Miscellaneous Hacking-Related Tidbits

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:01 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Exactly What It Says On The Tin. I've found only the most minor things (such as translations for the "gibberish" in some of the scripts), but I'm like 95% sure nobody else has discovered them. Most of them. And maybe I might call attention to something that causes a hacking revolution... in my dreams.

I have bigger hopes for this than my unsung discovery of the real name of King's Theme, however, because you guys are gonna be contributing too. Place any minor but interesting things you've discovered that won't fit anywhere else here. Don't be shy: anything might lead to a breakthrough of some sort, or at least be interesting.

Okay, so, I'll start:

Head: The gibberish after Almond is the Japanese word "Drowning", or "Flood". Or "Shipwreck". Likely Flood. If that helps.

Weapons: Only the missiles have flag 0x10 set. Does this determine whether they explode or something?

Sound Effects: Found a "mod" of a mod with a console that plays all the sound effects back to back. May be useful for determining what's what.

Credits: The gibberish at the bottom is Japanese for "Curly Ending".

MazeI: Gibberish is Japanese for "First Arrival" (0640), "Door Open" (0641), and "Life Capsule" (0642). Ehe... It just occurred to me Pixel was marking his flags... But I only see 0641...

Hell3: "#301focus" ...Whatever that is. I once dug through the Hacking forum, against my own will because everything looked interesting, and I didn't see this mentioned, so I'm calling attention to it.

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:39 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Well you don't really need to do that back to back sound thing, 'cause if you use the sound pushing program, it'll save all of the sounds in a chosen folder, and in their names, there'll be the ID. The ID numbers for the sounds are in hex, but with the hex editor I've got, you can actually use the 'Go to Offset____" tool as a decimal to hex or vice versa converter.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:43 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Uncy Dave said:
but with the hex editor I've got, you can actually use the 'Go to Offset____" tool as a decimal to hex or vice versa converter.

Or you could use the "Calculator" program that comes with most window's computers (assuming you're using windows) and just switch it to scientific mode so that you can switch between hex and dec easily, and even perform calculations in either if needed.

Also I was going to say this thread is a lot like the "offsets" thread, but that thread is more or less about assembly hacking and such (what I'd call real hacking, no offense) but since the stuff jackalope posted to start us off with is all script related and such, it makes sense for this topic to exist.

...speaking of the offsets thread I probably have a crapload of stuff that I could post there.

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:02 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Regarding the drowned/flood scribble at the bottom of Head.tsc...
IIRC the word Almond proceeds it, as well as 4000.
I did a little investigation, and it turns out that, if flag 4000 is set and you drown on the named map (Almond), it runs event 1100.
:/

Also, though not really hacking-related, this is an interesting piece from Dark Place (Drain):
Code:
<PRI<MSGYou see a button.<NOD<SOU0043<CLR<MSGPressed it.<NOD<CLO
<WAI0050
<SOU0071
<CMP0007:0035:0000
<CMP0008:0035:0000
<CMP0026:0031:0111
<WAI0050<END
<END

For two reasons:
- <END is used twice. Why?
- The <CMPs refer to a location FAR below the bottom edge of the map. My guess is Dark Place was MUCH larger at some point.

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:28 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
DragonBoots said:
I did a little investigation, and it turns out that, if flag 4000 is set and you drown on the named map (Almond), it runs event 1100.
:/

1. I thought people knew this.
2. It doesn't matter which map you're in, so long as that flag is set and you drown, event 1100 will run.

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:07 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
1. I thought people knew this.
2. It doesn't matter which map you're in, so long as that flag is set and you drown, event 1100 will run.

To be fair, when I was looking through the forums for drown scripts, the best I could find was a thread with jacob saying that you can only have drown events in almond, which is why I had to open your mod to find out how to do it.