Meaningful Conversation Thread

Apr 4, 2016 at 11:36 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
But really why would you guys waste your time modding something else when you could be making original content.
But that's pretty much the CS Modding community, but don't tell them I said that. We don't want to have their feelings hurt, do we?

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:28 AM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
But that's pretty much the CS Modding community, but don't tell them I said that. We don't want to have their feelings hurt, do we?
(I knew this reply would happen) Well, Cave-Story isn't designed to allow people to make original (commercial) content. RPG-Maker is though.

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:45 AM
War criminal
(I knew this reply would happen) Well, Cave-Story isn't designed to allow people to make original (commercial) content. RPG-Maker is though.
Wait, you can monetize off RPG Maker games? I really want RPG Maker now!

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:49 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
But really why would you guys waste your time modding something else when you could be making original content.
Modding is usually created for the purpose of those who want more from a game they already have beaten.

Apr 5, 2016 at 3:48 AM
Stoned Member
Wait, you can monetize off RPG Maker games? I really want RPG Maker now!
Yeah, as long as you don't use ANY of the base resources, that includes the character generator.

I still personally reccomend MV, it's just... nice, In general.

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:35 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Yeah, as long as you don't use ANY of the base resources, that includes the character generator.

I still personally reccomend MV, it's just... nice, In general.
That's... not true at all? You're allowed to use the base assets, provided that you use them in an RPG maker game (you can't use them in any other engine).

I mean, that's what they're there for. Why else would they bundle them with the engine?

Can I sell my games created with RPG Maker XP/VX and its game materials included in (or added on to) the software?

Yes, you can distribute games you created with RPG Maker XP/VX or IG Maker, using its included (or added on) materials, as freeware or commercial ware. You are also allowed to modify the materials with other software such as Photoshop, provided they are only used within RPG Maker or IG Maker software, and not sold/or distributed. You can also include your own graphics and music if you wish. Please ensure that those games do not include any material which infringe others' rights.

Please note that any modification of the exe, dll, or other game files generated by RPG Maker or IG Maker is forbidden. Also, you may not use the materials included in the software (or add-on package) within other game engines or software.
(from http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/support/products/faqs )

Apr 5, 2016 at 6:09 AM
Assistance
I love how meaningful this is

Apr 5, 2016 at 6:46 AM
Stoned Member
That's... not true at all? You're allowed to use the base assets, provided that you use them in an RPG maker game (you can't use them in any other engine).

I mean, that's what they're there for. Why else would they bundle them with the engine?

(from http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/support/products/faqs )
Oh.... Oh!... Well damn, I actually thought I had to make completely original assets. Well!...
But in my honest opinion, I prefer making original assets, it just feels better that way, probably that "feel good sense" from doing something completely on your own.

Apr 5, 2016 at 7:02 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Oh.... Oh!... Well damn, I actually thought I had to make completely original assets. Well!...
But in my honest opinion, I prefer making original assets, it just feels better that way, probably that "feel good sense" from doing something completely on your own.

If you're looking to make something commercial it is generally better to make your own assets, since using the stock assets can be seen as unoriginal. IMO the base assets have a sort of "generic" feel about them, which isn't something you want for a game's aesthetic.

May 1, 2016 at 6:46 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Wow, this is actually a meaningful discussion.

If you're looking to make something commercial it is generally better to make your own assets, since using the stock assets can be seen as unoriginal. IMO the base assets have a sort of "generic" feel about them, which isn't something you want for a game's aesthetic.

It's not impossible to make a good game with them, but don't expect to make much out of it.
People judge by the cover y'know.

May 2, 2016 at 2:06 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I've always wanted to make a game in RPG maker but unfortunately I suck at RPGs. Meaning that I probably wouldn't be able to beat my own friggin game.

May 2, 2016 at 3:31 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
That's what the glory of having play-testers are for.

Also, have someone who's good at breaking games. These guys are like a godsend for debugging.

May 2, 2016 at 3:46 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
I've always wanted to make a game in RPG maker but unfortunately I suck at RPGs. Meaning that I probably wouldn't be able to beat my own friggin game.
If I'm correct, the people at GameFreak must complete the Pokedex in the newest game as part of their job?

May 2, 2016 at 4:36 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
OK yeah he doesn't need to be an expert but uh I think you should at least be familiar with a genre before you try to work in it

Unless you want to do something revolutionary and break all the rules but that takes a special kind of crazy

May 2, 2016 at 7:00 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"

get other people to playtest your game.

problem solved.

May 2, 2016 at 7:34 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I could always test it for you, but the way you say you wanted to do it makes it kinda sound like you haven't started working on it though.

Nov 2, 2018 at 2:56 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
DAMN IT!!! You beat me to the punch! I was going to make a "meaningful conversation thread" of my own! But then, I saw this thread...

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 5:20 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Yeah you're only... Three years too late