mind adding a new option for the Linux download?

Feb 8, 2015 at 12:49 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
As it seems someone acctually gone through all the trouble of porting Cave Story to Linux, but I think this is not needed anymore.
There is a tool called wine, which can execute windows applications on linux. it is no emulator, therefor it enables applications and games from windows to run flawless any natively on linux.
I just testet Wine with cave story (not the ported version) on Linux and it worked perfectly. This method should also work with mods, which means that you wouldn't need to port them to linux. You also wouldn't n need to create an extra projekt so people using linux could run your mod. I really would appreciate it, if someone could write "windows version works with wine" or something along the lines at the linux section of the download, because it would signalize Linux users that they can also run the game (with the same profile.dat), as well as every mod on the showcase board

Here is the video of me trying out the normal cave story version on linux using wine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXp7Le52JZk

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:02 AM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
It works with macs, to. Don't forget the macs, even though I don't use them.

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:34 AM
Bionicobot said:
It works with macs, to. Don't forget the macs, even though I don't use them.

you mean using wine on macs to run the original windows cavestory game? yeah, i new that, there just is no officiall wine build for macs, so i didn't include it. thank you anyways.

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:11 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
The title mentions adding a new option, but it doesn't seem like you elaborate on that, unless I missed something...

In any case, I don't think there's much sense in condemning the Linux version simply because Wine exists. For those who don't know about or don't want to use Wine, the Linux version will do just fine! Besides, Parzer and Mackay probably went through a fair amount of trouble to make the Linux port, and it isn't hurting anything to have the download there. Why exactly is it not needed and what would you suggest be done about it? Removing it would be silly.

I understand that English isn't your native language, so my apologies if I misinterpreted something. If all you're suggesting with this thread is that a note should be added about Wine's existence, then that isn't a bad idea...but I don't really see why it's necessary, either.

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:23 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
"Running the game with wine" is not a Linux port, hence why it's not under the Linux section. People who are using a Linux probably already know (and ought to) about wine and how it can be used for windows executables, but that doesn't make wine a replacement for every Linux port of a program. Why would you emulate windows when you can just run the program natively? Do you enjoy using more CPU to do the same things?

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:06 AM
Polaris said:
If all you're suggesting with this thread is that a note should be added about Wine's existence, then that isn't a bad idea...but I don't really see why it's necessary, either.
Well, there are a few problems with the Linux port. Like: you cannot use any save games from the windows or the mac version, because there is no profile.dat, and i can't seem to find a way of converting them. The linux version itself relys on wine, if you do not have wine installed, you cannot use the doConfig file in it. This makes it rather pointless to have a linux version if you cannot use the config for it.

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Why would you emulate windows when you can just run the program natively? Do you enjoy using more CPU to do the same things?
W(ine)I(s)N(o)E(mulator). Using 3% more cpu is not that bad for being abled to use the save games from http://www.cavestory.org/download/saves.php.
And you need to have wine installed to run the linux version anyways, otherwise you couldn't use the doConfig in the linux port

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:43 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Quote99 said:
Well, there are a few problems with the Linux port. Like: you cannot use any save games from the windows or the mac version, because there is no profile.dat, and i can't seem to find a way of converting them.
Have you tried loading CS Linux, saving, and then searching for the file? Profile.dat is only available after you first save the game.

Quote99 said:
Using 3% more cpu is not that bad for being abled to use the save games from http://www.cavestory.org/download/saves.php.
My understanding was that the save files were exactly the same for every single freeware CS port besides the Mac port. If it isn't in the same directory as the game executable then it will be saving the file somewhere else, but I highly doubt that the name or format of the save file will be any different.

Quote99 said:
The linux version itself relys on wine, if you do not have wine installed, you cannot use the doConfig file in it. This makes it rather pointless to have a linux version if you cannot use the config for it.
Quote99 said:
And you need to have wine installed to run the linux version anyways, otherwise you couldn't use the doConfig in the linux port
*sigh* Ever noticed the separate linux native DoConfig? You should probably use that. I would have thought that to be obvious.

Quote99 said:
W(ine)I(s)N(o)E(mulator).
It doesn't emulate windows, it emulates the environment for windows programs (to put it simply), that is still an emulator. The acronym is more targeted at the typical but flawed perception of what emulation is.

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ?action=recall&rev=217#head-98981814b705b4f2edb547a425bc42ead2a3d748

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:53 PM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
I think that literally everyone who knows about linux knows of wine. But i have found that a program known as "Playonlinux" works better. It's built on wine though.

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:13 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Well, if you're using Linux maybe you also time traveled to 2003?