Malco('s) Story Demo 1 - FEATURING: STUFF

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:53 AM
leader of the meme team feat. tom, snaf and polad
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Demo 1, V.1

p179072-1-m9b9arx.png

p179072-2-awiqc9a.png

p179072-3-jbfrqif.png

I'd post more media but it's late so I'm going to go pass out, but the mod should be self explanatory.

Tell me if there's something you like/dislike/there's a bug/etc because it's not done yet, yadda yadda

And in the same vein as the title screen mentioned above, everything is subject to change.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2014 at 5:20 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
to begin, just looking at your title screen I can tell you you need a new one
I'd suggest actually using a font, I understand that you may not have one suitable for your needs installed on your computer, but the internet is filled with all kinds of fonts. If you can't find one you like installed, check online. Another thing is that MALCO's mychar looks weird, again only looking from the screenshot: I mean, there's enough room to have his whole head there. Why is it squished?

I've yet to actually play it, these are just my very first impressions from only looking at the screenshots.

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:26 AM
Dunc2403 said:
to begin, just looking at your title screen I can tell you you need a new one
I'd suggest actually using a font, I understand that you may not have one suitable for your needs installed on your computer, but the internet is filled with all kinds of fonts. If you can't find one you like installed, check online.
Heh. I figured I should mention this upfront; the title isn't neccesarily finished. I just didn't want to have no title for the Demo. Should've stated it outright, huh?

Another thing is that MALCO's mychar looks weird, again only looking from the screenshot: I mean, there's enough room to have his whole head there. Why is it squished?
There's really not. I tried to make his body more into proportion with the MyChar space to compensate, in ways like shrinking his eyes and removing his neck, but I agree that it does look off.

If it's any consolation, it happens immedietly after Balrog squishes him, so that could be seen as an excuse :debug:

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:29 AM
Perpetually out of it
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Well all the new sound effects are all new, but not all are necessarily fresh. I dunno really, the jumping sound effect and the exp bouncing sound effect kinda grind on my ears. Also I like the humor-ish direction this mod is going in.
Some things I found:
- There's a random block floating in the ground in the first room. I checked the map, and since it isn't marked, I assume it's just something left over.
- At the end near the 'death' pit (cleverly evil, I might mention) the slope leads to a block, so some players might want to be able to just walk over it instead, since it isn't really visible

Is this mod canon?

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:47 AM
Nadojin said:
Well all the new sound effects are all new, but not all are necessarily fresh. I dunno really, the jumping sound effect and the exp bouncing sound effect kinda grind on my ears. Also I like the humor-ish direction this mod is going in.
Some things I found:
- There's a random block floating in the ground in the first room. I checked the map, and since it isn't marked, I assume it's just something left over.
- At the end near the 'death' pit (cleverly evil, I might mention) the slope leads to a block, so some players might want to be able to just walk over it instead, since it isn't really visible

Is this mod canon?
Which room is the first you're referring to? The start point, the technical first room, or the first room you enter, the old building?

If it's the Former, it is left over. It was placed there to distinguish between two identical copies of Malco's Power Room for testing. If the Latter, I wasn't aware that there was a random block, and I'll look into it.

As for the deathpit, thanks for telling me, I'll change it asap.

And is it canon? I dunno. I feel like I've designed it cleverly enough to allow the possibility of it being canon. Specific events from the normal game still occur, and interactions with sidecharacters (Chaco, Santa etc) are all within the realm of possibility for the actual story.

So although it technically isn't canon, you could totally consider it happening within CaveStory. It's not neccesarily removed from the actual plot...just seperate.

Edit:
oh jesus I never included "Demo" in the title. I feel like a fool.

Sorry for being misleading.

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:32 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Nadojin said:
Is this mod canon?
PolarStarGames said:
And is it canon? I dunno. I feel like I've designed it cleverly enough to allow the possibility of it being canon. Specific events from the normal game still occur, and interactions with sidecharacters (Chaco, Santa etc) are all within the realm of possibility for the actual story.
From what I can tell, this mod has events not shown in Cave Story and which were not declared as canon by Pixel, automatically making this mod non-canon. However, I believe it would be valid to say that this mod is fanon. I suggest you read up:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Canon
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Fanon

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:06 PM
HaydenStudios said:
From what I can tell, this mod has events not shown in Cave Story and which were not declared as canon by Pixel, automatically making this mod non-canon. However, I believe it would be valid to say that this mod is fanon. I suggest you read up:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Canon
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Fanon
Oh, that's the term. Gotcha. I suppose that'd make it Fanon.

But on that note, I wrestled with Scripting for the "Ragged Satchel" for a little while, even if there's only one Trinket for it to hold at the moment. It's going to hold alot more, but making the single trinket work was a feat all of its own.

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:12 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
This mod definitely has some personality to it. The sound effects were unique, and dare I say hit-or-miss. The thing that killed this for me was the non-stop trial-and-error at the beginning. There are too many spots where, if you make a wrong turn, you die. Couple that with the many invisible wall puzzles and you've got yourself one mod that punishes you for playing it the first time around and not knowing what to expect. After about the fifth insta-death spike kill, I just gave up. One neat thing I did like about this mod was the inventory. I got the satchel, but didn't find the trinket in the same room (damn invisible walls). The part of the inventory I liked was that whenever you hovered over an item, it made a sound depending on what item you went to. That's clever.

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:59 PM
Tpcool said:
This mod definitely has some personality to it. The sound effects were unique, and dare I say hit-or-miss. The thing that killed this for me was the non-stop trial-and-error at the beginning. There are too many spots where, if you make a wrong turn, you die. Couple that with the many invisible wall puzzles and you've got yourself one mod that punishes you for playing it the first time around and not knowing what to expect. After about the fifth insta-death spike kill, I just gave up. One neat thing I did like about this mod was the inventory. I got the satchel, but didn't find the trinket in the same room (damn invisible walls). The part of the inventory I liked was that whenever you hovered over an item, it made a sound depending on what item you went to. That's clever.
The thing about the wall puzzles is that I only intended for the player to really struggle with the first one, which would be in the old building. Because you obtain the Map System in there. From there on out, the invisible walls either show you the correct path via the map system showing a clear path, or via arrows visible in the walls themselves.

p179080-0-duqgq7j.png

Although I do agree that it was a little unforgiving; and perhaps save points should be less spread out? Having to recollect the Health Container and Satchel when you die was definitely a huge error that needs to be fixed.

Oh, and the trinket was located at the
human bone at the top of the invisible stairs

Perhaps I should make a subtle indicator of a trinkets location. Like the sparkle, but smaller.

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:06 PM
Off-screen redemption arc
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Can you please convert this to .zip format?

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:25 PM
Haven't touched this mod in awhile (maybe never will) but sure thing. It'll be up soon.
Here.

Mar 29, 2014 at 9:45 PM
Off-screen redemption arc
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Awesome, thanks. I hope you finish it, it's really awesome.

Jun 26, 2014 at 7:56 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Seems like this is a bump, too.
10/10 Spawned a Booster 2.0 and played the main storyline.