[MA Winner] <(Schism)> - Demo 1.0

Feb 3, 2009 at 3:37 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Xaser said:
About the slopes: some maps (Highway in particular) probably need a lot of TLC in that area. I'll take care of it at some point before the full release. Funny how us crazy modders keep coming up with ways to break the game, eh?
Do you have a plan for the slopes?

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:20 PM
"Huzzah!"
@Wedge: I'm not too keen on the new one either but I do think it's a slight bit of an improvement... the old one was almost a direct ripoff of Pixel's original, which bothered me for some reason. Not like that makes sense considering how not much else is original, but I'm weird like that. ;P

@Serious: Well, I don't have much of a plan to speak of aside from going in and messing with the maps a bit. Why do you ask?

@Jacob: Ooh, Im interested to see this now! Just make it funny. ;P

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:56 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
OMG IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!

And I'm not completely done playing the new demo. However, I've spotted a few bugs, though they're pretty minor.

POssible spoilers:
- The broken robot in the room where Xaser finds his gun. When you first talk to it, you can hear text-rolling sounds before you say that it's broken or something. I think it's because there's some unrecognisable script there... o.o
- In Shortcut, there's a slope with it's back exposed such that if you touch the exposed back, you teleport onto the top of the slope (The slope directly to your left at the very first time you enter Shortcut)
- This glitch is also in Shotcut. There's a corner just above the glitched slope I just mentioned where you stuff yourself in, and somehow cause the air timer to start. >.>;;

That's all I've found so far. =P

(Awesome intro btw. How the heck did you do that?!)

Edit - Oh and what's TLC o.o I can't use the search for that as it has only 3 letters to it e.e

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:18 PM
"Huzzah!"
Ah, thanks. Two of the buggies have been mentioned but I didn't notice the exposed slope 'til now. Thanks! How did I miss that one? ;o

As for the intro? ANCIENT CHINESE SECRET

And TLC? That's "tender loving care," you knuckleheads. ;P
(That wasn't an insult -- I was referencing something ;P)

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:57 PM
"..."
I asked because I was curious if you had a good answer that annoying slopes are foreground only problem. Along time ago I was messing with 3d'ish graphics and ended up using a giant ugly flower to coverup converging backgrounds and foregrounds. Now I use sprite 77 (the guy in yamashita farm) as fake background tiles.

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:33 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Me and Metalogz are Chinese.

Your sentence is flawed. :p

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:33 PM
"Huzzah!"
SeriousFace said:
I asked because I was curious if you had a good answer that annoying slopes are foreground only problem. Along time ago I was messing with 3d'ish graphics and ended up using a giant ugly flower to coverup converging backgrounds and foregrounds. Now I use sprite 77 (the guy in yamashita farm) as fake background tiles.

Ah, the sinking road problem. Yes, it's been fixed-ish using a very similar method. You can see it in the demo -- I cut out the "overlapping" parts of the roads and copied them to an entity's sprite instead, which I stuck on the landscape to provide the missing section of road. Voila! Problem solved.

Here's a question though: do enemies still walk behind your fake background when you use sprite 77? I somehow didn't think of using the Sandaime objects and I opted for the "Red flowers" sprites instead (234 and 229). The one slight side-effect is it seems like enemies still walk behind them, which looks a little silly-ish, no doubt.

Thanks for the tip. I may wind up switching sprites if it seems to work better when enemies are afoot.

@jcys: For all you know I could be Chinese. I never specified my nationality, did I? ;P

But for the record, I am all of them.

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:11 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Xaser said:
Ah, thanks. Two of the buggies have been mentioned but I didn't notice the exposed slope 'til now. Thanks! How did I miss that one? ;o

And TLC? That's "tender loving care," you knuckleheads. ;P

Np ^^;;

And about the intro, is it possible to make it full screen o.o

And here I was thinking that TLC was some variation of TSC. -_-||

Feb 5, 2009 at 10:29 AM
Justin-chan
But for the record, I am all of them.
wut..?

Oh yeah, as for the gamod, I feel that you should include a save point after you switch to Kate, because like well, you may not make it past the Gaudis alive and have to rebattle Enigma.

Feb 5, 2009 at 12:33 PM
graters gonna grate
Xaser said:

Umm... remind me again why that's a spoiler??

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:28 PM
"Huzzah!"
It spoils the humorous semi-sarcasm. :)

Also, I probably *should* stick a save spot in the Detention Center after the scene. Somehow I never thought of the possibility of death at that point, but it would be a huge problem having to go through Enigma and the cutscene again and again. No fun, that would be. I'll change momentarily.

Feb 6, 2009 at 2:15 PM
"..."
Xaser said:
Here's a question though: do enemies still walk behind your fake background when you use sprite 77? I somehow didn't think of using the Sandaime objects and I opted for the "Red flowers" sprites instead (234 and 229). The one slight side-effect is it seems like enemies still walk behind them, which looks a little silly-ish, no doubt.
All my enemys are in front of the sprite77, but i think its because i place them on the map after all the sprite77. That'll probably work with the flowers too.

Feb 6, 2009 at 4:01 PM
"Huzzah!"
Ah, thanks, Serious. That was it. I put some new enemies and they show up in front this time. At least it's an easy fix.

I guess I owe a Demo 1.1 soon to fixify a few problems, eh?

Feb 9, 2009 at 12:48 AM
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
yes. yes you do.

Feb 21, 2009 at 10:23 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Love the Mighty Boosh reference in the Archives place
I love this mod how you've given some of the maps a sort of 3d effect
I can't wait to see another demo

Mar 10, 2009 at 11:09 PM
graters gonna grate
Alright, before you all yell at me for bumping an old thread/talking to a dead member, this is relevant, and though Xaser currently is not on the forums, he will probably return with another update eventually.

Anyway, Xaser, I just noticed that, at the beginning of this mod, you have the same "jerky camera motion" problem that Kaeso had in Curly Brace's Story. This occurs when you forget to use <FOM0016 at the end of a cutscene, but it's not really obvious because the camera focus is automatically restored to the player when you use the <TRA command. If you don't get what I mean, read the Curly Brace's Story thread; I posted a more detailed explanation of the problem and how to fix it in that thread. Basically, just make sure you always remember to put <FOM0016 at the end of any cutscene in which camera focus moves away from the player.

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:31 PM
"Huzzah!"
Hey, now. Whoever said I was dead? ;o

Thanks for the tip, Wedge. Somehow I must have missed this. It's fixed now.

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:12 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
Huzzah!

*Blink-blink*
HOLY FUUKING SHITE IT'S TEH XASER!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
A-hem.
Wheeeeeeeeeee!
Schism!

Mar 13, 2009 at 8:40 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
iSpam
I never got to ask, could I borrow Plumber Syndrome at some unspecified point in the future for use in a mod? Like, several years probably? >_>;

EDIT: And maybe Spire too while I'm at it?

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:37 PM
"..."
Yo, hey about using an entity to replace background tiles. It seems entities with projectiles (i've tested this with mammon, and arrow angels) shoot there projectiles behind the background entity. So be careful.