Mirai Gamer is under attack by Spam Bots!

Jan 26, 2007 at 7:19 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Yes, unfortunately it is true. I suppose it was only a matter of time before the robots started to show up here in mass numbers. It seems that the recent adjustment of the Cave Story forum so that it is easier on people who do not wish to undergo the usergroup process in order to post has simply helped this along to make it easier for the spambots to register. I've deleted and banned the ips of the robots I've found so far and have made things more difficult for them by setting up registration parameters, but the spam robot technology is getting more and more crafty as they were able to get through the image verification system vbulletin had in place as well.

For the time being there is a hold on all new registrations and each one from here on will unfortunately have to undergo a verification process in which I'll need to verify that they are allowed to post. Currently, having never done this procedure before, I have no idea what kind of questions or proof that this verifcation process will send to me validating that they are indeed a real person, but after I start getting a few it will help me understand this registration verification system a bit more.

If all else fails, then I'm simply going to have to appoint one or two mods to watch over the forum (Not just the Cave Story sections) and delete the spammed messages. It has been a frustrating process for me since I don't always get over here to eliminate the spam posts and it become irritating when I do see them after not being around for awhile. It makes them all the much harder to track down.

I apologize for the inconvenience of these spam robots and I hope you will continue to enjoy the forums.

-Thomas
(SkyeWelse)

Jan 29, 2007 at 12:04 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
SkyeWelse said:
Yes, unfortunately it is true. I suppose it was only a matter of time before the robots started to show up here in mass numbers. It seems that the recent adjustment of the Cave Story forum so that it is easier on people who do not wish to undergo the usergroup process in order to post has simply helped this along to make it easier for the spambots to register.

Robots from the Surface going to kill poor Mimigas :'(
No, seriously it was quite annoying and I hope it stops now, there is a "Report bad Post" thing at the Right top of each post.
Arent there already 2 Mods?

SkyeWelse said:
I apologize for the inconvenience of these spam robots and I hope you will continue to enjoy the forums.

No spambot has the power to make me leave the Forums :confused:

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:04 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Actually, the mods that you see listed are no longer active here at the forums. So in a sense, there is really just myself and one other admin who checks out the forums from time to time.

I appreciate you pointing some of these spam instances out to me via private message SeriousFace.

-SkyeWelse

Feb 1, 2007 at 2:30 AM
Hoxtilicious
SkyeWelse said:
I appreciate you pointing some of these spam instances out to me via private message SeriousFace.

Uh? I'am not SeriousFace :confused: Its-a me ShInInG PhAnToM!
Otherwise I'am not sure if you did talking to me.

Feb 1, 2007 at 4:33 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Sorry I got your name confused. I seem to do that a lot with your two names in particular. lol Perhaps I should call you by one entity, SeriousShiningPhantomFace. : )

-SkyeWelse

Feb 1, 2007 at 7:56 PM
Hoxtilicious
SkyeWelse said:
Sorry I got your name confused. I seem to do that a lot with your two names in particular. lol Perhaps I should call you by one entity, SeriousShiningPhantomFace. : )

-SkyeWelse

lol I hope Serious will read that. ;)
Entity? Thank you nice idea for a Cave Story mod even :(
Reminds me of my teacher who sometimes mix up my class mates names uhhh :confused: