Martini symbol?

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:07 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Anyone notice the martini symbol above curly's door in sandzone? What does it mean?

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:32 PM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I don't think anyone really cares

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Oh, right in the gut...though if someone has played through the Sand Zone, I'm sure they would have seen the "martini" symbol. I've never known what it does; doesn't seem to have any significance in the game. Maybe it's a glass of red flower juice or something.

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
That would be the sign of "The Sand Bar".

To raise money for the orphaned (K/C)olans, Curly Brace holds a bi-annual "Rave for the Orphans", where she invites everyone to rave...for orphans...because that's obviously what they need. That martini sign is to help characters of the game find the right room, and overall add to the appeal and decor that Curly herself had in-visioned for the place.

~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~
In slightly more seriousness, Pixel for some reason decided to put it in that non-conspicuous spot. Maybe as a subliminal signal for new players to wander there first instead of passing it and going on to Omega's Lair.

Who's to say Pixel wasn't a master of the arts of subliminal messaging.

Oct 8, 2013 at 2:37 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Aar said:
Ouch. D:

But as for what the symbol means, I think there's two options:A, Curly's Abode used to be a watering hole or bar of some kind, because...well, Sand Zone. Travelers probably wanted water, because despite being in a cave, it's probably at least rather warm. However, during the war (or maybe before even that), it was trashed and flooded with sand, while the sign stayed for mysterious reasons. It may be an adamantium sign. Either that, or B, Pixel wanted to make sure the player was drawn to the door.

Oct 8, 2013 at 4:24 AM
hi hi
I went to the door because I thought it was a bar or something, and I hoped I will find something useful here. So it's rather just to draw attention, OR it's just a decorative tile with no function.

Oct 8, 2013 at 4:35 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Aar said:
I once got a response to this on a thread I made in theories and I'll say the same thing to this:

Your response could be used towards practically anything discussed in theories, and yet we do it anyway. Because what else is there to do?

Oct 8, 2013 at 7:34 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Maybe it used to be a bar back in an early version of Cave Story.
Or maybe it was going to be a bar and Pixel decided against it.

I find it quite odd that I've never once questioned the placement of that sign and acted like it was the most natural thing in the world. It's almost as if.. oh hey Pixel! No I'm sure they're not the droids I was looking for.

Oct 8, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Aar said:
Hey that really hurt my feelings and I'm very upset now

cool bro

Makes sense that it would be a watering hole or bar for weary travelers.

Oct 8, 2013 at 9:40 PM
War criminal
Then again, the name Curly Brace sounds like it could belong to a type of cocktail.

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:07 PM
But A.) what parent would name their child to run a cocktail bar and B.) she's a robot designed to get the demon crown. I think she's just taking shelter in an abandon bar, seeing as all of grasstown was ruins, a large part of the sandzone was ruins, and there were ruins in the labyrinth.

Edit: War happens, crap goes down, Demon crown holder defeated, place is in shambles, orphans find a nice little bar to live in, Curly happens to have been thrown/shot/whatever'd into bar and collapsed, orphans wake up curly and curly looks after orphans. thoughts?

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Maxps2 said:
But A.) what parent would name their child to run a cocktail bar...
I'm pretty sure you just combined two separate thought processes into a single broken sentence.

And Curly technically doesn't have parents, instead some group of people or a single person who built her and Quote after keyboard characters.

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Professional Whatever
I think they meant why would they name their daughter after a cocktail under the assumption that she would grow up to become a bartender.

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:40 AM
EnlightenedOne said:
I'm pretty sure you just combined two separate thought processes into a single broken sentence.
And Curly technically doesn't have parents, instead some group of people or a single person who built her and Quote after keyboard characters.
MagicDoors said:
I think they meant why would they name their daughter after a cocktail under the assumption that she would grow up to become a bartender.
You're both right, and still, if you build a robot to defeat a demon lord, you're not gonna name it a cocktail

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:57 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
It's interesting because I hadn't given that symbol much thought either. Pixel does have a way of drawing they players' attention to important things like that door. And I agree, it could very well have been a bar at some point.

If there isn't a drink IRL named the Curly Brace, then there should be. :p

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:57 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
I Agree with enlightened one. Though I don't know the story reason behind the sign, I think pixel put it there so everyone would go in there instead of walking top the remainder of the sand zone on the right.

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:06 AM
Does that make me a moron for still walking to the sandzone anyway?

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:19 AM
Maxps2 said:
Does that make me a moron for still walking to the sandzone anyway?
Nope, it just means you are clean and free from the invisible psychological strings which bind us all.

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:24 AM
EnlightenedOne said:
Nope, it just means you are clean and free from the invisible psychological strings which bind us all.
HAHA! I can decide to wander into a dangerous desert instead of going into a bar with a hot chick if I want too!

wait.....

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Hyperbolic
It's maybe because that I'm weird but somehow I had a theory that Curly Brace was involved in a... "less moral job" in order to raise the money to feed the mimiga children - and thought that finding the panties too somehow related to that. Other thought was that the place was a pub.