Metroid Engine (Sr388)

Oct 6, 2015 at 4:27 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Anyone here like Metroid?

I have this engine in progress, but there are so many possibilities I don't know where to take it.

I need ideas. Story, design, power ups, just ideas. Throw that shit out there, I'll be sure to give some things a try. A setting for the game, the main antagonists, the plot, lots of things aren't in the clear yet. I just want to hear your educated opinions about what you want in an exploration game, and how you want the game executed. This may seem vague, but that's because my mind IS vague. I'm lost, there's so many possibilities and so few of them are actually plausible.

What do you want in a Metroid game? What defines a Metroid game? What to focus on?

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:53 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Do things in this order:
Powerups > Level Design > Monsters > Atmospherics, Visuals and Sound > Story/Plot > Bosses

Stop focusing so much on the story. You can easily work out a story later. You can build 90% of a Metroid game before a story even becomes an issue.

The most important thing in a Metroidvania game is to reward exploration.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2015 at 4:58 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Do things in this order:
Powerups > Level Design > Monsters > Atmospherics, Visuals and Sound > Story/Plot > Bosses

Stop focusing so much on the story. You can easily work out a story later. You can build 90% of a Metroid game before a story even becomes an issue.

The most important thing in a Metroidvania game is to reward exploration.

Well how do you design the levels and areas without knowing the world's background and what/where/why/how? I can't just throw random caves together and hope for them to become engaging without something to raise the stakes; to give the player meaning. Take Metroid Prime for example; look at all the environmental details that reveal an underlying story? The environment and the story are basically one entity. Designing such a game must be a feat. I'm worried simply because I don't want to put in so much effort into a game that will become nothing but Super Metroid 2.0.

Oct 7, 2015 at 2:18 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Setting Idea: Space Pirate home world.

Have Samus finally pick up a bounty on Ridley. Open the game with a crash landing where Samus attempts to access the planet and is shot down. Have the final area only accessable by ship, and require Samus to find the parts to fix it.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2015 at 4:13 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Hmm... If you are making this yourself, you could turn it into your own game. That way you could make it easier to create a story, and allows for more creativity. If you still want to make a Metroid fan game, that's fine too. It's just a bit more confining. I support you and your project regardless of your choice though!

Mar 14, 2016 at 6:31 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This engine has progressed immensely

Logbook/Status:

Combos:

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2016 at 1:58 AM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Dang this is looking great!

Mar 26, 2016 at 1:31 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The next update will take a while.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2016 at 7:37 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
FYI Physix had edited all their posts and replaced them with "." for some reason. But there's a reason we don't allow users to delete threads.

@Physix if you try that again I'll revert them all AND you'll get a temp-ban. Maybe speak to a moderator next time before trying to nuke a thread.

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:20 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Video removed. Please keep it removed.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2016 at 2:05 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
What is the engine written in? Just out of curiousity.

Apr 9, 2016 at 10:10 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
What is the engine written in? Just out of curiousity.
Game Maker Studio. That, and I removed the video. Sorry, but half the stuff in it wasn't mine to use. I can't have it be seen anymore.

Apr 23, 2016 at 6:01 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Honestly nobody should even be seeing this.

p214648-0-e7d96c65c933b7c350b3ef804d01a8a2.gif