020 at 4:16 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Writing music in the pc98 format has always been something I've wanted to do, but I never really can find any good way to start.

I've got a hunch there's no way it's even remotely as intuitive as composing in pxtone or orgmaker though.
Are you familiar with tracker software (like FamiTracker or DefleMask, for example)? There is one in active development called BambooTracker, which does a good job at emulating the YM2608 soundchip found on PC-98 computers. Only that it cannot yet emulate the iconic PMD98 drums that play on PSG channel #3 (unless you figure out how to express them using raw square+noise notes & pitch-bends), but at least it’s more intuitive than MML coding (which involves writing BASIC-like code on a plain-text editor like Notepad and feeding the code to a command-line compiler that must be run through a DOS emulator since you can’t run it on Windows Command Prompt)… if you train yourself to read music in a vertical (rather than horizontal) direction.

Mar 12, 2020 at 6:47 PM
Stoned Member
Agh, trackers, the bane of my existence.

I'll fiddle with this a bit to see if I can make anything decent with it.

Mar 12, 2020 at 9:59 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
PMD-like drum sounds are included, in the demo inst folder (Bambootracker\demos\instruments\Rerrah\PMD-like Drums.btb) no clue how accurate they are but they do exist, Also in the Development builds theres adpcm support which could also be helpful

Mar 13, 2020 at 12:00 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Also, regarding that 15th anniversary collab album project I mentioned up, there: it is multi-genre (not restricted to any single genre like chiptune, EDM, rock, symphonic, etc.), so even if you can’t yet make a PC-98-style arrange, you can still do something with the tools you already know and make a new arrange of your own for the collab if you wish. Even you could come up with a hybrid style combining chiptune (PC-98 or not) with non-chiptune because why not? (Or maybe fake the chiptune style with a VST like VOPM or GXSCC on FL Studio if you feel like it LOL, you will still be welcome!)

Mar 13, 2020 at 2:19 AM
Stoned Member
I'd be interested in contributing but there's people like me who aren't in the CSTSF Discord server and thus can't really get to the docs link.

Mar 13, 2020 at 3:39 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ah, I see. You can either click on the first invite link posted on this thread or, if reluctant to do so, I can join your Xysspon server and from there DM you the link, whichever suits you best.