Making Fiends!

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:38 PM
essentially spirited away for an indefinite time.
"..."
http://www.makingfiends.com/

Check the ORIGINAL Web Episodes there. Making Fiends is about a girl named Vendetta who makes hideous monsters named "fiends", and about a girl named Charlotte, a happy-go-lucky girl. Charlotte never gets upset at all, and Vendetta seems to hate her.

Go on, watch it. Its awesome. :p

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:11 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Oh, why did I click the link? Why, oh why, do I like to hurt myself? So anyway, I sat through the whole first Web Original episode (excluding end credits) and nearly scratched my own eyes out in result.
Let's start with the good part. I like the animation style, it really fits the idea (however bad that idea may be). And... um... that's all. Really.
Now, with that said, the episode is absolutely horrible. It starts with an incredibly stupid theme song, sung by an annoying little girl's voice and with irritatingly stupid lyrics about what exactly is this crap about. It's short, but not short enough to prevent you from sticking your fingers so deep inside your ears it'll cause you brain damage.
So our story begins in front of an unidentified school with a child in front of it. A school bus arrives, drops off our protagonist, a dumb and annoying girl named Charlotte, and drives off. Her stupidity is established early on, as a giant red cat kills the other child and she only reacts by "Ooh, a kitty!"
But the bell rings and she must go find the classroom no. 4. In the next scene, we see all sorts of bad things going on in the school, as Charlotte counts the doors she walks by. I don't know why was the scene so important that the author of this "masterpiece" decided to include it, because it was neither funny, interesting nor contributed anything to the story. Oh, I'm sorry, I meant "story". By the way, I have to mention the animation again. Yes, the style is good, but the author wasn't able to utilize its full potential. Or any potential, for that matter. If you watch the scene and don't immediately think "I would've done that better" then there's something seriously wrong with you.
So, anyway. Charlotte enters the classroom and is greeted by her obviously nervous teacher. Why is he nervous? Well, it's because of... that... other girl from the opening theme... yeah. It reminds me of the classic The Twilight Zone episode "It's a Good Life" (which I've unfortunately never seen). So we're treated to the classic "we're all afraid of the person who'll arrive shortly" setup, in this case a girl that "makes things", but it kinda doesn't work. The acting is really bad, and all the "drama" is finally lost when the feared-by-all girl, Vendetta, enters the room, accompanied by a yellow bear. Wait, what? Vendetta? Vendetta?? Why the hell did they call her "Revenge"? No, wait, why the hell didn't they call her "Revenge"? At least that would've been a lot more original and imaginative! And her voice... oh god. Vendetta speaks with a (I guess) Russian accent for no good reason other than that the creator's Russian friend wanted to be in. Oh, and that bear is actually a giant yellow hamster. Yeah, even though it walks on its hind legs, has long forelegs (actually arms in disguise) and looks nothing like a fucking hamster! Oh god, let's move on...
So the lesson starts, but the Badly Named Chick bullies the teacher into calling a recess pretty much immediately, after which the Too Dumb To Live Chick gets up and leaves while saying "I love this school" (the closest this episode ever gets to a joke). After that, we find her on the swing in front of the school, where she is approached by V and her giant yellow hamster bear. These two try to bully the future Kelly Bundy by cutting the swing she's sitting on and suggesting that they can cut other things, too ("Cut her head off! She doesn't use it anyway!"), but the implication goes completely over her head.
And so our story ends with all both characters established, the series' theme set and the viewer on the verge of suicide. Seriously, this concept is stupid, but it would work in the hands of a moderately skilled individual. However, what we have here is unimaginative, unfunny, badly written, acted and animated piece of steaming dogshit. But what did you expect from a link our beloved Ryuuoutan posted. Now excuse me, I have to go scrub my brain.

tl;dr: Not worth checking out.

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:20 PM
"..."
Theres a TV series one, you can watch that.

Also, its not a bear, its a big hamster Vendetta made.

And Malachi wasnt actually killed. Marion is just an overweight girl who flees at any sign of danger. Marvin usually starts his sentences with "My".

Also, Vendetta's accent is Bulgarian.

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:49 PM
This Troper
Ryuuoutan said:
Theres a TV series one, you can watch that.
No, thanks, I'd rather poke my eyes out with a king cobra.

Ryuuoutan said:
Did you really think it was so necessary to clarify that?

Ryuuoutan said:
And Malachi wasnt actually killed. Marion is just an overweight girl who flees at any sign of danger. Marvin usually starts his sentences with "My".
Who's Malachi? Who's- Actually, nevermind. I don't care.

Ryuuoutan said:
Also, Vendetta's accent is Bulgarian.
And what's the difference?

Also, this belongs to the Media subforum.

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:50 PM
"..."
And just how should I know that?

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:52 PM
This Troper
Ryuuoutan said:
And just how should I know that?
By reasing the subforum description, maybe? Just like every normal human being would do?

Oct 1, 2009 at 11:44 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Simpsons did it.

Oh crap, I'm not allowed one-liners. Well, I'll save myself the trouble of watching this, since I have better ways to waste my time at the moment, but I will congratulate Ryuuoutan on reading that entire post of T-Jack's. Quite an accomplishment for you.
T-Jack said:
Oh, and that bear is actually a giant yellow hamster.
Ryuuoutan said:
Disregard that, I suck clocks.

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:14 AM
"..."
Funny thing: The name of Charlotte's teacher is Mr. Milk.

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:19 AM
How is that funny? Is he a cow, or really pasty, or what?
Look, if you want to watch quirky cartoon shows, why don't you pick good ones like Invader Zim and Clone High?

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:24 AM
"..."
I like Making Fiends more than those. Making Fiends was like, my best favorite TV cartoon. :p

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:27 AM
So you've seen Invader Zim AND Clone High?! AWESOME! *high-five*

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:28 AM
"..."
I dont think I have seen Clone High, but I think ive seen Invader Zim a long time ago. :p

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:28 AM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."
Making Fiends > Invader Zim?
IMPOSSIBLE!

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:29 AM
"..."
A little evil girl can take down a little evil boy. :/

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:32 AM
This Troper
Ryuuoutan said:
A little evil girl can take down a little evil boy. :/
Invader Zim has superior animation, voice acting, music and, what's the most important, story.

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:32 AM
I'm pretty sure Mr. Fist wasn't referring to a cage match, he was referring to the quality of the series. Which we will have to agree to disagree on, Ryuuoutan, but at least watch Clone High for me... oh wait, you probably wouldn't get it.

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:34 AM
"..."
So what? Vendetta's voice is better. Her animation (of course, in the TV series) is better. The Music (TV Series) is of coursely better.

She had better animation in the TV series.

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:37 AM
You saw Invader Zim a long time ago. You probably don't remember it that well. Also, you are wrong, Invader Zim is a better show and you should stop posting on this thread and enjoy Making Fiends in peace.

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:38 AM
"..."
...Watch the damn TV SERIES, then you'll see how more better she is.

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:42 AM
You know what? I will. For the sake of defending Invader Zim, I'm going to watch Making Fiends and put aside all the prejudice I have developed over the last hour or so.
I'm only letting you say Makinng Fiends is better than Invader Zim because it obviously holds emotional value for you, such as nostalgia. I know a few crappy games that I will love forever because I played them so much during my childhood.
But you have to realize that you're wrong.

Oh wait, crap. How do I watch the TV series? It doesn't come on here, any channel. And I can't use Hulu because I'm Canadian.